Join our zoo community

Your Favourite/Least Favourite Movies in 2019 and What 2020 Movies Are You Excited For?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Hipporex, 13 Dec 2019.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's that time of year again, I have three questions for you:
    1. What were your favorite movies of this year?
    2. What were your least favorite movies of this year?
    3. What 2020 movies are you most excited for?
    Here are my answers:

Favorite 2019 Movies
    1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    2. Avengers: Endgame
    3. Knives Out
    4. Joker
    5. Spider-Man: Far From Home
    6. Shazam!
    7. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabelleum
    8. It: Chapter 2
    9. Yesterday
    10. Angle Has Fallen
    Least Favorite 2019 Movies
    1. 47 Meters Down: Uncaged
    2. The Hustle
    3. Frozen II
    4. Rocketman
    5. Cold Pursuit
    (Bonus) Favorite Short Film:
    1. Jurassic World: Battle at Big Rock
    I may later update this list as there are two, maybe three, more movies I plan on seeing this year.

Most Anticipated 2020 Movies
    1. Godzilla vs. Kong
    2. Wonder Woman 1984
    3. The Eternals
    4. Black Widow
    5. Venom 2
    I'm interested to hear what you all have to say. Feel free to give the reasons why you did or didn't like movies you chose. (I simply chose not too)

Last edited: 13 Dec 2019
    SpinyLiving, Jambo, Zoofan15 and 2 others like this.
  2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With the caveat that there are still films I haven't got round to watching yet, and obviously there's films that haven't been released yet. There's this little indie sci-fi movie coming out soon, don't think anyone's too bothered about it though...

Favourite Movies Of 2019
    All three MCU movies were solid, Once Upon A Time... was quality, Toy Story was much better than the cheap cash grab I initially took it for, and finally Rambo: Last Blood was surprisingly good as well.

Least Favourite Movies Of 2019
    All of the Disney remakes make it on to here, Lion King was the best of a bad bunch, and Dumbo being the worst. I genuinely despise that movie! Tried watching Lady And The Tramp and gave up after 20 minutes.
    Joker was disappointing, probably doesn't belong here but I can't put it in my favourites, and it has to be mentioned somewhere as it was a phenomenon. It just didn't really do it for me.
    Dark Phoenix was my least favourite film of the year, just because of the wasted potential yet again from Fox. Thank God the X-Men are now with Marvel, and let's raise a glass to the burial of New Mutants, which was probably going to be sh*t anyway if we're being honest.

Most Eagerly Anticipated Movies Of 2019
    Back Widow and The Eternals are the only two that spring immediately to mind. I'll have to come back to this one later.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You say burial.... last I heard they are persisting with releasing it :p

4. Brum

I hear that occasionally, but I think it's Bob Iger when he's drunk. "Let'sh releashe that crappy X thingy. I'm a geniushhhh, I can do no wrong!" and then the next morning he's praying everyone forgets the press release made in alcohol! :p

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I didn't see many movies this year but the best one of the ones I saw was Detective Pikachu. I am very exited for the new Star Wars movie, and I will probably get Disney+ soon to watch the Mandalorian (is that how it's spelled?) and see all the MCU movies (I still haven't seen a single one).

Toy Story 4 was pretty good as well. The worst movie I saw this year was The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't watch a lot of movies (or at least not until well after they were actually released), but probably Happy Death Day 2U was my favourite one I saw in cinemas.

John Wick 3 was good, but I'd probably count it as a disappointment because it is the third least good in the series and really just got silly and cliche-ey through a lot of the movie.

I'm most looking forward to Wonder Woman 1984 and will likely see it at the cinema. Is Thor 4 being released in 2020?

7. Brum

2022 currently. :(

8. Chlidonias

I can't wait that long!! I'll have probably seen even Endgame by then!

9. Brum

You probably should give Endgame ago, you're currently in a minority by not having seen it, multiple times, to the point you can quote big chunks of the movie, and you know exactly where your favourite scenes are... Or maybe that's me, and I'm in the minority? :eek::p

10. Chlidonias

Pssh, I can do that without having seen it. Favourite scene? Anything with blue cyborg lady. Favourite quote? Anything said by Thor.

Brum likes this.
  11. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

I wasn't too crazy about most of this year's offerings film-wise. The worst I saw was Godzilla: King of the Monsters. It was probably the worst of the major franchise films I have seen in many, many years. I thought Aquaman was stupid and incoherent, albeit visually beautiful and imaginative at times, but Godzilla made Aquaman look brilliant.

