Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by OrangePerson, 11 Apr 2012.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I hope it flourishes and gets a lot more species in the next few years; the northeast is starved for good collections.

2. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

And always has been!

3. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Just a snippet of news from my visit today; the Raccoon Dog exhibit home to the two elderly females has been demolished to make way for the Baboon exhibit. The Raccoon Dogs are now both near the Meerkats.

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Sounds like the Raccoon Dogs are back where they started!

Do we know as yet which species of baboon/where they are coming from?

5. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Pure guess, but Edinburgh's Guinea Baboon troupe?

6. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Having seen what you posted in August I believe the Raccoon Dogs are at the back of the Meerkats/Mongoose. I hazard a guess that they will be Hamadryas Baboons as I doubt that Gelada's will be a bit too special. My first thought instantly was Edinburgh's Baboons.

7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

That would be nice!

8. Gary D

Gary D Active Member

Paid my last visit of the year today and boy was it quiet, and drenched in some areas, with the recent rain :/. Can't have been more than twenty in when I went about 1.30. Although talks were advertised, I guess they decided it wasn't worth the effort as the advertised ones did not take place. Palle has a flexion injury ( whatever that is! ) and has a limp as a result. A plus point was finally seeing one of the leopards at close quarters. It was mooching up and down past the glass viewing partition - seeming to be disturbed by some building works going on in the waterworks behind the giraffes. I will post photos soon to see if anyone can identify which one. Not much else to add other than the completion of the new playbarn has been delayed until the new year and has come in over-budget at £1.3m, thus meaning the temporary shelving of the development of the present building housing the playbarn, coffee bar and gift shop. Also, the path through the woods has been greatly improved and should alleviate the accumulation of large puddles of water. Lions were as imperious as ever and Vlad was very regally surveying us walking past ;). Most animals were tucked away out of the cold.