Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 11 Jan 2017.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I went yesterday the lemurs are closed and they are being held in a shed with two aviaries attached opposite the meerkats behind the fence where the plant rooms are. They are off show but can be seen quite easily above the fence.

Tigers were showing really well and are growing fast.
    The third polar bear enclosure looks nearly complete although all the work was being done on the lemurs.

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Visited today - could see the Ruffed Lemurs but no sign of Ring-tails. As well as the lemurs, the river hogs are effectively off show as well (though you can see them, just about, from path to the woodland play area).

Once the grass takes and the rhinos actually get to showing themselves that area will be very nice. ;)

I was surprised at the level of engineering in the new camel paddock (not only a huge steel stable block but also a raised path for viewing) but given it's YWP I probably shouldn't have been. Chapman's Zebras still in a paddock behind the camels.

Agree that the third bear enclosure looks very close to finished from what can be seen - the mock-rock cave is in and all looking good to go.

Wild Dog pups were stealing the show today (and why not?) - but I was also happy to finally actually see the armadillos!

4. wayne4swfc

[QUOTE="Maguari, post: 1007076, I was surprised at the level of engineering in the new camel paddock (not only a huge steel stable block but also a raised path for viewing) but given it's YWP I probably shouldn't have been. Chapman's Zebras still in a paddock behind the camels.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about this with my friend when we visited, I wondered if the raised path is to extend across the paddock if they decide to expand further that way as I believe the original plan for Orangs was down that side and there isn't much room to expand in any other direction without moving the entrance or support buildings.

Also noticed the zebra, I thought these were moving to another collection? Seems strange not to have them on show there is plenty of room in Into Africa for a lot more hoofstock, especially when the giraffes aren't using it. I have to agree that when the grass takes on both sides and the rhinos start showing it should look really good.

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Ah - yes, very possibly.

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I recently acquired a guidebook to Yorkshire Wildlife Park and I've been following the extraordinary progress of the facility since it opened in early 2009. There is certainly a lot of space for exhibits as the guidebook states that Lion Country is 9 acres in size; Project Polar is a 10-acre site; Land of the Tiger is "one of the largest tiger exhibits in Europe" and Leopard Heights is "the largest Amur leopard enclosure in the world".

How are all of the new exhibits funded? When does the black rhino complex open? Also, at what point does Yorkshire Wildlife Park become one of the top 5 zoos in all of England? :)

7. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

really , its not one of the best for viewing sadly now that you cant walk down the side :-(

8. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It already is open look at the YWP gallery some photos of the enclosure have been posted by Maguari

9. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe (happy to stand corrected) that one of the partners is a builder therefore very good exhibits are produced very cost-effectively. The funding, which would still be substantial, comes from the very large visitor numbers from an area which is otherwise a "zoo desert".

It's still got quite a way to go because, whilst pretty much all the exhibits are very well done, it doesn't really have that many species. I love the place but it's like nouvelle cuisine -there's not really that much there (at a pace you could easily see everything in a couple of hours) but it's all presented perfectly.

10. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On way home from a surprise birthday visit & boy did first impressions impress!!!! Can't actually decide if there is a best part, highlights include
    * Seeing Hodari & Dayo who were going great guns around the paddock, surprised at how small they are (forgetting how young they are)
    * Project Polar has got to be one of the best habitats in british zoos, was able to see Victor & the youngsters so well worth going
    * Giant Otters were extremely playful and got a fantastic view of them
    * giraffe paddock not as big as expected, considering house apparently can hold up to 16 according to website, don't know if any more have been sourced or whether they are sticking to 4, great viewing platform
    * saw glimpse of Amur Leopard, again nice enclosure
    * Lion Country layout is great, don't know if any other zoo/park could offer such a great recuperating home
    * fantastic view of the tigers from doughnut shop & all 3 were active
    * Great walkthrough enclosures in the wallabies & South America Viva
    * Painted dog pups were out & terrorising mum until she put them in their place & baboon enclosure was a good layout

Overall IMO one of the best parks in Britain considering it's the youngest and other places could learn a lot from them

11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

looks like you missed half of them then :D looked like mum was trying to put distance between herself and the cubs today ... maybe getting to that age of separation?

12. 73SLMK

73SLMK Active Member

There are indeed 4 tigers at that end, including mum Tschuna who has been 'banished to the nursery pen as the boys were getting a little too boisterous when Tschuna was recently in season!! Vlad & Sayan are usually in the other enclosure.
    The painted dog pups are quite a handful these days and are growing rapidly. Typical dogs though and lovely to watch when they are chasing about.
    Dayo & Hodari are getting very brave these days and wandering further into their respective enclosures each time we visit.
    Having visited quite a few parks/zoos in recent years, I have to admit that YWP remains my favourite. Would love some Orangutan and elephants to make experience complete!

13. Embu

At the doughnuts there were 3 that i saw & another 2 (presumably Vlad & Sayan) in the other enclosure, hard to keep up when pushing a wheelchair! I would like to see more giraffe if they can accommodate them ? Overall I can`t see too much changing in the near future (apart from Project Polar) but this won`t necessarily be a bad thing

14. wayne4swfc

The giraffe have access to the grass paddock and the other house, I imagine that to hold the amount quoted the other house would be adapted to hold them full time.
    Planning has finally been granted for the okapi enclosure so hopefully they won't be too long in arriving.
    I would like them to develop the area near the camels further next.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2017
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

By the other house (giraffe) is referred to what building?

I assume if this is so much the bigger in accomodation and room, they have had the go ahead for a breeding group. Should be interesting whether this is Rothschild's (Nubian) or another (sub-)species!

More okapi holders in the UK is certainly more than welcome!

16. wayne4swfc

It is not so much a house but the shelter that is currently in the African savannah. The giraffes have access to an area at the back of the house for if the weather turns. It couldn't be used as permenant housing without a lot of work but the skeleton of the building is there.

17. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Who are Hodari and Dayo?

It isn't quite the youngest, with several opening since YWP, even one opening this previous Saturday.

18. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are the Black Rhinos

19. Embu

Thank you for the clarifications, I've still got an awful lot to learn about zoos/safari parks, but I'm enjoying learning. Also saw my first armadillo yesterday who entertained everybody by running back & forth around the enclosure, is this normal behavior ?

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Pretty much normal,might throw in the odd bit of digging every now and again but running about,like a clock work toy is what Armadillos do apart from sleep,which they are also very good at!

Brum likes this.