Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by veeboy31, 4 Jan 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zootierliste indicates that there are 3 Belgian holders at present.

Bellewaerde have a relatively young proven breeding pair so he's unlikely to be there. I think Antwerp have also got a pair, so that leaves Monde Sauvage. Not sure what their situation is at present but I suspect this is his most likely destination

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Antwerp seems pretty unlikely as that area of the zoo will be completely renovated/demolished in the near future.

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Leopards aren't mentioned on the initial species list. Doesn't mean they haven't taken the opportunity though

5. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Antwerp has one male: Jarolim.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. littleRedPanda

Poor old fella.

8. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

That is sad news :(

What sort of age is a good age for a brown bear ? I would imagine 27 is quite elderly in the terms of a bear, would that be correct ?

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very possibly, at least for one kept in sub-optimal conditions in small cramped cages such as these endured for many years.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

There are a number of records of brown bears living until their late thirties.

Nevertheless, I think that twenty-seven is quite a respectable age for a brown bear to reach; the two brown bears at Whipsnade, that were euthanised because of "age related health issues", were in their mid-twenties.

StoppableSan, marmolady and pipaluk like this.
  11. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for posting this. Very sad news, I'm actually pretty gutted - really wanted a happy ending for all four bears but the rescue should still be viewed as a great success overall.

However, I'm really disappointed in the park; there doesn't seem to be anything on their website yet about Amu's death, and their Twitter is pull of absolute drivel. I'm all for a bit of fun but proper news is more important; their communication is shocking in my opinion.

StoppableSan and Loxodonta Cobra like this.
  12. littleRedPanda

I saw a couple of visitor comments earlier today on their facebook suggesting he'd died, but no confirmation other than the link posted earlier. maybe they really are just that upset about it.

13. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They've clearly written a press release though, and they have a page on their website announcing the sad news - although strangely it doesn't appear to be linked up to any other part of the site (someone on Facebook posted a link direct to that page, otherwise I'd have never found it!).

Generally speaking, zoos seem absolutely rubbish at sharing bad news. Hamerton being a recent, and notable exception.

14. RedPanDan

RedPanDan Member

5 Visayan Warty Piglets born.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  15. woody505

woody505 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is there a good time too see the brown bears active? Spent 30 mins on Saturday waiting too see them. Another enclosure design at the zoo that if there inside its tough luck. No boards or signs up yet to read for information about them too pass the time. I know it's a hard decision from the zoo over what's best for the animal and enjoyment of the public. Not seen a leopard in last four visits now :(

16. 73SLMK

73SLMK Active Member

17. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't suppose it's the apes I've been waiting (im)patiently for since year 1! They used to talk of gibbons being imminent!

(Edit, no, I guess apes would either destroy or escape that woodland in no time!)

Last edited: 4 Oct 2018
    StoppableSan likes this.
  18. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I've never seen a full Leopard there. I sometimes have seen a tail hanging over the edge of a platform, and occasionally noticed one in the off show section when looking across from the Africa platform but I've yet to see them well enough to get a decent picture.

Not been since the Bears have arrived, but it's on my to do list. I would imagine that with the miserable weather due the next 3-4 days, they will be more active.

19. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For anyone wanting to visit today the Zoo are offering a Wild Weather Day. Taken From FB.
    ⚠️Wild Weather Day ⚠️

Weather-watchers will have spotted that the weather for this Saturday looks a bit wet, so we're pleased to announce we'll be having a Wild Weather Day!

Everyone who visits us tomorrow will get a FREE RETURN ticket that they can use on another day!

Get free VIP-access to an area of the Park that is usually off limits to the public. Find out tomorrow which location it will be and what times you can visit - it could be anything from the Giraffe House to the Polar Bear house!

✂️ Indoor crafts, story time and brilliant indoor and covered play areas for the little monkeys to run around in! Don't worry, we'll make sure our little Monkeys aren't running around in the same play areas

☂️ Beautiful animals who you can spot whatever the weather!

So don't scrap your Saturday plans - come and see us and have a SPLASHING day out

Zia and FunkyGibbon like this.
  20. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Devastating news, unfortunately Tongki the polar bear that was due to arrive here next month has sadly passed away. Statement on YWP fb page, for some reason I can't upload it here (phone issues)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.