Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Amy_93, 3 Jan 2015.

1. max

max Well-Known Member

New 2015 summer visitors guide is available to view on YWP Facebook page. Includes a new map featuring giant otters "coming soon" - located north of the south American walk through.
    New play area ( corner of African enclosure) and education centre also on map. Addax no longer feature.

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't think the Addax were on the last one, either. Nice to see the armadillos getting a mention!

3. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to Zootierliste, they now house Blackbuck and the Yellow Mongoose have gone, does any one know about this?

4. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Well I was there on Saturday afternoon and the yellow mongoose were definitely still there,and didn't see any Blackbuck.
    The Addax are also still there,but they aren't in the best of enclosures and spend a lot of time in there "house" so might go un-noticed. I don't know why they aren't on the map anymore,i guess they may be leaving shortly.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I suspect this matter may well be tied into an ongoing issue on the Zootierliste UK listings..... some idiot with editor-access keeps deleting species from UK collections if they are not explicitly mentioned on the collection website or map :p I've raised the issue with the administrators, but it still happens from time to time.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

surely the edits can be tracked by the admins to know who is making the edits, and they can either be spoken to or have their editing-capabilities removed?

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

So I believe :)

8. Macaw16

I want to know which idiot added the mammals logo to one of the species (sorry I can't remember which species).

9. Macaw16

Mongoose are mentioned on the map even :mad:

10. max

max Well-Known Member

Birds of prey are back in the woodland aviaries.
    Framework up for the new education centre.
    Area between anteaters and entrance to woodland play area cordoned off -this is the area for the giant otters, but being utilised by contractors working on the new toilet block at present.
    Next polar bear enclosure being planted out with what looks like heather. Working on cave today -giving it that natural rock effect -which will be closer to walk way than Victor's.

11. veeboy31

veeboy31 Well-Known Member

any pictures?? thanks

12. Macaw16

I know it may seem weird as this is my question, where will the new toilets be?

13. max

max Well-Known Member

veeboy31: 3 photo's of Polar bear enclosure uploaded in gallery. Not too detailed I'm afraid, but certainly shows the work been done over last few weeks.

Macaw16: Replacement toilet block rather than new (my mistake) they're opposite the South American café, just along from the camels/African plains junction.

14. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The 2nd (winner takes all) polar bear enclosure!

(Sweep panorama on phone so distorted)

Attached Files:

Last edited: 22 Mar 2015
  15. ajdavisuk

ajdavisuk Member

Looks enormous, is it actually bigger or is it an illusion? When I last spoke to a keeper at YWP they mentioned 2 brothers from a zoo in the Netherlands, perhaps they'll live there together?

16. OrangePerson

Sorry, it's a sweep panorama on my phone so has distorted it somewhat.

I asked yesterday and the brothers are still talked of but no other info has been revealed at present.

17. veeboy31

I think the brother polar bears are currently at Hannover Zoo, Germany. Hope if they finish enclosures 2 & 3 then there will be lots of space for all three bears to rotate around

Think they are called Sprinter and Nanuq. I might be wrong??

18. veeboy31

YWP installing new roads leading upto the park

Pictures on twitter
    Galebest Ltd ‏@GalebestLtd · 1 hr1 hour ago
    New roads being put in @YorkshireWP #planthire #contractors #socialsheffield #sheffield #yorkshire

19. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Well the African hunting/painted dogs have finally been allowed into the area with the pond and dens/caves. There was a small amount of zoo management,keepers and a chap from the African painted dog conservation trust (or some similar name) and camera crew/press there. The dogs definitely lived up to the day and made the most of their new enclosure. They were pretty apprehensive at first,understandably so especially with the high winds today,but were soon running around and even jumping into and swimming across the pond.

http://www.zoochat.com/1070/who-let-dogs-out-adam-actually-405366/
    http://www.zoochat.com/1070/african-hunting-dogs-exploring-their-new-405367/
    http://www.zoochat.com/1070/african-hunting-dogs-exploring-dens-31-a-405368/
    http://www.zoochat.com/1070/hunting-dogs-full-flight-31-3-a-405369/
    http://www.zoochat.com/1070/african-hunting-dogs-leaping-through-trees-405370/
    http://www.zoochat.com/1070/play-fighting-hunting-dogs-31-3-a-405371/

I spoke to the park manager and asked about the Giant otters,and he assured me that construction would start very soon (presumably when the 3rd Polar bear enclosure is finished and after the easter holidays) and there would be a large interesting lake and a large indoor accommodation area complete with indoor pool. He disappointed me by saying there would be no waterfall as he felt they were a bit old hat and very expensive. Such a pity as the area is bordered by the large banking of Project polar and would have looked great. Heyho,you cant have everything.
    The woodland area of the park was closed off today because of risk of falling branches and trees,so the Lemurs and Red river hogs were off show all day and the Adventure playground was closed too.

The new "roadways leading upto the park" appear to be just access roads in the over-flow carparks. The main access road is perfectly adequate and the carparks are getting better all the time.

20. OrangePerson

Well today appeared to be record visitor numbers, we were in the overflow to the overflow to the overflow car park. Poeple are complaining on Facebook that it took them 2 hrs to get out of the car park. Good job they'd all got away when I left.

New young camel out today.

Humbug the ring tailed lemur has had another set of twins, the poor thing must think "Am I the ONLY one round here who does any breeding"

Victor was off-show because he slipped and hurt himself yesterday and was resting. Pixel was busy when we got there at one point chasing up the enclosure after a digger/truck thing but then was asleep later because he'd missed his siesta.

I only realised today that only two out of three of the lionesses (Johnny Junior's daughters) are ever out at the same time. Apparently any combination of two can be together but if all three are then there's trouble.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2015