Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Azubaa, 1 Jan 2019.

1. robking1991

robking1991 Member

I'm probably being thick but where can you see the plans? When I click the link it doesn't show anything :(

This is a place I cannot wait to visit within the next couple of years!

2. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I definitely think that this will be for the gorillas the “island” which according to the plans is built up to give a prominent view is connected to the larger building and looks like it would be perfect for gorilla or another ape. Can’t see anything else it would be suitable for.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Do you have pdf reader on your device? It's a 50 page document that takes a few seconds to load.

4. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Given that ywp go for mainly abc animals in there collection do you think the new Asia section could include giant panda I know they are expensive but they do appear to pay for them selves in the long run. It’s been so long since a collection in England has held them compared to other western countries and given there location and love of bears is this such a long shot

5. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Read through whole thing on that link and can't find anywhere it names the species ? what page ?

6. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’s on the map itself on the very last page, you might have to zoom in but the enclosures are named.

7. littleRedPanda

00749323.pdf doesn't appear to available anymore and I can't see the map with species on the later pdf

8. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here hoping the Hippos have underwater viewing with filtered water. My expectation is for a big muddy pond with just the nostrils showing.

9. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

go to Doncaster council website. Go to planning. Search for Wildlife Park, the plans are still there.

10. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No they don't, the experience of most zoos is that they're a financial black hole.

Whilst "year one" visitors tend to soar, within a few years the extra visitors tend to fall to a trickle but the zoo still has to pay the "rental" and food costs until the end of the ten year "lease".

If you could have them for one or two years and house them in an existing enclosure you might just about make a profit but unless they breed you're losing money after that.

If it was such a financial sound investment more zoos would have obtained them. Giant Pandas are obtained/displayed for ego/status by zoos with deep pockets (or national subsidies) -not for financial gain!

11. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I have to disagree. Giant Panda generally spell a financial nightmare - which is probably why not more collections bother with them.

12. J C

First visit of the year today, busy as to be expected and nasty weather cold and heavy fog not helping the view over some of the exhibits, that didn't hamper the view of the brown bears though, they where nicely tucked away indoors :(. Was wondering though if any body else has the same thought as me, now don't get me wrong love the place and the work they do. But do you think some of the enclosures are a little to big for the size of the place, I am all for big elclosures for the animals welfare obviously but it's not like a whipsnade with its backing to support or actual land space I suspect. Given the species they hold to land covered I wonder if they are creating a president they would find difficult to continue, take the space given to there three rhino, if they where to house elephants in the future say a good heard of six, by ratio they would need an area by comparison of mabey three times the size could they give them this much along with other species. Was wondering if they have already realised this with the comparitvly small area given to the okapi and the forth polar bear area yet to be begun construction so long after there arrival. The problem also being now they could never decrease there current enclosure size as they have now set there president. Also on another note today listened to the polar bear talk, he told us the boys are all in season at the min so have been separted as they would end up fighting to prove there worth as a mate, boys will be boys. But did say it would be unlikely to have a female as this would give them something to actually fight over so would have to move on three of the boys, so are currently happy to just remain a all male collection.

13. littleRedPanda

I think they know what they are doing and are doing it very well.

amaroc likes this.
  14. J C

I know and realise that they are doing a good job, just thought some exhibits are extra large and some mabey a little to small by the other exhibits standards. The polar bears obviously had to have a large exhibit, to reintroduce a spicies in England that has a PC past of small, pit type enclosures something special had to be done to get over the publics perception of them in the zoos.

15. littleRedPanda

The only exhibit that I've questioned is the Leopards, but saying that, i've generally wondered why leopard (non snowie types) enclosures are so small. Do leopards feel more at ease in smaller enclosures? As for the Okapi, i've only been once since it was completed and wondered if it was temporary.

16. Mikealbat

Mikealbat Member

Any more thoughts about new exhibits at the park? I would love to think that YWP could be added to the European Red Panda breeding program, I think that we currently have 82 in UK zoos with 11 born last year, and that YWP could be ideally suited to be part of this important effort. Agree?

17. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think the main issue is that the waiting list is so long - so unless they're already on there, they'll be waiting a long time.

18. littleRedPanda

Popped in today.
    The two male brown bears were out for a bit, but neither were looking as energetic as when they first arrived. I was told they are both possibly suffering from arthritis and may not have been able to cope with the weight gain as hoped.
    The new enclosure across the water from the tigers is taking shape and looks like a walkway will be in place soon.

19. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

It's unknown what will go in it?

20. littleRedPanda

I think it was always intended for the Brown bears, as what they are in now is temporary. Saying that, after watching them for a bit and talking to a local, I wondered if it would be wasted on them as the female still spends most of the day popping her head out of the doorway, but returning inside. One of the two boys can spend a long time circling along a route, before returning to the indoors, although they occasionally have a wrestle in the water.

FunkyGibbon likes this.