Join our zoo community

Your favourite photography subject of 2019

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by littleRedPanda, 23 Dec 2019.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I'm sure this will be expanded beyond a single character or family, but 'who' have you most enjoyed photographing this year.

For me, it was far and away the Polar bear cub (Hertha) in Berlin. How I wished I had a better lens at the time, but still special seeing such a lively young cub.

amur leopard likes this.
  2. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

In terms of wildlife it is likely the vagrant Varied Thrush that spent two days in Central Texas. The bird was not particularly compliant for photos but I spent a good 3 hours following it around and photographing it so I got some fantastic shots of it.

In terms of captivity, that likely would be the Peruvian Meadowlark at the Nashville Zoo. I was expecting the bird to be extremely difficult to see but it was rather the opposite and provided me with a variety of angles and great shots all around.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  3. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thoroughly like photographing two subjects: Granby's Japanese serows and Buffalo's sand cats.

Neva and littleRedPanda like this.
  4. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

London zoo's male Sumatran tiger :)

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't do photography as a rule, but I did spend a fair bit of time with All Things Wild's golden jackals, Hoo Farm's African civets also captured my imagination more than usual.

6. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me, it was photographing the wild grey wolves in Yellowstone National Park. Very challenging but also very enjoying and rewarding.

7. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me in 2019 my particularly favored photography subjects were parrots, from the lorikeets at my local zoos to the rare species at Pairi Daiza.

Another favorite were the black-and-rufous elephant shrews at Zoo Antwerpen.

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ocelot kittens at El Paso Zoo, followed closely by sand cat kittens at Hogle Zoo. Also caracal kitten at Cat Haven and Mexican wolf pups at Phoenix Zoo.

9. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Easily the pygmy shrew in Wroclaw, followed by Baby in Duisberg and the gaur calf in Dortmund.

10. GregOz

GregOz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Definitely living in Singapore and visiting the zoo's a lot more, I finally broke the curse of never seeing the Javan langur so that would be my favourite. Close second to the smooth coated otters we see pretty regularly where we live.

11. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

Well, my main favourite subject was Asiatic golden cat. For the first time I saw them in Wuppertal in 2018, I still remember my heartbeat then... So I'd planned and went to Heidelberg and Munster in Spring - specially for them.

And beside AGC there were other cats, like Leopardus guttulus, Rusty-spotted cats/Fishing cats in Ostrava and absolutely fantastic Pallas's cat family - which I had a chance to observe from the first time on the main enclosure :).

Arizona Docent likes this.