Nothing pops out as being especially memorable in a positive way. I did enjoy Detective Pikachu, but it was one of those films that was fun while it lasted. It wasn't one of those movies that was especially memorable.

I did enjoy what I saw of Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado, but I need to see it in its entirety.

What am I excited for next year? Nothing, really.

12. Hipporex

The reason I liked Godzilla: KOTM is because I got exactly what I went to see: giant monsters wrecking ****. Godzilla: KOTM is a bad movie - dumb character motivations, cheesy dialogue, and little to no character arcs. But guess what, it? It's an amazing kaiju movie. I didn't go to see a Godzilla movie to see intelligent character motivations, superb dialogue, and awesome character arcs. If someone wants to see these things, a Godzilla movie isn't the place to be. (However I totally respect your opinion and this isn't an "attack," I'm just defending my viewpoint.)

13. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

And you know what? That's fair enough. But even as giant monsters battling each other, I still didn't enjoy it. It had some enjoyable moments, but I didn't enjoy it as an entire product. The fights, to me anyway, lacked tension. I wish it had slowed down a little bit and had less in the way of monster battles. I enjoyed Kong: Skull Island a lot more.

And I also don't expect high art from monster movies and the like. I think many over-the-top big budget blockbusters are better than given credit by critics for what they're trying to be. On the other hand, I think some are actually incredibly overrated. The 2012 Avengers, for instance, and Days of Future Past.

By the way, I also think a lot of the "Oscar bait" films of recent years aren't that great either. The Shape of Water was as cliché of a film as I've seen in recent years. While I'm a big fan Clint Eastwood, I don't think any of his directorial works this decade are as good as his great stuff from previous decades (I haven't seen his latest film yet). The Mule, while not bad, wasn't as good as Gran Torino.

In the end, there's always more than one way to look at any film, and one audience member's junk is another person's treasure.

14. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Out of the few movies I've seen this year (6 in total), here's my ranking.

1. Avengers: Endgame
    2. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    3. The Lion King (best of the remakes imo)
    4. The Lego Movie 2
    5. Aladdin
    6. Dumbo
    I have no idea what to look forward to in the new year, but hopefully something good will arrive.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2019
  15. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

Favorite Movie: Midsommar
    A disturbing psychedelic horror film from director Ari Aster (who also directed 2018's Hereditary). Florence Pugh gives an amazing lead performance and gorgeous cinematography helps carry the film. Probably my favorite horror film of the last decade. I've seen it multiple times now and am giving it a 9/10.
    Honorable Mentions: Avengers: Endgame (8.5/10), Knives Out (8/10)

Least Favorite Movie: Cats
    Cats is...transcendentally bad. I have never seen such a soulless, blatantly unfinished film. The CGI and mo-cap are so sloppy; heads floated off of bodies, feet floated above the ground, objects clipped through the fur, fur texture would appear and disappear between shots, there was no sense of scale, the backgrounds had an inexplicable vaporwave look and looked like they were renders from a PS2 game. The performances were good, and the music is good, but there's no plot whatsoever. I'm giving Cats a 2/10.
    Dishonorable Mentions: Lion King 2019 (5/10 but only because I couldn't review it fairly), Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (5/10 as well...but it almost gave me a seizure and is the only movie I've ever seen that's made me physically ill)

Most Anticipated 2020 Releases: Wonder Woman 1984 and Tenet

twilighter and Anniella like this.
  16. birdsandbats

I can add Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker to the good list. :)

Hipporex likes this.
  17. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I haven't watched 1917, yet, but from the main Golden Globes and most probably Oscar nominees , this is my favorites so far:

The Irishman
    The Two Popes
    The Joker
    Knives Out

The Korean drama Parasites also deserves attention.

Even as a big fan of the saga, I can not rate The Rise of Skywalker very high, unfortunately.

18. birdsandbats

What was your opinion on The Last Jedi?

19. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I definitely liked it and had higher expectations for the 3rd episode . After the Rise of Skywalker finished, I felt almost the same as after the last episode of the Game of Thrones this year. "Lets just finish this, they will pay for more anyway "

20. Hipporex

Updated list:

Favorite 2019 Movies
    1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    2. Avengers: Endgame
    3. Knives Out
    4. Joker
    5. Spider-Man: Far From Home
    6. Jumanji: The Next Level
    7. Shazam!
    8. Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker