Join our zoo community

Your land, your money, your zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by adrian1963, 25 Jan 2010.

1. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

This is just to get our thoughts going as the weather should start to get better over the next few months
    Right here goes
    You have 60 acrers of land, it can be flat, sloped, have a pond on it, have a river running through it, have sand all over it, back on to the sea, or be on the side of a mountain.
    You have a budget of £20 Million pounds I'd like to know what breeding species you would like to keep on the land and how you would furnish the enclosures.
    Also why you would keep them species, How many staff you would want, what other attractions you would have, and finally how you would teach people about the species you have.

2. fire&ice

fire&ice Active Member

It sounds like one of the tasks on 'Zoo Tycoon' :p

Although a good question, may take some thinking over!

3. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Never played or had ago at zoo tycoon any good

4. fire&ice

fire&ice Active Member

Depends really, if you've ever been stood in a zoo and thought to yourself 'this is what id do differently' then yes. Its a game i get addicted too once i start :)

5. lechweoryx

lechweoryx Well-Known Member

I would keep 10 acres for uses other than the zoo, for example I would keep horses, chickens and other domestic animals as I have always wanted a smallholding.
    The zoo would take the visitor on a journey through the continents of the world where they would reach certain points and be able to look out over different areas eg african savannah.
    Personally I would keep central and east African animals in the Savannah exhibit like black rhino, wildebeest, Nile lechwe, ostrich, Besia oryx, cranes, lesser Kudu, gerenuk, Burchell's Zebra, Baringo Giraffe and waterfowl.

Van Beal likes this.
  6. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

As I'm quite interested in the idea of having a native wildlife park like the ones on continental europe in the UK that's probably what I'd do. I suppose that this has the advantage of not costing as much as a normal zoo (my designs always cost a gazallion dollars) and also fills a niche market not properly exploited (except possibly by HWP). I think I would fashion it as one main loop around a large waterfowl lake with several others leading off of it into deciduous woodland. Species wise, it would include a number of paddocks with moose, chillingham park wild cattle, Wisent, Konik Horse, Red Deer, common crane and wild boar rotating through them regularly (lessening the damage of the more destructive species). It would also have enclosures for Brown Bear and European Wolf (possibly with an area between which both species can access), lynx, wolverine, wildcat, fox, pine marten, beaver, otter, red squirrel (in a large system of interconnected aviaries) etc. Enclosures would be large and spread out over the area with bird feeders, bat boxes, bee-hives etc in between attracting wildlife. There would also be a few exhibit buildings show-casing smaller species and possibly a fresh-water aquarium.

7. foz

foz Well-Known Member

I would have a small zoo. :
    - an orangutan exhibit. the main complex will be of netted enclosures (which will act as isolation enclosures) these will have basic climbing facilities. the main enclosure will be an island encllosure with an authentic bornean longhouse stretaching over some of the moat. the island features naturally occuring mature trees. there will also be an O-line design such as National zoo, washington. the second compelx will be a large chunk of fenced off woodland which can be viewed form a raised boardwalk. (estimated cost - 10 million, covering 16 acres in total)

- a large open enclosure for asiatic black ebars with enphasis on the bear bile trade. the enclosure will be large and feature climbable coniferous trees, and rocky outcrops. there will also be a smaller seperation enclosure should the bears need to be seperated. there will be a longhouse visitor area as well as viewing through mesh fencing. (estimated cost - 1 million, covering 3 acres)

- a series of avairy enclosures for pink pigeon, tawny frogmouth, keel billed toucans, waldrapp and sacred ibis. (estimated cost - 300,000,)

- a netted enclosure with glass fencing for Clouded leopards with lush vegetations, a runnign stream and climbing equipment. There is also visitor viewing into the indoor area. the visitors are undercover so the visitors are in the dark and viewing is clearer. (estimated cost - 400,000, over 1.5 acres including indoor and off show areas).

