Join our zoo community

YOUR 2019

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by kiang, 9 Dec 2019.

Tags:
  1. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1. Visiting Monterey Bay Aquarium after not having been for several years, and getting to see a number of species I hadn't seen in a long time and ones I hadn't seen before. Notable species included Ocean Sunfish, Pelagic Red Crab, Staghorn Hermit Crab, and getting a birding lifer (Surfbird) off the back deck.

2. Platypus arriving in San Diego and Okapi coming to Sacramento.

3. Missing the Laysan Albatross presentation at MBA despite my best efforts. Also Tentacles being closed so several unusual species were offshow, much to my chagrin...

ZooBinh, Hipporex and kiang like this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That's cheating; the thread is just about zoos. However, if we are going to start doing wild stuff too...

1. Personal highlight: Seeing a wild pangolin in Singapore.

2. Favourite piece of news: where to find a wild pangolin in Singapore.

3. Biggest disappointment: Lintworm seeing a wild pangolin before I did.

3. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1.Personal highlights: I have visit so many zoo this year, but I will say Philippine Eagle and Spix's macaw are the largest highlight.
    2.Favourite piece of news: Aye aye to Taipei is the most relatable, but I must say I do like platypus in San Diego.
    3.Biggest disappointment. I'm actually quite happy this year. 10 zoos in a year? That's not bad at all. I will say the biggest disappointment is not being able to visit S.E.A in Singapore.

kiang likes this.
  4. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You were not in off-show were you? :p

I mean, the youngest animals should still live for a few years so there is still time to make the gap between visits longer :D

5. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

1. My first visit to Pairi Daiza which impressed me that much that I was actually able to visited it 3 times this year for 2-3 days each - despite living 500km away

2. The Panda twins born at Pairi Daiza and at Berlin Zoo and doing the caravan Safari at San Diego Zoo Safari Park

3. After 25 years I've been able to come back to San Diego Zoo and Safari Park - but missed the Platypus by just 5 months

kiang likes this.
  6. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, 2019 was nothing like 2018, but let's see :

1. Bulwer's pheasant at Pairi Daiza, Black and rufous sengi in Philadelphia, Müller's gibbon in Lyon and the Soras were a nice surprise in Philadelphia.

2. Definitely Beauval getting Douc langurs

3. Not visiting Bronx zoo because of the extreme weather conditions

kiang likes this.
  7. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The trick is waiting for them at the lek. Or anytime the ground is covered in snow.

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1 ) Spending a whole day with @snowleopard on his West-European Zoo-tour, visiting 6 collections with him.
    2 ) Platypus at San Diego is of course great but being still a bird-person I think from conservation-sight the arrival of the Philippine eagles at Jurong is even greater news
    3 ) Going to Pairi Daiza on a very rainy day which made it possible only to see half the park :(.

9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Funnily enough this is also my first ever year I have failed to see an opossum.

10. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Clearly they are going extinct. Such a shame.

11. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just wait, on January 1st you'll both see one! :p

Coelacanth18 and birdsandbats like this.
  12. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

1. Zoo Vist Highlights.

In the UK, my zoo visiting highlights were definitely the exciting, rarely seen species at Hamerton. The golden jackal at All Things Wild were a pleasant surprise too.

Overseas, my highlights were my first visit to Lisbon (Lisbon Zoo, Lisbon Oceanarium and the Vasco da Gama Aquarium) and this year's ZooHistorica in Nuremberg.

Seeing the black-faced impala and the marine sunfish in Lisbon were especially notable.

ZooHistorica is always a highlight of my zoo-visiting year and September's event in Nuremberg was no exception. (Nuremberg is one of my favourite German zoos but, although I've visited many times, I'd never stayed in the city previously; I'd just gone on day trips to the zoo when staying elsewhere in Germany so had never seen anything of Nuremberg other than the zoo. This year, for the first time, I stayed in Nuremberg so had the opportunity to explore the city too.)

