Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 11 Jan 2017.

1. Emma B York

Emma B York New Member

Announcement on Facebook that there are 2 new Capybara's - Jessie & Juno.
    I did ask after Martha when I was there in January, and she had passed away

2. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From FB
    "YORKSHIRE WILDLIFE PARK REBRAND

Yorkshire Wildlife Park has a reputation for doing things differently, disrupting the norms of zoos and wildlife parks. Our offer is current and ever evolving. Our visual identity needed to reflect that change, without losing the heart, soul and passion that was the original inspiration for Yorkshire Wildlife Park. There is an exciting future ahead ..."

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ok, I've watched the film, but why does YWP feel the need to re-brand? It's a great zoo, surely the best way to attract new visitors is to build a new enclosure or two for some new species instead of throwing money at publicity companies & having to spend money on new signs, new stationery etc! I've seen this re-branding nonsense at Marwell & ZSL, it doesn't add anything to my enjoyment of a zoo! I'm sure the public are more worried about the animals they can see than the signs?!

dean and Benosaurus like this.
  4. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I
    I wondered the same, a great part of the video was spent explaining the zebra and then didn't go on to explain the change. I can only think that it must be a new change of direction somewhere.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree I could not see any explanation of how, or why really, its being rebranded- the only difference I could see was the zebra on the logo at the beginning has been replaced by a paw print at the end.

6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agreed. Does the paw print add anything? If it was clearly an image of a polar bear, I might understand the waste of money more, as having the only ones in England might be worth publicising, but the re-branding shown will add nothing

Loxodonta Cobra and zoogiraffe like this.
  7. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I always thought the zebra was a little lacklustre, and I think rebranding was a good idea, but the result is very disappointing. It basically looks like the kind of sign you'd see outside a place with a sheep and a couple of hedgehogs. A big snarling polar bear face would have been so much better.

If people watch the video it is also full of that "we're not like other zoos" nonsense. Not a big fan.

(Still planning to visit though)

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I know this is just PR-speak, but what is it supposed to mean? What norms are they disrupting?

9. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I watched the video and don't feel the new logo does the big ideas they have for the place any favours I agree with what FG says, it looks like some roadside animal encountter place.
    A selection of animal faces would have been better, like the circus posters of old. (You may not have agreed with them, but they did grab your attention).

10. Pertinax

I can only think its a reference to starting from scratch and building up a large/reputable collection containing several ABC's in a short space of time, also rescuing Lions and giving them a large enclosure,then following on with the very large Polar Bear enclosures too.

If I were them I'd have used Polar Bear in their 'rebranding' logo as its their most identifiable species plus they have the 'only ones' in England.

11. Pertinax

That reference is always silly IMO- all Zoos are 'like other Zoos', some are just better than others.:)

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male Amur Tiger, Hector (Born March 2015) has departed for Cleveland Metroparks Zoo in the USA this week

13. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

14. Pertinax

Haha. The only Zoo April Fool I've seen so far this year.;)

15. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lemur Woods has now been reopened:

"Lemur Woods has now reopened for the Summer 2017 season!

With a brand new house with indoor viewing window and lots of new climbing enrichment for the lemurs to explore. Lemur Woods at Yorkshire Wildlife Park is an exciting walk-through adventure into the world of our endangered Madagascan Black and White Roughed lemurs and Ring-tailed lemurs."

Interesting spelling of 'ruffed'

16. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

One Amur Leopard departed from YWP to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs, via UK zoo couriers JCS. Recent, but I don`t know when exactly.

17. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not seen it mentioned but YWP submitted an application at the beginning of May for screening an area for change of use to an extension to the Wildlife park and a hotel and spa.

Seems that there's no plans of the growth slowing. Doesn't seem to be much support for the idea from the Environemnt agency and wildlife groups.

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  18. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://www.yorkshirewildlifepark.com/consultation/

19. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Of course the immediate question is what will the new animals be. I'm particularly interested in why one new animal attraction is colour-coded blue instead of green.

How much further space is around the park? five new exhibits per 150 acres seems like an unsustainable pace to expand at in the long run.

SealionLDN likes this.
  20. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hopefully birds!!!!