- caribbean wild! an exhibit showing the caribbean wildlife. there a walkthrough avairy with squirrel monkey's, flamingo's, roseate spoonbill, scarlet ibis are free ranging amongst the visitors. there are also standard avairies for montserrat oriole, red fronted macaw, scarlet macaw (which will eventually be replaced by a more endangered macaw) azaras agouti, paca and desmarests hutia (the paca and hutia have indoor viewing) also an island enclosure for buffy headed capuchin. estimated cost - 1 million.

- a standard monkey for red capped mangabey's and de brazzas guenon. the outdoor enclosures are large and netted with mature trees. the mangabey's are displayed with an eye on more endnagered species such as white colalred managbey, as wel as the categroy of managbey's as a whole. the same for de brazzas guenon. (estimated cost - 600,000)

- a large series of netted avairies for duck species, veiwed by the visitors through bird hides. hottentot teal, indonesian teal, phillipine duck, white faced whilstling duck, mellers duck and madagascan teal. the bird hides limit the public's viewing giving privacy to these species. (cost - 800,00)

- a nice retile house which also includes a small tropical hall. the tropical hall is like newquay's but a bit bigger (see gallery for the hall). Tropical hall species: red titi monkey, silvery marmoset, red eared slider, scorro toad, lesser malay chevrotain, sloth, rodriguez flying fox, pied imperial pigeon, roul-roul partridge, black necked aracari, victoria crowned pigeon, rainbow lorikeet, tree shrew, agouti. reptile house species: morelets crocodile, dwarf crocodile, mountain chicken, green tree monitor, geoffrey's side necked turtle, black amrsh turtle, radiated tortoise, jamaican boa, horned toad, emerald tree boa, cuban boa, standings day gecko, madagascan day gecko, blue poison dart frog, snake necked turte, brown anole, vieled chameleon, fire salamander, inland bearded dragon, mangrove snake,
    (cost 2 million)

- 2 cage enclosures for european minks and european wild cats. each has got lush vegetation and some climbing facilities. (estimated cost: 40,000)

- 2 large cages enclosure with large tree for fossas. each cage has a seperate hut with indoor viewing. climbing equipment, rock, logs and ropes supplement the climbing of trees." more simialr acges for Binturong (estimated cost: 30,000)

- a small cage for owstons palm civet with some tropical plants, there is additional off show enclosures at the back of the cage. there is also an indoor hut for the civets (estimated cost: 10,000)

- a series of small islands for geoffrey's marmoset, silvery marmoset, golden lion tamarin and pied tamarin. the lake has black swan and red naped crane, blue crane.

- a large lake enclosure for Hippopotamus with extended decking across the water with a covered hut full of interpretation. there is a large indoor viewing opportunity and there is the ability to feed the hippos (with small pieces of cabbage ) at certian times of the day. (estimated cost: 1 million)

free ranging will be guinea fowl, peafowl, mara,

In total thats around £18 million i think :D

8. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

Our place is a small place with only 4 ha. We are working one it for some years and more 2 years will be needed for open it to the public previously is was a private breeding center.

We choose to work only with rare or endangered Brazilian species.

At the entrance you go trough the Pampas Exhibit where we are geographically situated (Walk Trough) for Intermediary Rheas (Rhea americana intermediaria) and Lowland Tapirs (Tapirus terrestris), after this you walk trough a live Bamboo Tunnel and reach inside the park, the first exhibit is for waterfowl, there we keep only Orinoco Geese (Neochen jubata), some steps further you reach the Yellow Footed Tortoise Exhibit and the Endangered Callitrichids of Brazil display featuring Callithrix geoffroyi, Callithrix kuhlli, Saguinus niger and Mico chrysoleuca.

Than you came to the Rare Parakeet Breeding Center that keeps 6 different breeding groups of Pyrrhuras. THan you reach the restaurant and Children Plaza from there you see the large group of Azaras Agoutis from a Platform that goes over theier enclosure. Next exhibit is the Lions of Brazil Forrest, is a free ranging exhibit for a family of 8 Golden Headed Lion Tamarins, next to them is Spider Monkey Exhibit that features a group of Ateles paniscus in a natural forest area.

