Join our zoo community

Zoológico de Morelia Yupik, polar bear in controversy

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by carlos77, 28 Sep 2012.

1. carlos77

carlos77 Well-Known Member

There are only 4 polars bears in mexican zoos. All are females. They are at 4 different zoos, Chapultepec, Guadalajara, Leon and Morelia. Yupik is the polar bear at Morelia zoo. She arrived there at the age of 3 months, 20 years ago, an orphan from Alaska. Yupik is the youngest polar bear in Mexico. A strong controversy has arisen about Yupik living in Morelia, a city in central Mexico. Variuos animal rights and anti - zoo groups considered that her living conditions were very inadequate and petioned (also on internet) that yupik be transfered. It was mentioned that animal collection in Ontario would recieve her. It is not clear which one. In the last elections a politician from the mexican green party ( which is a disater)
    also asked for Yupik´s transfer. Even Al Jazeera, the arab broadcasting company did a documentary on Yupik. Morelia zoo directors have insisted that yupik is well taken care of and have added some improvements in Yupik s large enclousure. She is an important attraction at the zoo and has various years ahead of her.
    Last week, after a conference, i was able to visit Morelia zoo and of course went to see Yupik. She was very active, using enrichment barrels, scracthing on logs, and took a quick swim. She had a large covered sandbook. She looked very well with no streotyped movements. It seem to me that her enclousure was actually one of the better ones at this very overcrowded zoo. I am posting my pictures so fellow zoochaters may also
    have their own opinion on the Yupik discussion.

2. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. carlos55

"Michoacán es hogar de 'Yupik' y aquí se queda"
    Yes you read here first. The governor of Michoacan state, where Morelia is located has publicly said that " Yupik has her home in Michoacan and here she will stay". Since the state government runs the zoo, he can legally stop the transfer to the UK. I agree with AZCARM on this. Moving Yupik at her age was too risky.

4. carlos55

When Azcarm asked for support to stop moving Yupik from Morelia zoo because of her health 12000 persons, including me signed a petition to keep her there. The governor of Michoacan was responsive. Why does YWP go with antizoo groups like Zoocheck that distort all the facts. The research proposal that was to support The moving of Yupik was really awfull and had no backing of any scientific institution at all

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

6. carlos55

7. carlos55

Yupik died yesterday at 27 years of age. She will be missed.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Proof of and underlining why a transfer overseas would not (have) be(en) in the interest of the individual animal.

Also 27 years of age is rather a good longevity for a captive polar bear (even some do surpass the 30's marker).

BTW:
    a) I also have some reservations over the title "controversy". Everyone is entitled to their opionion, but I do find it is a tad contrived in my personal perception.
    b) I would like to see some more general zoo news on Morelia Zoo in the relevant thread.