Join our zoo community

Your 10 psittacines

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 26 Mar 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

What is your choice of the 10 most attractive parrots - psittacines, or 10 psittacines species that you eventualy love to keep as your pets, or better, as part of the managed bird collection in your zoo?

Mines are:

1. Hyacinth macaw
    2. Military macaw
    3. Cuban amazon
    4. Chattering lory
    5. Black-capped lory
    6. Red collared lory (Australia)
    7. Blue-eyed cockatoo
    8. Palm cockatoo
    9. Eclectus parrot
    10. Red (Maroon)-shininig parrot (difficult to obtain)

PS. Ultramarine lorikeet and blue lorikeet are awesome, but there is not any zoo in Europe that holds these species.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2016
    14685 likes this.
  2. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

This can be a little difficult (even because I don't know to much about birds).
    Here is (the order of the number doesn't mean nothing):

1. Golden parakeet
    2. Spix's macaw
    3. Hyacinth macaw
    4. Red-and-green macaw
    5. Blue-and-gold macaw
    6. Military macaw
    7. Red-fan parrot
    8. Major Mitchell's cockatoo
    9. Black palm cockatoo
    10. Dusky lory

Other beautiful parrots are Kakapo (isn't very beautiful, but is cool), Ecletus parrot, Golden-shouldered parrot, Scarlet macaw, Lear's macaw, Glaucous macaw, Sun parakeet, Rainbow lorikeet.

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Are there Spix's macaws in Brazilian zoos, FelipeDBKO, do you know?

4. FelipeDBKO

Not that I know.

5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

1. Collared lory
    2. Hyacinth macaw
    3. Galah cockatoo
    4. Blue throated macaw
    5. St. Vincent Amazon
    6. Palm cockatoo
    7. Sulphur crested cockatoo
    8. Kea
    9. Moluccan cockatoo
    10. Red and blue lory

6. FelipeDBKO

New Zealand parrots are badass xD

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

I can't picture myself ever getting a big parrot as a pet. I am considering a small parrot someday, but my list of potential pets is pretty small. (green-cheeked conure tops the list, but I'm considering getting a budgie first to see if bird ownership suits me) So this list is what I'd do if I had a zoo...

1. Spix's macaw (hey, I can dream)
    2. Kakapo
    3. Eclectus parrot
    4. African gray
    5. St. Vincent Amazon
    6. Rainbow lorikeet
    7. Sun conure
    8. Scarlet macaw
    9. Palm cockatoo
    10. Blue-winged parakeet

8. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

If I ever get a parrot strictly as a pet, it'll be some sort of cockato. For a zoo or such, well, it could be anything.

9. Zygodactyl

Zygodactyl Well-Known Member

True parrots come in such a vast array of forms and colors, making it hard to pick. Therefore, New Zealand parrots and cockatoos are overrepresented on my list relative to the diversity of their clades. This is assuming I run a zoo. For pets... well ... the idea of ten pet parrots at one time sounds like way to much work.

1. Kakapo
    2. Kea
    3. South Island kaka
    4. New Caledonian horned parakeet
    5. Major Mitchell's cockatoo
    6. Galah cockatoo
    7. Gang-gang cockatoo
    8. Plum-headed parakeet
    9. Dusky lorikeet
    10. Spix's Macaw

Of the three extant species of New Zealand parrot, I want them all. I'm torn between the kea and kakapo for my favorite bird. The kea is one of the smartest birds, bold and inquisitive, and its diet is similar to mine. The kakapo is the only flightless parrot and the only parrot with a lek breeding system. (I believe it's also the only parrot with rictal bristles.) While one of the things I love about parrots is their monogamy, the kakapo just has a face you can't stay mad at. Oh, and while both subspecies of kaka are pretty, the South Island kaka is prettier.

With cockatoos, palm cockatoos are really, really neat, but also kind of ugly, and I've got neater birds in the New Zealand parrots. However the Major Mitchell's, galah, and gang-gang, are also quite distinctive looking and adorable. So is the cockatiel of course, but they're ubiquitous as pets in the US. Having those three in side-by-side exhibits would be striking.

Of the true parrots on my list, the New Caledonia horned parakeet's neat crest and appealing colors (especially compared to the closely-related Uvea parakeet) make it an obvious choice. Like many people, I'd love to have a Spix's macaw. Not only are they a great example of a conservation success story, but I also think it's the prettiest macaw. Then I picked the dusky lorikeet because there aren't too many birds with a Halloween color pattern, and the plum-headed parakeet because I like purple.

Though let's be honest; I'm not getting a kakapo or Spix's macaw and I'm probably not getting a kaka. In that case, my alternate species are:

1. Palm cockatoo
    2. Eclectus parrot
    3. Vasa parrot (any species)

The palm cockatoo is kind of ugly to my mind, but it can crack a coconut with its face. (Cockatoos are now even more overrepresented in my collection, but so what?) If I can't have a kakapo, that's still a pretty neat bit of information. The eclectus's unusual mating habits and consequent odd reversal of colorations also make it a natural choice. As for the vasa? I already have representatives of the other two families of true parrots, I love Madagascar, and when its head is extended it looks just like Blu from Rio if he were dipped in black ink.