Nexth to the Spider monkeys we have a rocky area that is a exhibit for the rarest mammal of the world, the Cavia intermediaria, there are only 50 individuals in nature that lives in a island at the South Brazillian Coast, we keep 12 individuals.

I forgot the White Lipped Peccary area that is also near the Spider Monkey Area.

This exhibits are ready!

Now we are working one exhibits for Maned Wolfs, a Brazilian Endangered Passerine Walk Trough Enclosure featuring Tangara fastuosa, Tangara peruviana, Gubernatrix cristata, Sporophila falcirostris and Sporophila palustris, the Amphibiam and Reptile Breeding Center that is specialized in breeding Melanophryniscus species and Bothrops insularis.

The nexth buildings that are planned are for Oncifelis colocolo and for Leopardus tigrinus.

Renovation of the Cracid Center is also planned for the nexth 2 years, displaying CRax blumenbachii and Penelope jacucaca.

We are also planning to display a herd of Pampas Deer if we get permits to import them from Uruguay.

Beside our animal collection we also keep endangered plants with a big native orchid and cactus collection, a native palm of South Brazil collection (5 different species of Butia).

We also have great gardens, since we dont have a big animal collection we decide to setup a paradisiac atmosphere.

We are not a normal zoo, we are only in to conservation of rare species!

This is a litle bit of what you can do in a small area.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2010
    steveroberts likes this.
  9. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Eduardo, this sounds absolutely brilliant. Your place is the very sort of institution that Western zoos should assist in their conservation fund-raising. A nice mixture of animals and plants in breeding programs in a natural setting for the local population. What is the name of your park?

10. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

Hi,

Our name is CRER BRASIL - Center for Reproduction of Endangered Wildlife.

We are working one a website as soon is online I will post here.

Like i told in other posts about zoos the things are slowly in Brazil, there are no funds from government for such things, then we have to do every thing what we can with our own money, mostly from our own private money, but no problemm, this is my life!

Beside the center I also run a artist management agency and this help us a lot!

We love our animals and they also love us, and this is sufficient for we go further with our work!

Last edited: 28 Jan 2010
    steveroberts likes this.
  11. bazzoobuilder

bazzoobuilder Well-Known Member

I would fence it round put in a footpath that zig zags through the best possible landscaped wild life habitats put in some hides and encourage wildlife as far as is reasonably possible. This land would then be open to restricted numbers of visitors at a very low cost. This would cost about £4M I would put by £6M for upkeep and spend the remaining £10M visiting all the zoos and nature reserves in the world. Result.

12. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

And you could build it all in six days and have a nap on the sunday, even better!

13. bazzoobuilder

bazzoobuilder Well-Known Member

Redpanda I’m spending £4million on this! somebody else does the work don’t you think?

14. Midlan

Midlan Member

Well, I would spend 1 million on an Entrance Zone, including a Gift Shop, Cafe and Information Booth. Right next to the Entrance Zone would be an Evolution Hall, this would have a budget of £750,000. The Evolution Hall would display Fossils of both Animals and Plants and would include many interactive exhibits.

The Entrance Zone, Car Park and Evolution Hall would take up about 7 acres.

After passing through the Entrance Zone, the first exhibit seen will be Scarlet Ibis and Waldrop Ibis in large aviaries. Following the pathways through the entire zoo many endangered species shall be exhibited, this includes...

