Join our zoo community

Your camera kit setup

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Julio C Castro, 26 Jan 2021.

1. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

That main combo you use gives you the perfect reach in zoos or aviaries especially when trying to not get close. Super telephoto lens, macro lens, and wide angle lens are the last trinity I want to complete my whole kit as it is. The teleconverter is something I feel like I want but may not need if I plan to get a super telephoto lens so it puts me in the weird dilema as to getting one or not :( But Canon is doing marvelously well and that’s a combo I would’ve used if investing into the Canon ecosystem!

2. Julio C Castro

Holy cow you came out swinging with that whole setup! :eek: The D850 is one I’ve seen many Nikon professionals use and it is one of the better bodies Nikon has taken out in the past few years, I wonder if they will release the rumored D860 or perhaps a make the mirrorless version to that body. I think I saw at as one Nikons best sellers of the DSLR bodies. I do have a question now that you have transitioned over to Nikon: have any of the Z system mirrorless camera catch your interest so far that you are wanting to switch or supplement your kit with one? The thing that kills me about mirrorless and I think it’s just the common sense thing about it is the battery life. They deplete much quicker if doing an all day shoot. I’m currently waiting for another battery for my Z50 since they sold out and only have 2 batteries in my whole kit.

3. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I won't answer on his behalf although I believe he's not a fan yet of the mirrorless system.
    If I may, although I know you are using a Nikon Z, I think this year is going to be crucial for Nikon.
    Out of the 3 major brands (Canon, Nikon and Sony), Nikon is the one slowly drowning. On a financial standpoint, they're really low at the moment and then their mirrorless system is the less well developped out of the 3 brands. I really like the aesthetics Nikon bodies and lenses have, but if they do not come up soon with insane bodies that would help them close the gap, I think they're going to loose some more clients to Canon and Sony.

4. Julio C Castro

The Sony A1 appears to be the overkill body that many haven’t asked for but would use very much eagerly if given the chance, the specs for it are INSANE. But to me it feels that it has features that many may not use unless in the extremely professional work of line such as sporting events or high end modeling. You reminded me of the R6, I forgot it existed :rolleyes: But since you love the Canon system and they have been doing so well, it is a must have indeed and wish you luck to getting it!

5. Julio C Castro

I agree, they do need to settle their whole restructuring and they did decide the move for the manufacturing to be relocated to Thailand. They have yet to release their professional lines of FX mirrorless bodies according to them despite most of their top photographers/ambassadors using the Z7/Z7ll, Z6/Z6ll for their work as well as D850 and D5. They did begin of with a slow start but do have high hopes for the company. To me, Nikon certainly feels like Rocky near the end of the 12th round before taking out Ivan Drago. Not to say they will be on top immediately or ever but not fall off to the wayside, I guess I’m being too optimistic :oops:

Rayane likes this.
  6. Rayane

Insane specs, but if the AF system didn't get as good as Canon's one then it's a shame, because indeed, everything else is out of this world.

Well, for me, it will depend how fast they recover, if I have enough money to get my hands on an R5 or else, I will be switching instantly, although the D850 seems lovely. But honnestly, everything looks so easy with this AF system that finds the eye of flying birds...

Julio C Castro likes this.
  7. Julio C Castro

That’s one thing I really am looking forward once Nikon integrate into their evolving system: bird eye detection. I’ve been ever so lucky to get the eyes right in focus but the assist would be much appreciated :D But with whatever choice of the major 3 companies, they aren’t by any means bad cameras at all and anyone should consider in my opinion!

8. Rayane

Of course, they're all superb cameras, but the energy I put at the moment on getting the focusing right, I'd rather put on composition for example. You don't have a macro lens yet right ? Or you do?

Edit : Not sure your 85mm is a macro lens although it seems like it. Do you have any experience shooting smaller mammals with it?

9. Julio C Castro

I don’t yet but am waiting for the NIKKOR Z 105mm that is rumored to be released this year, a macro is in my last trinity of lenses I want. The remaining two kinds would be a super telephoto and wide angle to round out my whole kit. I want to go into the LAIR at the LA Zoo when they open it all up and use a macro lens in there for sure!
    And as for the 85mm I have, it can act like a macro lens but I feel the aperture and minimum focusing distance hamper it from being able to do solely macro shots. But when I go to the reptile houses, I snap it on and try to use it as my macro for the meantime.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2021
    Rayane likes this.
  10. Stefan Verhoeven

Stefan Verhoeven Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me, my usual kit for going to the zoo is:
    - Body: Fuji X-T2, a mirrorless crop body
    - Lenses: Fujinon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR and Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 Macro X-Mount

Most of my photo's on ZooChat are made with this kit.

