Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by OrangePerson, 11 Apr 2012.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Note also the direct quote from the director regarding giraffes arriving 'this month', suggesting they're comfortably on target for October half term being on-show. Looking forward to that.

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really really do hope they will finally take all the hybrid females' off Belfast and Dublin Zoos, so they can - from now on - breed pure-bred giraffe only and open up space at both these facilities to perhaps take on a few more Rothschildt's giraffe!!!!! :) :confused:

3. Maguari

Everything subject to change of course but YWP have always talked of getting Rothschild's, and bearing in mind the strong Woburn links of the staff... who knows?

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, I know ... (you all told me off :D already), but it is nice just on the wishing well ....! So be it ..., it will be youngsters ex Woburn + a few additions from elsewhere.

5. Maguari

Looks like we're both right!

All the info you could possibly want on YWP's giraffes:

Source: Wall Photos | Facebook

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One down, three to go. Palle (A Reticulated) has arrived from Copenhagen on schedule and is said to be settling in well

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

YWP , along with Colchester, get my vote for the most informative news bulletins. Everything you might want to know about the new Giraffes is included here. 'Hats off' to YWP and I hope they keep up this quality of information.:)

8. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Good to see this park making progress, well done to all at Doncaster.

9. Gary D

Gary D Active Member

I like the idea of them being allowed to wander freely in African Plains. Will look forward to that. I've no doubt there will still be complaints by people who can't see them well enough because of the size of the area.

As regards PR, they're doing a great job on Facebook, showing off the inside of the Giraffe House and several pictures of Palle.

10. max

max Well-Known Member

Great news about the giraffes, they will be an excellent addition.

Is there any word yet on a more perminant home for the young raccoon dogs?

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Two down, two to go. Jambo arrived safe and well from Woburn this afternoon, Jasper from West Mids is currently en-route and should arrive later tonight

12. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Japser has just arrived!

13. Gary D

Gary D Active Member

14. Pertinax

Everything here looks very well built and fences and hardstandings in tiptop condition. I can think of a couple of other places that could take a leaf out of YWP's book.;)

I still don't like the design/location of the very 'open' Leopard enclosure though- I don't feel it is very suited at all to this species- an enclosure in a woodland, or partially wooded, setting, would IMO have been far more suitable.

15. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Judging by the film it looks a first class exhibit, for both animals and the visitors, there is room for sixteen giraffes!. It really does say something when a zoo that has only been open for a relatively short period of time has been able to invest £350,000 in a brand new giraffe exhibit, while this very day at another zoo which has nearly been open for fifty years, is due to discontinue with giraffes and send their two females to Blair Drummond,a zoo, which has held giraffe in its collection virtually from the beginning when its founders bought the first from Jimmy Chipperfield for £600, it had no hair on its tail at the time of purchase, this eventually grew:):)

16. Gary D

Gary D Active Member

I spoke to one of the 'keepers who told me that they planned to build an enclosure close to where they are at present ( near the macaws - but exactly where she didn't know ). Also they are being trained up as Animals in Action for next summer. Training is slow - they've just about learnt not to bite people ;)

I've added a few pictures of the very new additions to the park, which I took yesterday. I never realised they were so graceful. Can't wait to see them on African Plains next year.

17. Gary D

Gary D Active Member

The obvious answer to that is that YWP is in its embryonic stages. It's only about three years old compared to 50.

However, if it continues with its expansion masterplan and joins breeding programmes for the giraffes, leopards and tigers, to name species already in situ, ( and already discussed ), I can't see interest diminishing anytime soon.

18. Pertinax

Apart from anything else, YWP has filled a vacant 'niche' by being the only major Zoo/Wildlife Park in a region with very few animal collections, so they are almost bound to prosper, as well as becoming the best quality collection in the region.

19. Gary D

Gary D Active Member

That is quite true. Previously, a trip to the zoo for me would have been a 180 mile round trip whereas now it is 30 or 40 at worst. When the new airport link road is built, I'll be even closer :).

I can leave home at 3.30, spend two hours in the park and be home for 6.30! I was champing at the bit to go there when the lions first arrived ; I've not been away for more than a couple of months since.

It seems to be a popular destination for primary schools all over Yorkshire. On Wednesday, there were schools from West, East, South and even North Yorkshire in attendance.

I also think that there is a sizeable number of people doing multiple visits like myself. It would be interesting to know how many annual passes they have sold this year. The giraffes are only going to add to that number.

Good times for me and YWP :D

20. Pertinax

A lot of those children will go home and pester their parents to take them back again, so that will be a whole lot more families paying their entrance fees too.

Eveyone is (hopefully) a winner here.