Join our zoo community

Your Czech mate's (sometimes) short thoughts about Czech zoos

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by HOMIN96, 29 Jul 2020.

1. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

22. 9. - Zoo Na Hrádečku

Had another lovely morning here but not much to report on. Otter exhibit is now open and looks very good, Fishing cats have kitten and works are continuing on kea aviary, capybara exhibit and system of ponds with turtle's exhibits.

22. 9. - Zoo Tábor
    My first visit

Finally I set my foot into this on Zoochat basically non-represented zoo so it requires a bit of longer write up, not really something in the lines with this thread, you can read it here.

snowleopard, Brum and TeaLovingDave like this.
  2. HOMIN96

8. 10. - Zoo Plzeň

With coronavirus wreaking havoc in Czechia and me being busy with moving and starting a new job in the next couple of weeks. This was kind of "now or never (or not for a couple of months)" decision especially because of the latest addition. No, I am not talking about the goldfish house (but I get to it) but the main motivation was the arrival of White-striped dorcopsis. Male arrived from Prague recently and he is housed in a former dingo exhibit. While happy the species is finally on-show somewhere in Czechia again, I can't be too happy with the quality of the exhibit and overall husbandry level, which is Plzen's often repeated issue.

Now to the Goldfish house. I am glad that this part of the zoo is now more lively, attractive and allows visitors better access to the Asian Garden part, but the choice of goldfish as a main species baffles me...I mean picking some herps and fish I am all for it and why not, incorporate Asian goldfish keeping tradition into it as a fun little detail but as the main stuff? Exhibited in vases? Why? A detailed description will be in the Plzen news thread.

As I said goodbye to my friends quite early and I already saw enough in the zoo itself and maybe even with some suspicion that zoos will be closed as a precaution sooner or later, I decided to extend my trip and headed to:

8. 10. - Zoo Plasy
    My first visit.

This zoo, so far not represented here, will get its own full report in a separate thread.

Brum likes this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I don't know about that - given the size of the old Dingo exhibit, I reckon that's a fair size for a species as small as Dorcopsis!

4. HOMIN96

Yeah the outdoors are good, but indoor space is the bigger issue for me as he currently has like a half of the wooden hut available (cca 1x2 meters?) as the second part + the separation enclosure is currently occupied by dusky pademelons...I am not sure if it will require heating through winter, but if yes, I do wonder if that hut is even heated somehow.