Join our zoo community

Your book collection/library

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by overread, 14 May 2016.

1. overread

overread Well-Known Member

So I figure there's a lot of threads here on individual books and series; but nothing that really collects together what we all have and what we might recommend to others to read.

Considering how we've some here who have a very extensive understanding of natural studies and that many publications which are not journalistic/picture book in style are often poorly advertised [outside of niche markets] I figured opening up to discussion and showing of what we had might well help us all find a few new books to read and some new insights into key topics.

A few of my own - I must admit no extensive understanding and thus whilst I might consider many of these informative I've no deeper subject understanding to really measure their content in real-world value and accuracy terms.

• Wildlife Ecology, Conservation and Management by John M Fryxell et al; detailed and indepth and whilst I've not read a vast amount it covers topics well; if with a US angle on things (which makes sense as its written by US scientists)
    • The Natural History of Deer by Rory Putman
    • Deer Watch by Richard Prior
    • Habitat Management for Inverebrates by Peter Kirby
    • Key Topics in Conservation Biology ed by David McDonald and Katrina Service
    • Seeing Butterflies by Philip Howse
    • The History of the Countryside by Oliver Rackman
    • Mammals of the British Isles Handbook 4th edition - great catch-all review of scientific studies and basic understanding of British mammals
    • A New Dictionary of Birds by Landsborough Thomson - from the 60s and whilst some details might be updated now its a great collection of terminology relating to avians. A good place to start in my view, though I admit that there are likely more modern superior publications (or at least I would expect there to be so)
    • Wildlife After Gravel Twenty years of Practical Research by the Game Conservancy and ARC
    • Birds in Brazil by Helmut Sick translated by William Belton - heavy and chunky and full of detail; I'd say as good as the Helm guides that are publish on many avian groups - although lacking colour plates and focusing more on descriptive and ecology detail.
    • Animal Dispersal in relation to social behaviour by V.C Wynne-Edwards
    • Weather and Bird Behaviour 2nd edition by Norman Elkins
    • The Birds of Norfolk by Moss Taylor et al

Helm ID Giudes
    • Raptors a Field Guide for Surveys and Monitoring 3rd edition
    • The Birds of Suffolk by Steve Piotrowski
    • Shrikes and Bush-Shrikes by Tony Harris and Kim Franklin

ID guides:
    • How to Find and Identify Mammals by Gillie Muir and Pat Morris
    • Colins Bird Guide of Britain and Europe
    • Book of British Birds by Readers Digest
    • Colour Identification Guide to British Butterflies by TG Howarth - an older publication from the 70s but containing a detailed series of colour plates which includes eggs, caterpillars and cocoons
    • Britain's Dragonflies 3rd edition by Dave Smallshire and Andy Swash - not really given this one much use yet, but its one ID guide that makes me wish they'd done colour plates instead of photographs or at least done them side by side as some of the photos are very "busy" in content which can make picking out key features more tricky. There is a good drawn ID chart at the start; just not alongside the species entry pages.
    • The Crossley ID Guide Raptors - by Richard Crossley et al - Not given this as much use as some others, but whilst some pages might appear to be a little overly busy in content I appreciate the angle he's taken in providing more htan just the "side on" drawn plate and "above/below" in flight pictures that most ID guides go for; instead he presents a series of angles and distances which can give a better "real world" sight of what you might see for some birds rather than just the perfect. Certainly a good complimentary ID guide to others.
    • Raptors of the World by James Ferguson-Lees and David A Christie - 10 pages sort of 1000 pages of detailed ID plates and habitat/behaviour/ecological details regarding the worlds raptors. A fantastic book and one that got me into Helm ID guides (at least when one can afford them as they are rarely cheap)

Other:
    • Thornburns Mammals - I actually have two copies of this now. One smaller with an introduction by David Attenborough and a much larger "complete Illustrated" edition which has a few more plates than the other. Wonderful artwork that, whilst maybe not as technically detailed as some others, has a charm and quality and personality to it that is often missing in many others works.
    • British Birds in 4 volumes by Thornburn - an old 1926 collection with a very worn and damaged dustcover; but all else is in great condition - yet more of his great artwork!

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member