Join our zoo community

You will believe a shark can roar: Zoological malpractice in Hollywood.

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by DavidBrown, 6 Sep 2011.

1. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

True, and so are humans, for that matter.

2. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but this may harken to the older Johnny Weismuller films which were *rife* with geographical and zoological innacuracies. Parrots from around the globe, kookaburra noises, an Asian elephant with "African" ears, etc.

3. Alex Roman

Alex Roman Well-Known Member

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  4. evilmonkey239

In the CBS sci-fi series Zoo, a “leopard cub” is played by a serval kitten. This is especially egregious considering how an adult serval was correctly labeled as such by one of the characters a few episodes before.

5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the Disney movie "The Lion king", Simba once said "I just cant wait to be king" This is inaccurate since 1)Lions haven't develop a social system with a monarchy and 2)Lion don't speak English.

6. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not to mention if such a monarchy did exist, it’d be borderline treasonous for Simba to perform a song and dance routine that expressed his desire to take over as king (implying the death of the reigning monarch).

The gender ratio of the pride also bugged the hell out of me. One male lion with lionesses numbering in the double digits?

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This isn't really uncommon though. Occasionally there'll be a brother duo or something of the sort, but that is their normal social structure, 1 male to several females.

evilmonkey239 and IndianRhino like this.
  8. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

That's how lions live it's common logic it's 1 to 2 males to a dozen lionesses

9. Fanfin anglerfish

Fanfin anglerfish Well-Known Member

Not exactly a incorrect animal movie placement but my “African animal puzzle” has African animals expect for an giant anteater.

evilmonkey239 and StoppableSan like this.
  10. Zoofan15

It’s very uncommon to see a male lion single handedly ruling a pride that size. Two lions, sure. But a single male lion like Mufasa wouldn’t last long in the wild when there’s coalitions of two, three, four male lions waiting to overthrow him.

11. Mr.Ivory

Well the pride is only 15 lionesses (Counting the movie, and semi cannon comics) semi cannon comics there are 4 other males that seem to be on good terms with Mufasa

12. Zoofan15

We’re not talking about comic books, we’re talking about the movie.

evilmonkey239 and IndianRhino like this.
  13. Mr.Ivory

During the finial battle there are 4 lionesses (Not counting Sarabi and Nala) so not really that many, plus I counted ten lionesses during Mufasa's funeral

14. Zoofan15

It’s been a while, but from memory the pride was ruled by a single male (Scar) at this point so yes, that makes sense that half the pride had halved from when we first saw them. A single (weak) male would offer little protection to any cubs born in the pride so the I’d surmise he was lucky to have those six lionesses.

15. Mr.Ivory

Here is my opinion of the lionesses that were in the first movie

Queen
    • Sarabi
    Huntress
    • Sarafina
    • Dwala (Sister to Sarabi)
    • Laza
    • Msitu (Sister to Sarafina)
    • Kahawia (Sister to Sarabi, also appears in the semi cannon comic orphaned birds she is the brown lioness)
    • Ingi (Sister to Laza)
    • Kutisha (Sister to Laza and Ingi)
    • Uchovu (Sister to Sarafina and Msitu, appears in the semi cannon comic Simba's new brother she is the brown lioness)
    • Naanda (Sister to Sarabi, and Dwala, appears in the semi cannon comic Simba's new brother she is the lioness that has a Scruffy chin)
    • Sikio (Sister to Laza, appears in the semi cannon comic Simba's new brother she is the lioness that looks to be missing ear rim)
    I named 7 of the 11 lionesses present in Mufasa's pride, and I very much believe Scar sired cubs with the pride this is were the outlanders came from they are all daughters of Scar

Last edited: 6 Nov 2021
  16. Breckenridge

Breckenridge Well-Known Member

In 2019, I took an English class in college focusing on the work of John Green. One of his books we read was titled Looking for Alaska and we also watched a miniseries adaptation of the book on Hulu.

Two major inaccuracies stood out to me while watching the series. First was in an episode where the main boy character gets thrown in a lake for a prank and gets attacked by a swan. The swan is shown to be a Mute swan, but it's honking like a Canada goose. Second was in an episode that starts with a flashback of the main girl character named Alaska going to a zoo (Audubon Zoo in the series) with her mother. They're looking at the gorillas and Alaska asks her mother if the silverback was in charge. Her mother says something along the lines of, "He thinks he's in charge, but the females are the ones who are really holding the family together while the males fight." This got me frazzled enough that I wrote my final paper for the class about the inaccuracy of that scene.

17. evilmonkey239

In The Lion King (2019), during Pumbaa's flashback to his childhood he does not resemble an actual warthog piglet, but is rather based on one of a red river hog. Presumably they decided to do this because red river hog piglets looked "cuter" and they figured the inaccuracy would not register to most audiences.

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  18. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Speaking of The Lion King, there are giant anteaters, and what appear to be American flamingos in the song "I Just Can't Wait To Be King"

19. ParathePineapple

ParathePineapple Well-Known Member

That part of the movie always confused me, why are a meerkat and warthog living in a forest? Also why did they even go into a barren wasteland desert either there would not be a real reason to.

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  20. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Maybe they were bored LOL

ParathePineapple likes this.