Join our zoo community

You might belong or be on zoochat if...

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by JBZvolunteer, 5 Apr 2012.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Road trips are rough, because you almost cannot stand the fact that you are driving through a city with a zoo you've never been to before but you don't have the time to visit...

Hipporex and bongorob like this.
  2. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I did this with "Serengeti". Score was 1 out 10 :( (only the lady that turned out to have lived in Uganda knew what it was). In my opinion just as sad...

You also belong to ZooChat if you read that "someone got killed by a buffalo in a Spanish Zoo" and your immediate first thought is "... what species"?

bongorob likes this.
  3. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

If you get angry when someone say that chimpanzees are monkeys/orcas are whales, or that there are only two species of elephant, or that some animal is ugly and stink...

4. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually if there's someone who knows there'e more than one ambiguous elephant, then that's pretty good:p;)

5. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Only half belonging on Zoochat my first thought is "I hope they didn't kill the buffalo" ;)

Niki Hastings likes this.
  6. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

You look at a cast of an Elephant from the Nyiragongo Volcano in Africa and wonder whether it was male or female. You are quite certain though that it must be a Forest Elephant.

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You realy are thinking about doing REAL bad things with your Head of department because he don't give you a few hours free so you can be among the first persons to visit the first African elephant born in the Netherlands !!! Still p*sted about it !!

8. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this information is getting very popular. Even many biologists confuse it.

9. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You cringe when you hear a 2-3 year old yelling "ooo ooo ah ah!" at the Japanese macaques even though you know that she's young and shouldn't be blamed and that this may be her way of expressing she likes them...

10. wensleydale

The word "ungulate" sends shivers down your spine.

11. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

You get really, really annoyed about a picture of a leopard in your biology texbook that is captioned as a cheetah!

12. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When you are watching a quiz on TV and the question is "name a crocodile named after a river." You shout out Orinoco.

13. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When you always correct people on what animals are, spout needless facts about them and in my case people get very annoyed because you constantly go on about everything from Marine Iguanas to Sumatran Prevost Squirrel!

14. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Or Congo :D

bongorob likes this.
  15. littlewallaby

littlewallaby Active Member

People calling orcas whales never bothered me. They technically are odontoceti whales as are all other dolphins and porpoises.

AnaheimZoo and SealPup like this.
  16. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You cringe extremely hard at the IDA worst zoos for elephants list.

wensleydale and littlewallaby like this.
  17. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

But they are related, and apes are within the phylogenetic bracket. (Simia)

Modt languages don't make the ape-monkey distinction, its nowadays a folk zoology like separating snakes frpm other lizards.

In the past there was doubt about monkey monophyly stemming from biogeography. But now there is not, apes are monkeys same as humans are apes.

Birdsage likes this.
  18. wensleydale

You think that the Zoo is a bad place to bring a human infant. Seriously, don't bring the baby to the Zoo. I understand that I'm opening myself to all sorts of criticism by saying this but my opinion stands.

19. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@wensleydale: Indeed. And here is the first criticism by simply asking: Why? Just because strollers may block your way? Because infants sometimes cry?
    What is the right age in your eyes that allows children (or adults?) to go to a zoo? What should parents do if they would like to spend a day in a zoo? Leave their kids behind in the hands of a babysitter, although this would be the perfect trip for the entire family?

Jesus! This is really weird. Although It can be annoying (specially if you like to photograph) if parents block the perfect angle with their strollers, I would never ever wish to ban infants from zoos.

By the way: Do you think it will have a positive impact to the future of zoos when they would deny parents with babys?

snowleopard likes this.
  20. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Okay, you might as well eliminate 80% of all zoo visitors and watch as every single zoo on the planet collapses into financial ruin. Your comment is beyond ridiculous. What do you think you did as a kid? You went to a zoo or aquarium and a lifelong love of those facilities began at a very young age. Visit any zoological establishment and it is packed with strollers!

Andrew_NZP, pachyderm pro and jayjds2 like this.