Join our zoo community

Your worst bite - sting - scratch

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by vogelcommando, 27 Sep 2016.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

well that'll teach you to walk around on stilts amongst acacias then, won't it.

nicholas likes this.
  2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

You're just jealous!

:p

Hix

3. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I had a horrible bite from that species myself, I have had multiple pet cockatiel's over the years and every time I need to catch them (like say, to clip their wings) I have to use a towel.

4. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

I've had my knee scratched by a leopord, from sitting too close to the cage bars, I've had my fingers cruched by both tamanduas and giant anteaters. A scarlet macaw bit my wrist, causing a loss of sensation to the upper part of my hand for several years. My absolut worst bite though, was from a domestic rabbit. I had handled a male rabbat that I rescued from the woods, and when I went to feed my pet, male, rabbit he bit on to the palm of my hand and started kicking and pulling. Probably the most painful animal experience I ever had. I still have a beautiful , c-shaped scar.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I just say :"WHAT, a rabbit ?" ;) and also found this :
    Shelter forced to call psychologist to treat bloodthirsty bunny with a taste for human flesh

6. vogelcommando

While still working at Walsrode ( must have been around 1988 ) we had 3 Shoebills in the winter-houses ( al kept seperatly ) and all 3 of them being quite tame. One of them however couldn't stand-out black-haired persons and one time I was feeding it - their food was provided in a bucket but when I had time I also offered them food by hand - another ( black-haired ) zoo-keeper walked along the enclosure and the bird lost its temper and snapt me in the hand and the scar was visiable for a long time after the "accident" !

7. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have been bitten by loads of stuff. I have been bitten by a jumping-jack hand (hurt like hell), I have been bitten twice by my pet snake (loads of blood) I have been chewed on the foot by a giant catfish, I have stung by around 40 wasps on my back and then I had to be sent to hospital (apparently if I had had been allergic I would have died), I have been bitten by my pet lizard (surprisingly painful) and several turtles including my pet turtle (turtle bites actually really hurt!), I have also been stung by a bee and countless green ants. I can upload the photos of the catfish and snake bites if you want...

8. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Mine is rather lame, especially given that injuries sustained from other humans don't count for this thread.

Domestic dog. Mistook my leg for another dog and bit right into it, then got me on the foot as I was trying to get away from it. Did I mention that I was barefoot at the time? I bled all over the place but somehow didn't need to go to the Emergency Room.

9. vogelcommando

During the last coiuple of months I was ablemto work with a lot of species I had never taken care for before and 2 accidents happened :
    - first I was bitten by a Green anaconda but luckily it still was a small specimen and only some blood-drops were the result of this bite.
    - While cleaning and feeding one of our Giant centipedes ( Scolopendra subspinipes ) I was bitten in my middle finger. First I only felt the bite but within 15 minutes thefinger started to swell and again 15 minutes later my complete hand was red, swollen and hurted quite a lot. I then decided to go to the doctor and with help of the National Venom and Toxic Institute it was ddecided that the best cure would be to put my hand in ( very ) hot water because this would break-down the venom. The hand hurted for another 2 days but then everything was oke again :).

IMG-20221018-WA0000[1].jpg
    'normal' hand ( above ) and bitten hand ( below )

10. Van Beal

Van Beal Well-Known Member

Not nearly as interesting as most others in this thread, but got stung in the ear by a yellowjacket wasp a few years back.

11. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

I've been bitten by a beetle in my childhood, probably by an Ocypus olens (Devil's coach horse beetle, common in Europe).
    I collected insects in my garden, when I saw a large black beetle ; I tried to catch it in my hands, then I felt a very painful bite. The pain lasted a couple of weeks.

12. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Scolopendra scare the daylights out of me:(

vogelcommando likes this.
  13. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Didn't happen to me, but my brother and I were paddle boarding and he fell off the board. Ended up hitting a piece of coral and it got lodged in his leg. I mean it's an animal, don't know if it "stung" or "bit" though.

Mickey likes this.
  14. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

I was once trying horse management in an Hippodrome, and during an exercise a horse stomped on all of the toes of my foot (luckily it wasn't heavy and not even on purpose, so the pain lasted for like half an hour).

Almost got bit in the internal part of the nose by my uncles's dog, would've gotten a nose ring if that happened:p can't say my best friend's aunt was as lucky as me: her and my best friend father's dog bit her in the nose, soft part; she had to go to the hospital and of course couldn't breathe very well because of the bandage on the nose, since then she has a scar on the nose and the cartilage is a bit deviated. The first dog is a half-breed (?) medium dog, the second is a long-haired chihuahua...