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

First off all I will I will try to make a realistic collection which is why I didn't include Kakapo and Spix macaw - no why to get them in your collection. Secondly I would try to make it geographicly correct by taking 2 species each from the main distribution-areas but because there are only 4 areas in which parrots are found ( Neotropical, Africa, Asia and Australia I thought out a 5h group which is New Zealand and Worldwide.
    Neotropical :
    - Hyacinthine macaw ( being replaced by Lear's macaws as soon as these would become avaible )
    - Vinaceous amazon
    Africa :
    - Red-headed lovebird
    - Cape parrot
    Asia :
    - Brown lory ( an all-time favorite of me )
    - Presquet's parrot
    Australia :
    - Hooded parrot
    - Major Mitchell's cockatoo
    New Zealand and World-wide :
    - Kea
    - Rose-ringed parakeet

11. Nikola Chavkosk

Very interesting point of view and explanation, thank you a lot.
    Spectacular list of psittacines too.
    Can you consider obtaining maroon-fronted parrot (Mexican endemic parrot), with attractive purple frontal region, plus threatened species - you will just love to conserve them (breed and keep secure :) )
    Dusky lory - quite attractive bird too.
    New Caledonian parrots, why are they difficult to keep and breed in captivity, as for shining parrots?
    And what is your diet :p ? simmilar with that from kea?
    Me either would not love to keep some rarer as pets parrots, as pet, I kept 3 budgerigars for 9 years, and if I get parrot pet again, that would be budgerigars or cockatiels.

12. Nikola Chavkosk

Choice of many zoo-lovers, for zoo animals, is closely related to cultural afinities: you love zoo animals from regions that you consider exotic and love to explore them and conect with them in a some way, like keeping (zoo) animal from that region.

First time I read about vinaceous amazon - very attractive looking bird.
    Thank you vogelcommando,

13. Zygodactyl

Zygodactyl Well-Known Member

If I were actually running a zoo, I wouldn't be just limited to ten parrot species, of course, and conservation would certainly play a role. I know that a lot of US zoos keep the thick-billed parrot, which is a close relative of the maroon-fronted parrot; I don't know about the maroon-front itself. I will say that the maroon-fronted parrot has dark red head rather than a purple one, and not on all of its head. Aside from the females of some species of eclectus, the plum-headed parakeet has the greatest proportion of purple plumage of any parrot species I know of, one reason I like it.

There are some horned parakeets in private hands in the UK which tells me that they're they're certainly possible to keep and breed in captivity (unlike pygmy parrots, for example). But given that very few zoos seem to keep them, despite their striking appearance, I suspect that they're not the easiest of animals to care for.

I eat a lot of meat in my diet; keas are the only parrots for which meat forms a substantial component of the diet.

In terms of keeping rare parrots as pets, I'm strongly in favor of it in principle if they can be bred successfully in captivity. On the other hand, I'm generally not comfortable with the idea of me keeping large parrots as housepets myself. For one thing, I know what those beaks can do; for another thing, the larger parrots are a lot more demanding. I would take an African gray, amazon, eclectus, or large cockatoo if a friend asked me to; but I wouldn't seek any of those birds out as pets. I wouldn't keep a large macaw under any circumstances.

That said, if keas were available as pets in the United States (they're not AFAIK, though they are in the UK and Canada) and if I had the money to purchase and care for one (I currently don't), I would make an exception to my "no large parrots" policy in a heartbeat. Keas are awesome.

The comment I was making though was about the number. I cannot imagine keeping ten parrots at once, at least not as pets, My limit is four, and that was when one of them was a parent-raised lovebird who refused to interact with me.

14. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member

Although not common by any means, they are actually decently well established in private aviculture throughout Europe, respective to the small founder population. Husbandry isn't actually that terribly different from many other medium sized parrots, there is just a small population so there aren't that many to go around. They are also much larger than one would think (around the size of a small macaw such as a severe or yellow collared), not that it makes a major difference one way or another.

15. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member

My 10 species, in no particular order are:
    1. Kakapo
    2. Kea
    3. Eclectus parrot
    4. Leadbeater's cockatoo
    5. Patagonian conure
    6. Pesquet's parrot
    7. Spix's macaw
    8. Hawk-headed parrot
    9. St Vincent parrot
    10. Vasa parrot

If I had more choices, I would probably include the quaker parakeet, rainbow lorikeet and night parrot.

16. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

It keeps changing from day to day for me but right now it is:

1. Monk Parakeet

2. Military Macaw

3. Senegal Parrot

4. Solomon Island Eclectus

5. Scarlet Macaw

6. Puerto Rican Amazon

7. Great Billed Parrot

8. Yellow Naped Amazon

9. Jenday conure

10. Hyacinth Macaw

I like Lovebirds, Cockatiels, and Budgies, also African Greys, and I would include more Poicephalus, Macaws, and Amazons f I had the chance, also more members of the Sun Conure species complex if could but you said ten. Also I would have a few Loris but I understand they can be quite messy given their diet and supposed proclivity for shooting their excrement as far as it can go for entertainment.

17. Nikola Chavkosk

Never heard of this, thank you

18. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Also, apparently they like to sleep on their backs on the bottom of their cages with their legs up in the air; supposedly more than one new Lori owner has been taken unawares by this and had a panic attack. I learned this when I was deciding which species to get as a pet, ultimately I ended up with a cockatiel.

19. Nikola Chavkosk

Wow so interesting :p, never heard of this too, thank you a lot. Lories and lorikeets seems that are my favourites from psittacines.

20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

It's so hard to select a Top 10, but here's mine. Click to enlarge :)

Top10.jpg

Alan