Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by OrangePerson, 24 Jan 2013.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not big news to start with but John Minion was just on the radio talking about 'snow and animals' ably assisted by some very loud lions.

Unsurprisingly he mentioned baboons being next but also suggested that they will expand vastly in the next 3 or 4 yrs, I guess at the rate they are going that's not such a surprise but it would take the park to about 3 times the current size which is a tall order!

He said visitor numbers were up about 10% last year.

Visited on New Years Day, sad to learn that my favourite, Silver the very pale ringtail lemur, has died so they are now left with the one (expanding) family. One of the original brown lemurs also died.

Monty the circus camel is with the others but was sitting on his own.

Some of the eland were separated, possibly just the females. There were tiny lechwe, those animals appear to breed like the proverbial rabbits. The wetlands were certainly living up to their name and the bottom end of the tiger enclosures were flooded.

Nice to be able to go in the giraffe house where Jasper, the biggest was very active checking out the keeper coming to feed them.

Managed to see all 3 leopards but no idea which was which as there was no one about to ask!

2. cawtey7

cawtey7 Member

Would be interesting to see what future plans they have

3. OrangePerson

There used to be a link to the collection plan - you can try looking through previous threads. I'm waiting (not so) patiently for the orangutans & gorillas!

4. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Oh no not Gorillas! Can't they get something interesting instead?

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

It was reported that Giant Anteaters and Baboons (Species unknown at the moment) were due to arrive within the year. But knowing YWP I suspect some very nice little surprises in store for 2013. :D

6. OrangePerson

Facebook: First phase of the new playbarn will be open for half term and the second phase will have a window looking onto the baboon enclosure which should be completed in spring.

7. max

max Well-Known Member

Popped in on Sunday and park was very busy.
    Had a look at the new play barn and have to say it looks very impressive. It appears to be mostly timber, as opposed to the "traditional" foam padded, metal type - like an outdoor playarea inside, infact. Provides an extra cafe, seating and somewhere to shelter if the weather turns bad though - YWP is a very open to the eliments type zoo with little shelter or indoor attractions. And with the playbarn being part of the baboon experience (there are carved baboons on the playarea) this will be an added bonus.

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Baboons have arrived today. They are Guinea's

Last edited: 28 Mar 2013
  9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are they from Edinburgh?;) If so I wonder if its the whole lot or just part of their group.

10. BearCat

BearCat Well-Known Member

If they are from Edinburgh it won't be the whole group as there are 17 baboons now at Yorkshire. Edinburgh has over 30 I believe.

11. Pertinax

If from a group already in the UK they have to be from either Edinburgh or Port Lympne, but my guess would be Edinburgh somehow.

12. OrangePerson

Edinburgh, the rest are going to France.

They went outside for the first time today and promptly rearranged the planting & ate some of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 29 Mar 2013
  13. Pertinax

Probably back to Paris Vincennes where they originate from?

The enclosure looks excellent. A pity they will wreck any planting but that's Baboons for you.

14. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Again, a refreshing air of permanence for a relatively small British zoo. Things like the lion bridge and the leopard viewing platform just have a(n almost Germanic) feeling of being built to last - something you don't always get from smaller UK zoos.

15. OrangePerson

I really love standing on the bridge with roaring coming from all around and the lions were very lively. If there was a mane growing world record I think Dani (the one with spinal problems) would be in with a chance, his mane is huge. :)

They are hoping for their millionth visitor over the Easter period. People have really taken to it, many of the people there visit frequently from comments you overhear.

Here's to the giant anteaters!

I guess this (pics) is what you mean :)

Attached Files:

16. Pertinax

Did you see the photos of Edinburgh's old Gorilla enclosure(now Pandas) after the Baboons had been in it a few weeks? This could soon look the same.;) This enclosure looks almost too good for Baboons really! But what I do like about it is that they have clearly designed a terrestrial enclosure for a largely terrestrial species- with only a limited climbing paraphernalia in the centre, which is all they need really.

I have not been here but I agree with Maguari that their enclosures do look very well constructed, not the more usual 'cheap and cheerful' style one associates with smaller and developing zoos and parks. Certainly a refreshing change.

17. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice pics :) Can someone explain the blue tag-looking things in the baboons' ears? I've never seen something like that...

18. Pertinax

I didn't notice them till you mentioned it. I haven't either but would guess they are numbered ID tags like the eartags in cattle/antelope etc. I do think they detract a bit from their appearance though.

19. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah that's what they looked like to me. Very odd, never seen then in primates before. Didn't think they were used in such dexterous species! They look rather huge too, almost the same size as their ears!

20. OrangePerson

Male eland born, first breeding at the park.

From Facebook