- Mountain Gorilla
    - Dhole
    - Gharials
    - Rothschild Giraffes
    - Przewalski Horse
    - Scimitar Horned Oryx
    - Small Primates - Such as Marmosets, Tamarins, Lemurs
    - A Small Mammal Section
    - Fossa
    - A British Wildlife Corner - With a walk thorugh deer enclosure
    - Maybe a small Nocturnal Enclosure very much like Newquay Zoo's
    - Hyacinth Macaw Exhibit

The Zoo shall not be massive yet will include many aviaries based on the Wetlands, Desserts and Rainforest. There shall be a small aquarium beside the Cafe. The Aquarium will exhibit the dangers of over fishing aswell as many endangered, critically endangered, interesting aquaria. The Cafe shall only serve MSC aproved fish along with many vegetarian choices.

There shall also be a Tropical house which exhibits many Birds, Crocodilians, Reptiles, Insects and Amphibians.

Through out the Zoo the gardens will be of the greatest quality and dotted around the Zoo will be large Glass Houses for the public to visit.

I know Ive probably gone over 20 Million, Oops!

15. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

my Zoo

Here's my attempt, which is probably far too big and way over budget.

As you enter, on your right are toilets, buggy hire, gift shop, cafe, etc
    On your left is a tropical house, which is split into two sections. The first section is similar to that at cotswolds, with Linnaeus's Two-Toed Sloths, Rodrigues Fruit Bats and Free Flying Birds. The second section is your average reptile house, with Green Iguanas, Green Anacondas, Caiman Lizards, Yellow-Footed Tortoises, a few species of Poison Dart Frogs and Brazilian Insect species. Finally, as you exit, you see the indoor quarters of Macaws as well as an exhibit with Golden Lion Tamarins, Geoffrey's Marmosets and Emperor Tamarins. Outside you see the outdoor quarters of the Macaws, Marmosets and Tamarins, then two quite large primate enclosures, the first housing Buffy-Headed Capuchins, Black-Capped Squirrel Monkeys and White-Faced Sakis, and the second housing Red-Faced Spider Monkeys and Cotton-Top Tamarins, as well as several small bird aviaries. Then is a small mammal zone, with Bush Dogs, Giant Otters, Southern Tamanduas, Azara's Agouti and Brazilian Guinea Pigs.

I will post 'part 2' shortly, which is a Chinese themed zone with Bactrian Camels, Wolverines and more, as well as a small area named 'Little Africa'

16. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Part 2

I have just covered the tropical house and surrounding areas, which is next to the entrance (which is located at the south of the zoo).

Next is the North-east of the zoo, which has a chinese theme.

Right in the corner, there are four reasonably sized enclosures for Red Pandas, Wolverines, Pallas's Cats, and Malayan Porcupines. Surrounding that are paddocks for Przewalski's Wild Horses, Pere David's Deer, Bactrian Camels and Gaur.

In the South-east corner of the zoo is a group of five exhibits collectively called 'Little Africa'. The first exhibit is home to a pair of Aardvarks, the second to a small family of Kirk's Dik-Diks, the third is a mixed exhibit housing Meerkats and Yellow Mongooses, the fourth is also mixed, with Warthogs and Banded Mongooses. The final is a netted enclosure, which displays Dwarf Mongooses and Red-Billed Dwarf Hornbills. Plans for a walkthrough with African Birds (like Tsavo at chester), are being looked at.

Soon is part 3, which is the centre of the zoo, with a Brazilian themed exhibit and a Phillipines Themed Exhibit.

17. foz

foz Well-Known Member

I've been designing my zoo on paper for the last few days and it is inspired by my favourite zoo Newquay. It has the same basic layout, but is a bigger and has different /new species. btw this isn't likely to stick to the budget but who cares!

So I'll start at the entrance. First thing visitors see is a statue (more of a bronze totem pole) of a variety of extinct species including dodo, great auk, newtons parakeet etc. behind it is a small raised border of decorative flowers. to the right is the education hut (where school trips and stuff can happen), next to them toilets and next to the education hut a nocturnal house. the nocturnal house is basically a square (bigger than Newquay's but just as wide).
    Species in the nocturnal house:
    paca, sebas fruit bat, pygmy slow loris, moholi galago, douroucouli, paca, armadillo, suagar glider, merriams kangaroo rat, aruba island rattle snake, malgasy jumping rat and kinkajou.

