Join our zoo community

Young orca rescued in the Netherlands

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by John Dineley, 24 Jun 2010.

Tags:
  1. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

Interesting story:

A young, 3.5 m long female Killer Whale (Orcinus orca) has been captured alive but weakened in the Wadden Sea near the island of Ameland (north border of The Netherlands). This species is rather rare in these waters and the last occurende was more than 60years ago.

The animal has been transferred to the Harderwijk Dolfinarium to regain strength and will if possible be set free. If it survives.

Beached Dutch killer whale recovering | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

Link on the Dutch forum here:

http://www.zoochat.com/158/young-orca-rescued-157674/

2. Deviant*Strain

Deviant*Strain Well-Known Member

She's thought to be from a Scottish resident Pod. She's confirmed as female and named Morgan. She doesn't look good. She's got severe peantuhead... :(

3. John Dineley

If it's just malnutrition and no other underlying pathology then she should be okay as Harderwijk have a lot of experience in this field albeit with smaller cetacean. Releasing her back may be more problematic. However, it's a good job she didn't beach in Scotland as she would have been killed. The UK has no rehab centres for cetaceans :(

!

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  4. Deviant*Strain

Nope we don't. It's a mega shame, we have loads of cetaceans showing up round our shores now. My issue is with their longterm care. Although the reasons for not releasing etc are often correct, I don't think they'd get enough support (EG Peta-likes) and would possibly soon close down. Morgan's at a good place Harderwijk have a lot of experience and she's older than Pascuala down in Mexico. If she'd beached in Scotland she would've been pushed back into the water and then.... she definitely would've died. Fingers crossed for the little girl.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is exactly the PETA-strain that is killing whales and dolphins and disallowing cetacean rehab centres to be run in the UK.

I am sorry this blinkered state of mind persists as the media has been pre-poisoned with allsorts of ill truths by these so-called animal welfarists.

If IUCN guidelines re reintroduction are not fully followed through as happened in the much publicised Free Willy charade, it is the nearest to killing a whale outright (as is ... as you so correctly pointed out the de-beaching of whales and dolphins by just pushing them back into the sea.).

If we will not investigate why whales and dolphins beach themselves, what condition they are in upon beaching and the need to treat sick whales and dolphins for a considerable period of time in in-shore rehab facilities ... that is what I call an animal welfare sham. :(

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even though Harderwijk has never exhibited orcas long-term, the center is well equipped to deal with any cetacean emergencies and treating sick whales and dolphins.

Illustrative of this: In fact the dolphin center has actually been a first at rehabilitating harbour porpoise, which is an endangered species within the North Sea. :D

7. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

This is new to me, as I must admit I'd never really thought about whether debeaching was a bad thing.

Does the centre in holland rerelease it's beached animals after rehabilitation?

8. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

yes, usually animals that are rehabilitated get released again except if the animal needs to be put down or when it's clear that releasing will kill the animal. B.e. the harbour porpoises that stay at Harderwijk were or too young to be released or have physical problems (like one of them has a deformed heart). But the general rule is that the rehab animals will be released.

And as i stated before in other topics. That the UK has no rehab facility for cetaceans is ridiculous. It causes in the end more animal mistreatment then it solves and the Peta-likes should be damn ashamed of themselves

9. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Should the whale not be capable for release in the ocean, I hope it will be be given home in Harderwijk, been there in 2004 and it is an excellent establishment.

10. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Thank you DD this sounds an I teresting place. I will try and find out a not more about it, as you've piqued my interest :)

11. John Dineley

The problem in the UK is that 'cetacean rehab' has been hi-jacked by anti-dolphinaria groups which sadly includes the Sealife Centres. IMHO: They would rather see an animal killed than be held in a aquarium or marine park :(

12. Deviant*Strain

^ well said, Mr Dinely.

Also, Marineland in France is also another possibility. Harderwijk do have a brilliant way of working, however I'm not certain they've gotten anything big enough for a growing Orca anymore. But MLF is close by, with a massive pool and a small pod. There could be difficulty with pod structure, but she's young enough to adapt.

13. John Dineley

Harderwijk have now said the whale may have to stay at the park for at least six months as her body weight is so low; she was on the point of starving to death when found. However, she appears to be doing well and the vets are cautiously opportunistic regarding progress.

Dolfinarium | Morgan blijft nog enkele maanden in Dolfinarium

14. Deviant*Strain

Good to hear an update :) I hope Morgan continues to get better. I can't wait to hear whether they will release her, relocate her or keep her. I'd hope she goes else where with other Orca's.