11. Julio C Castro

The first Fuji system mentioned on here, nice! Have you you seen the new Fujifilm GFX 100? It’s one of the many beast cameras to be hitting the market, 102mp feels earth shattering :eek:

12. Rayane

Its price is also earth shattering

13. Julio C Castro

One may say that it would be same kind of power a black hole and applies well to these massive overkill camera: sucking vortexes that will drain your wallet and credit :rolleyes: whomever can afford these bodies and use them to their fullest extension, more power to them and want to see the end results for sure.

Rayane likes this.
  14. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Julio C Castro No, I have no interest in mirrorless at the moment. It will be several years at least and it would have to have some really big advantages for me to switch.

Also the Fuji GFX series is medium format (extra large sensor), so you really can't compare it to any of the 35mm based systems we are talking about. Medium format is also for landscape (and architecture and maybe portraits) and would be of little value for zoo or wildlife photography.

RetiredToTheZoo likes this.
  15. Julio C Castro

I get what you mean, so far there isn’t an overall advantage in mirrorless compared to DSLR. It could be years for when they catch up such as buffering, longer lasting battery life, and overall image quality. Nikon still has legacy glass that still holds up and I’ve said it before but it feels like Nikon produces some of the best color in their images.

16. Stefan Verhoeven

Indeed it's a beast, but not a camera for animals/wildlife. And also there are very few people that need 102mp. It sometimes feels a bit like a peeing contest.... But if somebody would like to spend the money and is going to photograph more static objects (landscape, buildings, product/food photography) it could be a fun thing to have :D

Would love to have the Fujinon XF 200mm f/2.0. I have used it in the past and it is great, but out of my league unfortunately.

17. Stefan Verhoeven

Not totally agree with you on this. I think for the top range camera bodies the DSLR is still the way to go. And thru-out the years there is a bigger line-up of lenses available for the DSLR. So more high quality lenses available and also a good amount of quality second hand glass available.
    But the quality just below the flagship DSLR's is compareble to a good mirrorless. And the good mirrorless is in general cheaper and lighter. Other things like battery life, not a full range of lenses, not a big second hand market or cheaper brand lens (Sigma or Tamron) available that is compatible. Some of those things will het solved in the future. But for now I can relate to both the people that stick to the very nice DSLR's available but also to those who made the shift to mirrorless. For mirrorless wildlife I think Sony is the brand to go for at the moment. The combination of bodies and range of lenses is unbeatable in the mirrorless market for now.

One great advantage of mirrorless in wildlifephotography is the lack of sound when photographing. One anecdote I can tell you all: me and three other photographers were sitting in a hide for 8 hours when a leopard was walking skittishly towards the water hole in front of the hide. After some time it finally went down to drink. Only then the Canon DSLR's started to fire. One of the Canon photographers said, great you all waited with shooting till the leopard settled down. Myself and the one Sony photographer looked at him and said no, we already took 50 shots before that :p

18. Julio C Castro

And that’s what I learned earlier on this thread when the Fuji GFX100 was brought up again, it makes sense as to why it would be ideal for landscape photography and it will fill the void for those who solely do that type of photography. I can’t wait to see the actual field tests and take a peak at the RAW files if I can :D

19. Julio C Castro

That is one reason I went for the Z50 at the time when wanting to dip my toes into mirrorless: silent photography. I can confirm for the Z system that it is so quiet that I thought I hadn’t caught the photos when I did try it out. My first field test of the silent photography mode was in an aviary and there was a superb starling within a couple meters from me, posed perfectly. I fired off and then stopped to shoot a turaco that landed in a tree to my left side. I fired off again before it flew away. I panicked thinking I didn’t get anything since I was so used to the shutter sound. There was egg on my face when I saw I caught an average of 30-35 photos of each bird :oops::rolleyes:

20. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The silent shutter is an interesting discussion. I wonder (this is an honest question) how many times in wildlife photography it would be helpful? I am sure some times (perhaps like the hide mentioned above), but my hunch is often it won't make a difference because animals have keen senses and they know we are there so why do they care if we make a clicking sound? I honestly don't know - maybe it will make a difference. In either case it certainly won't hurt to have a silent shutter (except I like hearing it to know I took a photo). In other (non-wildlife) situations, however, it can be crucial and some venues are now requiring photographers to use silent shutter cameras. If you are interested in this discussion, here is a thread on Nikon Rumors: Silence will be the end of the DSLR - Nikon Rumors Forum

RetiredToTheZoo likes this.