Outside the nocturnal house are two consecuctive cages for De brazza's guenon (flagship for all guenon species) and white naped mangabey (flagship for all mangabey species. the cages are traditional mesh with a range of hardy plants inside. they are very tall and high. the two species both have indoor area (viewed through glass). next to the mangabey cage (which is furthest away from the nocturnal house) is the primate hut. in here are a variety of educational props (such as skeletons, stuffed species, cages ect) used to show how the visitors can make a difference to the conservation of Primate species. the primate hut also has glass viewing into the mangabey cage.

Next to the primate hut is the large Reptile house / Tropical Hall. Exactly opposite the entrance of the tropical hall is the red panda enclosure. Reptile exhibit comes first with the tropical hall at the back.
    species in the reptile house: Common boa, jamaican boa, cuban boa, eyelash viper, emerald tree boa, mangrove snake, anaconda, lesser antilles iguana, vieled chameleon, standings day gecko, brown anole, leopard gecko, madagascan day gecko, indland bearded dragon, blue tongued skin, green tree monitor asian water monitor, chinese aligator, morelets crocodile, Black marsh turtle, geoffrey's side necked turtle, snake necked turtle, snapping turtle, leoaprd tortoise, yellow margined box turtle. axolotl, great crested newt, mountain chicken, blue posion dart frog, whites tree frog, asian foam nesting tree frog, red eyed tree frog, golden posion dart frog, green banded poison dart frog, golden mantella.

Species in the tropical hall: (in the open rainforest, which can be viewed from two levels, with waist height glass panneling at both) grey winges trumpeter, pied imperial pigeon, victoria crowned pigeon, pekin robin, bali starling, nicobar pigeon, blac neked aracari, roul-roul partridge, black crake, wattled jacana, rainbow lorikeet, black bulbul, scorro toad, two toed sloth, rodriguez flying fox, lesser malay chevrotain, golden lion tamarin, radiated tortoise, green iguana.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2010
  18. foz

foz Well-Known Member

spelling...I'm terrible

Back at the entrance, this time going left: there is a small (Newquay-esque) lake. The first Island is the largest and is for Siamang's. this is heavily planted with mature trees, and connected to a house (&holding pens) behind the lake, by logs and ropes. around to the side of the lake (connected to the entrance) is the exit & shop. opposite the siamangs is a tortoise enclosure which seperates the nocturnal house and the lake. further along the lake is a sort-of-an-island for ring tail lemurs. I say sort of an island because it is just a piece of jutting out land with a back fence. Next to the ring tail lemur island (which is bigger than Newquay's) is the island for Geoffroy's marmosets (this is exaclty like Newquay's).

Opposite the marmoset islands is an activity hut where face painting and stuff happens. the activity hut faces the red panda enclosure which is just slighty in front of the marmoset islands. the red panda enclosure is oval-ish in shape and features large mature trees and the standard red panda stuff. the visitor path goes most of the way around the enclosure excepts it curves off slightly to form a circle. this piece of land features a small cage construction for carnivorous plants. Before the path leads to the reptile house. So at the moment the paths are basically a rectangle out from the entrance. At the lake there is a fenced off enlosure for Blue cranes. roughly where Newquay's phillipine exhibit is, is a large enclosure Pygmy hippo's. the house is about where the cape parrot cage is at newquay. the Hippo enclosure has large trees and bushes. and can be sepearted down the middle. There is board walk path (closest to the reptile house), the boardwalk stretches over the pool the hippo's have. next to the Hippo's is an enclosure for Red river hogs and in the tree in the hippo enclosure is a statue of a leopard. the boardwalk backs onto a sort of mound with a few ornamental trees. There is a path that leads from the reptile house up the mound (past a few offices and keeper areas) to the sulawesi crested macaque enclosure (again stolen from Newquay.).
    back to the red river hogs the path leads around a 'secret garden' - with various palnts and stuff. the path leads to a series of traditional avairies for Red fronted macaw + agouti, blue and gold macaw +agouti , sulphur crested cockatoo and desmarest hutia.

