Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Amy_93, 3 Jan 2015.

1. veeboy31

veeboy31 Well-Known Member

Hmm when we went on the 1st January 2015, the keeper said she had expected phase 2 to be completed by now and seemed frustrated that it hadn't already been done. She expected all project polar to be done by the Summer 2015

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Over the last year I have noticed that it can very much depend,on who gives a talk as to what you are told,and different people have a different take on how long things will take.Personally I cannot see it all being done within the next 12 months as they don't need to get it all complete at once,far better to do it a bit at a time and do it well like they have so far!!!

3. veeboy31

Yes I agree. Perhaps the best and only person who will know is Cheryl Williams who owns YWP and can sometimes be seen around the park

4. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm quite sure she'll have discussed it with a couple of other very important people who can also often be seen around the park! Not minding the lemurs, cooking burgers or helping in the shop these days though :)

5. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

It's 4:5 currently

6. OrangePerson

It's two mothers and then 4 young males and 3 young females.

7. veeboy31

Been to Yorkshire Wildlife Park today (18th January 2015)

Keeper gave update on Project Polar

Enclosure 2 - ready for Easter (March 2015)
    Enclosure 3 - Ready Summer 2016
    Enclosure 4 - Ready in 2 years time

8. veeboy31

9. max

max Well-Known Member

With the number of school visits they have, this development is much needed.
    Looks as if the Addax will be re-located, either within the park or onto pastures new, due to the amphitheatre plans. And the aviaries behind the stage will potentially be off show, leaving those in the woods redundant.

10. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

A few developments at Y.W.P. that I have become aware of.

Firstly the Racoon dogs have gone to Kirkley Hall zoological gardens,and wont be returning. I have been assured that the birds from the aviaries will be returning in the spring though.

Secondly the park has taken delivery of a number of Armadillo,and vaguely mentioned one of the banded variety. It sounded like they were quite small so presume it will be the more endangered 3 banded armadillo. They will be taking up residence in the Marmoset enclosure once they have had health checks and acclimatised etc.

Thirdly the Wallaby enclosure "woodland" extention looks to be well on the way (see the gallery section for 3 photos I have posted,taken over the weekend). Looks like it just needs the top-soil spreading then seeding. The new parts have more distinctive walk-ways with handrails to stop encroachment into the wooded area. I am lead to believe that this type of more restrictive walkway will be used throughout the rest of the enclosure also,giving more sanctuary for the wallabies,but allowing them to come to the public if they want to.

No further work carried out on the second Polar bear exhibit I'm afraid. Maybe now the wallabies are nearly sorted they will get on with finishing the bear enclosure. Its very frustrating to see it about 80% finished,where it could have been quite easily done and maturing ready for new occupants. Heyho,i'm sure the park have had their reasons for delaying it.

There was an area of the African plains fenced off at the weekend,i can only assume it was because of the inclement weather and standing water close to the usual feeding area.

Lastly the den and pond area of the African/Painted hunting dogs is greening up nicely. Cant wait for the spring to see them get the run of the whole enclosure and photograph them basking in the sun. They have remarkable markings and blend in so well in the woodland that no end of the public walk straight past mumbling that "I cant see those dogs again,they must be asleep in their house" when they are actually about 40 feet away.:)

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

If small, three-banded is indeed the most likely option; however I personally would rather like it to be nine-banded :p it won't be, though.

12. tw2310

tw2310 Well-Known Member

The armadillos (6 banded) are 2 sisters that arrived from Bristol zoo on 23/1/15. They're living in with the marmosets but were tucked away inside today. Will be great to see them exploring the outside enclosure once it warms up a bit.
    Both of the leopards were in the main enclosure today. They seemed a little uneasy around each other and there was plenty of staring going on from opposite sides of the enclosure, but clearly a good step forward with a view to them breeding.
    Although it wasn't open yet the extension to the wallaby enclosure looks pretty much done. I was really pleased to see the addition of proper paths boxed in by knee high fencing. It's always been a popular enclosure but it bothered me sometimes to see some of the wallabies almost hounded by huge crowds of people around them, i think the new layout will be a welcome relief to some of them.
    The early markings out for the ampitheatre and education centre were evident too, so hopefully it won't be long before they start to take shape. When it's finished i'm sure it'll be a great addition to the park.
    Overall looks like being another exciting year with some good developments.

13. thezootoday

thezootoday Active Member

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wherever it is in the park, i'm quite sure it will be done well, good to hear of another holder for these fantastic animals.

15. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

They'll be in the South America area no doubt?

16. Big Rob

A few bits of news gleaned from a quick 2 hour visit yesterday.

The cordoned off area in the corner of The African plains enclosure has now been permanently fenced off. It is marked out ready for another childrens play area.....:mad:

There is still no definite word on the proposed Giant otter enclosure,but will probably at the end of the current South American viva exhibit if it does happen. I hope this is the case as I have stated before that these are an excellent animal to have,in my opinion. Very vocal,nearly always on the go and fits in well along side the other S.American stuff close by. I hope they can utilise some of the banking that's the edge of the polar bear exhibit and put a waterfall and river running through the exhibit. Fingers crossed on this one.

The second enclosure in project polar is still on hold, so they have cracked on with landscaping and excavation on the 3rd enclosure instead. The lake is much smaller,at the moment,than the first one. It is only 6m deep but isn't completely finished yet.I was talking to a keeper and we are both hoping that they do lots more to it as it looks pretty featureless and dull at the moment. I'm sure they will come good in the end.
    http://www.zoochat.com/1070/3rd-polar-bear-enclosure-21-2-a-402167/
    http://www.zoochat.com/1070/3rd-polar-bear-enclosure-21-2-a-402167/
    More work has started on the education centre,with trees being felled and excavation taken place.

I finally saw one of the 6 banded armadillos in the indoor bit of the marmoset exhibit.
    http://www.zoochat.com/1070/6-banded-armadillo-21-2-15-a-402169/

Some bad news to report on the Hunting dogs i'm afraid. They are down to 3 females as one passed away a few weeks ago to medical compliactions..Apparently she was diabetic amongst other things and didn't respond to treatment. Male dogs will be added after the whole enclosure has been opened up,probably soon after Easter, to bolster the pack and then hopefully once the hierarchy has become established they will breed.:)

For some reason there were no lions in one of the 3 enclosures,but couldn't find a keeper to ask the reason for this.

One of the Zebras is still segregated from the rest of the Plains animals as he had a fight with another zebra,became lame and is undergoing treatment. He is hoping to be back in with the rest soon.

Apparently the leapords have mated,who knows wether successfully or not,and were back to being in separate enclosures again.

Finally,the wallaby enclosure is now back open to the public. Lots of the females have a pouch full of joey,and they look a lot more relaxed now they have more safe zones away from over zealous little people. I did ask one of the ever helpful keepers how it was going,and she surprised me by saying that since the enclosure had been closed that everytime anyone went in there to feed or clear up that the wallabys would come over seeking attention. So maybe they weren't really that bothered by all the kids after all.:)

Sorry for waffling,but I like to keep people updated on this exciting and fast developing wildlife park.:eek:

Last edited: 24 Feb 2015
  17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would think the Wallabies were able to distinguish between quiet, slow moving adults who look after them, and excited, noisy children trying to touch or get near them. Its good if their wallabies now have proper retreat space where they can stay away from such unwanted attention.

Its often not realised widely just how stressful some animals can find people, and particularly small children, who don't know how to behave round them. I've even seen domestic lambs hiding behind straw bales to avoid yet more constant petting and handling by over-eager children. We've all heard of those 'vicious' rabbits and hamsters which don't want to be picked up- the poor creatures are just trying to repel yet more rough or unwanted handling when they turn 'nasty' like that.:(

18. Big Rob

Even now there is a low barrier/fence round every walk-way I saw one little lad manage to climb over it and make a dash for the wallabies. His dad wasn't best pleased but there was no harm done. The keeper said it has made their job much easier by not having to watch like a hawk that the wallabies don't get singled out and over fussed and chased all over.
    Some of the behaviour of more grown up kids in the 5-11 year old age group sometimes leaves me speechless,but the parents don't seem to bat an eye-lid.Some even encourage them to see how loud they can roar at the poor lions to wake them up,or see how far they can throw stones into the as yet unfinished polar bear enclosure to name but a few. I usually make a remark to my other half about the behaviour of said child AND parent not restraining or disciplining them just loud enough that they will hear. I don't know if they take any notice but it gets it off my chest. And at 6'5" I don't usually have to worry about parents getting upset that I call little Johny and his dad a few choice words.;)

19. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anybody know anything or have any links to information on the proposed orangutans or giant otters?

20. OrangePerson

I'm afraid the orangutans are just in my dreams at the moment although they were on the long-term collection plan - which I don't think included polar bears or giant otters so who knows when/if we'll get apes!