Join our zoo community

Your Favorite/Least Favorite Movies in 2018 and What 2019 Movies Are Yo Excited For?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Hipporex, 25 Dec 2018.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I know, same here. I put a review on the review thread.

Brum likes this.
  2. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Going by UK release dates...

Favourite Films
    1) Avengers: Infinity War
    2) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    3) Isle of Dogs
    4) A Star is Born
    5) I, Tonya
    6) They Shall Not Grow Old
    7) The Incredibles 2
    8) You Were Never Really Here
    9) A Ciambra
    10) A Quiet Place

Worst Films
    1-9) Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    10) Aquaman

Nothing else came close to their class of awful. Other disappointments were Fantastic Beasts, First Man, and the baffling BlacKkKlansman (why have different agents on the phone and in real life?!).

2019 is all about the Avengers, but I'm also looking forward to the Irishman, Star Wars, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Little Women, Hobbs & Shaw, the Lego Movie 2, How to Train Your Dragon 3, and Toy Story 4. The Lion King is perfect - leave it alone.

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am not looking forward to StarWars... Will be interesting to see what all this "course correction" they've been talking about is, though.

~Thylo

4. ThylacineAlive

You should watch "The Predator: An Unbridled Rage" on YouTube if you want a good rundown of how horrible this movie is :p I won't link the video because his unbridled rage videos are a bit NSFW but I think they'd be right up your alley ;) His video on Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is actually what inspired me to make my rant of the movie. Beware, though, his videos are often very long and best listened to how one would listen to a podcast, not a CinemaSins video.

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm looking forward to Star Wars, but I think I might be the only one.

"Like" this post if you are looking forward to Star Wars.

SpinyLiving, kiang, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You know me too well...;)

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  7. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've been longing to see that one with my bois for a while now...

8. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I haven't commented on my entertainment tastes here before, but I know my taste fairly well and consciously separate movies I like from movies that may fit an objective measurement. I respect that conventional protagonist-driven narrative is structurally superior despite my preference for ensemble films, however, which tend to be slightly shakier on story ground.

My viewing was pretty liberal until August, and then I was forced by irl circumstance to taper off my film viewing for the year.

Favorites

- The Avengers: Infinity War
    - Black Panther
    - Ant Man and the Wasp
    - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Three of these films catered more to my personal love of strong character-based ensembles, but I would have to argue for Black Panther as the best film by traditional measures of cinema, which favor narratives driven by a single protagonist; all that said, each of them had minor story problems I could gripe with. I can completely understand why some people loathe Fallen Kingdom, the most controversial entry, but it landed just on the side of forgivable to me.

The Oddity
    - The Death of Stalin

I don't know what to say about this film, except that I very much liked it, but it also feels like MUCH longer since I've seen it than anything else listed here. Thus 'the oddity' - it's not my usual kind of film nor has a sure place in ranking.

Middle of the Pack
    - Solo: A Star Wars Story
    - Halloween (2018)
    - Ready Player One

This was the difficult spot. All of these films were fairly solid within the framework of what had been set up, but none of them satisfied me in a specific, personal way. I really love the film Solo was trying to be, but something feels like it was lost that I can't put my finger on, which is not a common problem for me. Halloween was a mostly excellent film that happened to fall on a few pet peeves in the final Act. I don't think any of these films were actively bad though, just resoundingly okay.

Least Favorites
    - Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
    - Deadpool 2

Both of these films felt like despite having large casts of interesting characters, they only chose to concern themselves with a few of them in earnest; the latter example felt a little too structurally restrained in my opinion. I would consider them subpar blockbusters but neither was poor.

9. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

Here's my ranking list for the year. I still need to watch Roma and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, both have been highly recommended to me.

The Great
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse: 9/10

The Good

A Star is Born: 8.5/10
    Annihilation: 8/10
    Isle of Dogs: 8/10
    Avengers: Infinity War: 8/10

The Alright

Incredibles 2: 7.5/10
    Deadpool 2: 7.5/10
    Black Panther: 7/10
    Eighth Grade: 7/10

The Average

Aquaman: 6/10
    Ant-Man and the Wasp: 6/10
    First Man: 6/10

The Mediocre

Alpha: 4.5/10
    Cloverfield Paradox: 4/10

The Dogpoop (to paraphrase from Jeremy Jahns)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: 3/10

And as a bonus
    Most Anticipated for 2019: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Avengers: Endgame, Dark Phoenix, IT: Chapter 2
    Least Anticipated for 2019: Sonic the Hedgehog

Jambo and ThylacineAlive like this.
  10. Chlidonias

I've watched two more. I watched Johnny English Strikes Again the other day, and just now I watched Deadpool 2 which was AWESOME!!!!

I have had to reorganise my list. It took a while to conclude which was the best movie because Johnny English had Olga Kurylenko in it, but Deadpool had Domino, and then there was the blue cyborg lady in Infinity War. Just makes things really difficult.

