Join our zoo community

Your fantasy breeding pair for your zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by adrian1963, 8 Feb 2011.

1. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

If you could have a new breeding pair of any species you wanted in your favourite zoo what would it be and how would you display them.
    This is open to any kind of species from the smallest aquamarine to the largest mammals.

Mind would be a pair of Red Wolves as I find these animals veri intregeing and fasinating to watch I would put thier enclosure on a ground level base with a large hilly slope at the rear with plenty of trees undergrowth and rocks. I would have a display window in the indoor enclosure and a high up viewing platform thier would be no visable viewing area to the rear of the enclosure as this would allow the wolves alot of privacy.

Now you know mine lets hear from you on your favourite breeding species

2. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Mine would be pandas, not because I am a panda nut, but because it would provide the money my local zoo needs.

Personally though, clouded leopards.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  3. foz

foz Well-Known Member

A pair of bald uakari. In a super large tropical hall with all conditions perfectly controlled and natural(esque) vegetation. not thast my fav zoo could afford this or have the space.

4. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

A Pair of either Black Giant Squirrels (Ratufa bicolor), Pale Giant Squirrel (Ratufa affinis) or the Indian Giant Squirrel (Ratufa indica). The Indians are probably my favourite. According to Zootierliste, none of these are currently kept in European Zoos, although I have seen Black Giant Squirrels for sale in Private Hands.

These would be housed in a large Indoor hall, which would be densly planted to resemble their natural habitats. I would also include signage on the Squirrels of the World! :D

If possible, I would also make the enclosure a walk through exhibit. Not incredibly exciting to the average visitor, but seeing these species would be incredibly exciting for me! :D :D :D

5. KCZooFan

@Paix: According to ISIS there is only one Pale Giant Squirrel, and that is at Omaha. Here is a picture of the beautiful animal.

Attached Files:

6. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Thanks for that KC! I will look into this further! :)

7. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

I would like a young pair of African elephants to join the herd in Dallas so I can see some calves soon (WELL two years...)

8. chrisbarela

chrisbarela Well-Known Member

I'd like two guinea pigs - the crazy hair kind. Immersive exhibit showcasing their natural habitat. Lot's of pine shavings and cardboard tubes with a salt lick. Beige ceramic bowls full of alfalfa pellets round out the exhibit. An interactive exhibit allows guest to open a refrigerator door which causes the guinea pigs to squeal. The goal would be to breed enough to eventually release back into their native land -Petsmart.

9. Whats an Ounce

Whats an Ounce Active Member

On the condition that the breeding pair are coming in from the wild. No question, I'd go for a pair of South China Tigers.
    Screw being in my favourite zoo, just any good zoo that knows what they're doing. Let's face it, China, at the risk of offending half of my family, have no clue what they're doing when it comes to conservation and are pretty much on track for wiping out all their endemic species. And given that all fourty or so of the South China Tiger stock are descended from only six specimens, a new injection of genes would be a godsend.

The pair would be the centrepiece of an exhibit highlighting the wildlife of the Guangdong province including the Chinese clouded leopard and Kopsch's Deer. The tigers would have two on-view and one off-view enclosures with a combination of viewing platforms seperated by moats and camouflaged glass panels for closer viewing ops. The tigers would be rotated between enclosures and brought together when it's the females' time of the month, well year. And when animal cruelty folks aren't looking, live rabbits will be released to keep up their hunting skills.

10. Fossa dude

Fossa dude Well-Known Member

1) Blue Whale
    2) Chacma Baboon
    3) New Zealand Black Robin
    4) Borneo Bay Cat
    5) A pure group of Borneo Pygmy Elephant

11. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

^^ love the borneo pygmy elephant idea :D

12. Fossa dude

Fossa dude Well-Known Member

Sweet thanks. I like having ppl encrouge or bring a little niceness in a dark cave. Ya cuz I herd of the oregan zoo thing. Where there breeding a male mainland and female pygmy. I thought is was bad cuz of mixed genes but I guess all Asians are Asians. I find it odd though that there isn't any dif genes between these two. Like how Pygmys tails r longer and umm there pygmy. So I whant to see how the oregan calf turns out and then I'll deside if a pure gene would work. Cuz y r they even classified as a Pygmy if the Pygmy doesn't matter and is going to be breed with a larger elephant. Do u know Dally.

13. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Either one of the river dolphins, but i guess i'd prefer amazon river dolphins in an exhibit that looks a bit like Duisburgs Rio Negro, but about three times as big :)

14. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Elephas/Palaeoloxodon falconeri or Stupendemys geographicus.

15. jwer

Who am I to question what people like, but an extinct riverturtle...?

16. KCZooFan

Or an extinct elephant? I guess No one ever specified the animal had to be living. Nice one Sun Wukong :D

17. jwer

I like the elephant though, it's kinda cute and weird, but a river turtle? I'd rather have a Moa, they look delicious :)

18. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pretty much anything from my two favourite areas for wildlife - Indonesia and the Galapagos Islands.

If I could bring anything in though out of all of those, it would be Javan rhinos, proboscis monkeys, marine iguanas and Galapagos penguins.

19. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you @KCZooFan. ;) I thought about mentioning Steller's Seacow, dodo, thylacine, moas, warrah etc. first, but I think both tiny elephant and giant turtle would form a nice contrast.

@jwer: A more than 3 metre SCL long (and thus biggest chelonian known!) extinct riverturtle, to be precise. So way more convenient to house and keep than a blue whale, but still what an impressive beast. And imagine the amount of turtle soup!
    The Lord Geekington: Stupendemys: Giant Amongst Mega-Turtles
    Cylindraspis vosmaeri or Colossochelys atlas would be fine, too.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  20. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Anything alive or dead as this is a fantasy idea I like alot of the answers and please let me know what the enclosure will look like