19. foz

foz Well-Known Member

From the hutia cage there is a picnic area, across from this is the south american enclosure for tapir, capybara and pied tamarin on an island in the middle of the tapir pool (again nicked from Newquay!). Forgot to mention on the otherside of the path from the red river hogs is a large avairy 4 sacred and scarlet ibis.

Okay to the macaque house (with glass viewing from the outside) there is an avairy for thick billed parrots like this (roughly where the vasa black parrots are but covering a much bigger area) :

http://www.zoochat.com/61/edinburgh-zoo-06-04-09-a-71635/

the path leads down from the mound to the picnic area and play area. there is a cafe (which in terms of location, backs onto the ibis avairy and to it's side is the secret garden. there are large areas of lawn for picnicing. Next to the tapir enclosure first is a small cage with hazel dormouse (not that any visitors will see them) behind this cage is the house and enclosure for pudu. there is a path that leads to the side of the pudu enclosure for emergency exits (for example a cougar escapes:eek:). on the other side of this path is the wildlife gardens. this features a wildlife hide (that leads from the emergency exit path), wildlife pond, bird tables, bird boxes, and natural vegetation. around the otherside of the widlife gardens is a nectar garden with a bee box nearby. adjacent to the wildlife gardens (back towards the entrance) is a play ground. facing the picnic areas, lawns an playground is a series of aviaries for an assortment of birds, including: Bleeding heart dove, pink pigeon, montserrat oriole, blue cornwed lauhging thrush. from the Bee and wildlfie area, walking past the avairies you go staright into the leopard den. The den has glass viewing out onto the leopard enclosure and features an upstairs (called leopard lookout) which has floor to ceiling glass viewing and a variety of educational props on leopards.

20. foz

foz Well-Known Member

making the spelling a tiny bit better

The leopard enclosure itself is alot bigger than Newquay's Lion enclosure, with the same design as the lynx enclosure with a half open cage. the enclosure centres around a rocky mound, with large mature trees, a small pond, a variety of climbing equipment, rock and logs. Next to the leopard enclosure is an identical enclosure for mountain lions. Next to the Mountain lion enclosure is an exhibition centre and conference centre. There is a another small play area opposite the exhibition building and further along from that is a kiosk and then raccoon dogs. there is newquay's current meerkat enclosure but also for aardvarks which is right infront of the raccoon dog enclosure. The whole carnivore area forms a square away from the main zoo. Behind the bird aviaries is an L shaped exhibit for fossa. these are huge netted enclosures (there are 2 ), with natural trees such as pine and beech. behind the fossa enclosure's (fitting into the L shape) is a store area for the carnivores. Close to the fossa enclosure and connected to the meerkats/aadrvark there is an enclosure for tawny frogmouth, which is a species which represent the endangered Puerto rican nightjar. Toilets are nearby.

Okay Reverse back to the Blue crane and Red pandas. and turning left (facing away from the exit). there is a netted avairy for cape parrots attacthed to the hippo enclosure. there is a boardwalk (Just like the current african savannha exhibit boardwalk):

http://www.zoochat.com/210/african-savanna-approach-newquay-zoo-11-a-74607/

There is a very tall netted enclosure for howler monkeys (which represents the uakari project by the zoo), roseate spoonbill, ibis and anything else that needs a home :D. next to the netted enclosure (Newquay's african savanhha) is an enclosure for asiatic black bears from rescue centers in asia. the house is at the back of the savanhha with off show facilities leading from this, behind the howler monkey enclosure. the main enclosure features climbing equpment, large pond, trees and allsorts. (think of it like a monkey world enclosure for bears.

http://www.zoochat.com/195/chimps-monkey-world-14-february-2004-a-61356/

http://www.zoochat.com/210/african-savanna-113658/