But, trying to disregard the above conundrum and just go on which movies were best, here is the ranking:

1) Deadpool 2
    2) Mission Impossible: Fallout
    3) Johnny English Strikes Again
    4) Death Wish
    5) The Predator
    6) Infinity War

Jambo likes this.
  11. Brum

The Predator above Infinity War? Come on Chli, I thought you'd reappraised Infinity War whilst thoroughly planning Predator? Or are you just being a hipster? :p

And Deadpool 2 is awesome, no argument there! ;)

12. ThylacineAlive

And Deathwish above Infinity War, too! Absurd!

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  13. Brum

Should have been panning, bloody auto-correct! ;)

14. Chlidonias

Well I like to readjust my life choices based on additional evidence.

I thought Infinity War was good second-time-round, but then I watched Deadpool 2. You have to admit that Josh Brolin is one good-lookin' man and in Infinity War they turned him into a purple cartoon. I had no choice but to downgrade Infinity War to below The Predator. It's like if you quite like boiled goose but then you have roast pork and realise you have to throw your entire freezer-full of goose in the bin because it's worse than tinned corned beef which has expired. Just like that. Basically, Infinity War is an expired tin of corned beef.

Death Wish had Bruce Willis. What did Infinity War have? Chris Hemsworth? ... oh, wait. Hang on. ... Readjusting...

1) Deadpool 2
    2) Mission Impossible: Fallout
    3) Infinity War
    4) Johnny English Strikes Again
    5) Death Wish
    6) The Predator

(I like Mission Impossible better than Infinity War because I like "realistic" action - even if it is over the top - better than CGI-alien action. Deadpool is better than all of them, even with Ryan Reynolds.)

ThylacineAlive, jayjds2 and Brum like this.
  15. Brum

Love the analogy, don't agree with it but love it. But can a tin of corned beef gooff that quickly? I know it has a Best Before date but I always assumed that, come the apocalypse, that's what we'd be stuck with. We don't get Twinkies in the UK..... p

Deadpool 2 made him half metal, not much of an improvement. Well, unless you're in to that sort of thing... Oh yeah, I forgot about your blue-cyborg infatuation with Karen Gillan! ;)

That's looking better, I still haven't watched MI:Fallout yet so won't pass judgement.

16. Chlidonias

I actually messed up my post. That's what happens when you think about movies and food at the same time. In the analogy it is The Predator which is the expired corned beef, while Infinity War is the boiled goose (and Deadpool 2 is the roast pork). What I should have written would have been something like "watching Infinity War was worse than eating a tin of expired corned beef".

I could go back and edit it, but then I'd need to edit your post as well, and I think you'd notice that it had changed to "absolutely, I agree with everything you say".

(Bonus credit if you get the boiled goose reference).

You know what they say, "once you go blue cyborg lady you never go back". Or something like that. I'm not very good at remembering what people say.

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  17. Chlidonias

I like Tom Cruise a lot, and there's good action in this movie. But it makes no sense at all. The plot is a total mess. Still better than Infinity War though :p

18. ThylacineAlive

Well I saw Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse today and WOW that was a fantastic movie. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I did Infinity War, but I think it's probably the superior film if that makes sense to anyone. My main criticisms are that this movie does that thing where someone gives the main hero an incredibly motivational speech and then they suddenly gain (almost) perfect control of their abilities just in time for the final battle, and there is not as much Spider-Man Noir and Spider-Ham as I'd have liked. I'll give points back for the former, though, because he's still not quite perfect and does struggle quite a bit at times, but he still goes from barely being able to survive against foes to kicking ass in about a song's length. For the latter I guess you do want to leave your audience wanting more.. but still I feel they could have given us a lot more of what Nick Cage and John Mulaney had to offer. Otherwise it's an absolutely fantastic story with a lot more twists and heart to it than I expected. I'm not a huge fan of the animation style personally, but I would say it fits very well with the more "out there" comic-book tone this type of a story naturally gives off.

And whatever you do, watch the final end credit scene. When the credits were rolling I had a quick thought to myself that it'd be amazing if they had a nod to what the scene shows, but while this movie is pretty self-aware of Spider-Man pop culture in general, I thought it was something way too meta and silly for them to actually do. Oh but I was wrong, and that scene was more than I could have ever asked for :D

The two Stan Lee cameos are great, and the little Stan Lee and Steve Ditko remembrance bit during the credits was a very lovely touch.

~Thylo

Last edited: 8 Jan 2019
    Brum likes this.
  19. Brum

Best bit of the film, and that is saying something of the quality of that scene alone! It was also the part of the film that me and my daughter were quoting to each ther all the way back home! :p What did you think of the nod to the dancing in Spider-Man 3? And yeah, Nic Cage definitely was the highlight for me, even with minimum lines! :D

I did get a little choked up when Miles first gets his suit, made me realise that Stan really is gone and the days of his cameos will soon be over. :(

20. Brum

I probably would, especially since I've only seen one film out of the three...

Pretty sure that's the actual phrase, my blue cyborg mates are always saying it! :p

The only time I've ever heard of boiled goose is in a Lonely Island song, Boombox, so I'm guessing it's to do with that?