2. Favourite Zoo News

Probably the most noteworthy zoo news items for me were:

(i) San Diego acquiring platypus

(ii) Jurong acquiring monkey-eating eagle (a species I've not seen for many years)

Unlikely, I know, but I cannot help wondering whether some European zoos will acquire these species too.

3. Biggest Disappointment

Probably my most frustrating zoo visiting experience of the year was failing to see the Iberian lynx in Lisbon, despite numerous repeat visits to their enclosure.

There is no doubt, though, that my two biggest disappointments of the last year were:

(i) the closure of London Zoo's Aquarium

(ii) the sad death of London Zoo's male gorilla "Kumbuka"

13. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1. Being able to visit San Diego Zoo and fulfill one of my many lifelong dreams.

2. Platypuses arriving at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park

3. Missing said platypuses. Should've gone in 2020....

Hipporex, kiang and birdsandbats like this.
  14. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

1. Visiting the Toronto Zoo and African Lion Safari after seven and fourteen years, respectively.

Despite being a rainy day, the Toronto Zoo was great, and just as I remembered and better! Due to the weather, not many visitors were there that day which enabled me to take some great photos. I was pleasantly surprised by the renovations made to the Eurasia complex, especially the snow leopard habitat. It was only after my visit, while comparing a current and former zoo map, that I realized how reduced the Eurasia complex has become. The large hoofstock exhibits, like the przewalski's horse, are now only visible across the lake which I found unfortunate.

I had the opportunity to visit African Lion Safari twice and both visits were phenomenal! The safari was really cool with the diversity of species and ability to be face-to-face with the animals. However, the elephants were without a doubt the best part the visit! The elephant swim was amazing and brought back nostalgia from my last visit. The best part of the swim was when Onyx, one of the elephant calves, came onto the shore which enabled me to be only a couple of feet away from him. I probably spent at least ten hours combined watching and taking pictures of the elephants. I was absolutely captivated by them. Being in the presence of these amazing creatures has strengthened my love for elephants even more.

2. The announcement that Rani the Asian elephant at the Saint Louis Zoo is pregnant and expecting in the summer of 2020.

3. The passing of Kalina and Nyah, two African elephant calves at the Indianapolis Zoo, to EEHV in March.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2019
    Jambo and kiang like this.
  15. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1. Highlight: Seeing a maned wolf catch a chipmunk! Also finally got to see a fisher, american marten, and ringtail, 3 who were high up on my list.
    2. Favorite zoo news: Platypus.
    3. Disappointment: Not getting to do any trips this year, especially the Ohio trip I had planned. My dog's health comes first, but I'm still really sad I had to cancel it at the last minute.

16. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was actually :p I've visited LA twice when they kept them, London once when they were on-exhibit, Prague when they still had them, and Plzen's off-show but to this day the one and only time I've ever seen a Panay Bushy-Tailed Cloud Rat is when I revisited London after they went off-show and a keeper was kind enough to pull them out for me.

~Thylo

17. ThylacineAlive

Yeah I know, but I couldn't time my visit accordingly unfortunately. I was trying to head for a spot where they're supposed to be found year-round but then the whole car in mud thing happened so.

~Thylo

18. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1. My trip to Germany (shameless plug right here :D ) was great obviously, but I rate much higher meeting a lot of Zoochaters in Czech zoos during the year. It was great meeting you all! :)

2. I mean all the platypuses (platypi? guess it doesn't matter really) and other nice arrivals are great, but for me personally it is the fact that there might be zookeeper's job for me sooner rather than later after I graduate :D

3. Missing out on pangolins in Leipzig

And you didn't use this perfect opportunity to ask someone to get them out of the nest for you or that wasn't possible at that time? :D

19. ThylacineAlive

Wasn't an option unfortunately. It's alright, though, I managed to see the Southern Luzon Giant Cloud Rats, which were the real lifer :p ;)

~Thylo

TinoPup and HOMIN96 like this.
  20. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That reminds me...
    1. Also, finally getting to meet some Zoochatters (I met 2 already established Zoochatters and convinced 2 of my Sac Zoo pals to join).
    Congratulations! I hope things work out.

Jambo, ThylacineAlive and Great Argus like this.