Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Amy_93, 3 Jan 2015.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yorkshire Wildlife Park on course for record breaking year

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sadly the leopard cubs are now down to two following the death of the 3rd cub on Wednesday. Statement issued by the park:

It is with great sadness that YWP announces that one of the three leopard cubs born in June has died. The young male leopard was found in the house on Wednesday and a post mortem will be carried out. The rangers who look after the leopards are devastated at the loss

3. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just seen on Facebook that Khan the breeding male camel has swapped places with Baxter at Flamingo Land. (He was one of those attention seeking types and wanted a chance at winning "Yorkshire's Most Magnificent Attraction" again.)

4. Olimbai

Olimbai New Member

Giant otters arrived yesterday (unless I misheard) and are spending their time running around the outside of the lake and exploring every corner of their exhibit.

The viewing area isn't accessible yet so none of my photos are too good, but there's one below:

http://i.imgur.com/KkAau6m.jpg

5. max

max Well-Known Member

It's a better picture than any I could get today. Looking forward to when the viewing area open.
    Both otters (2 females) were out exploring their enclosure this morning, including frequent swims.

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They arrived just under 2 weeks ago,when RSCC had to send them away due to them having to close by a certain date!

7. ajdavisuk

ajdavisuk Member

8. veeboy31

veeboy31 Well-Known Member

Visited today (18th Oct 2015)
    Nissan settling into the new enclosure away from Victor and Pixel
    Keeper said when Nissan is settled in he will be mixed with Victor and Pixel but only one of them at a time. (Not going to put all three together)

The keeper said the gas pipe planning permission was passed and so expected progress on the other enclosures after the otter enclosure competed.

The otter enclosure looks ready just waiting for grass to grow. No otters could be seen.

9. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

The 2 female giant otters were out in yesterdays autumn sunshine exploring their new enclosure. The groundsman was busy planting round the public walkways and the walkway fencing was being finished.The indoor viewing area with rockwork and pool was being given a lick of paint round the walls too.I would think the area will be fully open for the weekend.

Nissan was out making use of his lake and exploring his enclosure. He was eating a lot of grass and clover,which I suppose is a new experience having grown up in a concrete pen in Moscow (from what I hear. I stand to be corrected)

The payment booths were getting a new paint job,which is surprising as they are all pretty new.

Photos added of Nissan and the otters on the YWP gallery.:D

10. thezootoday

thezootoday Active Member

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Like buses :D you wait 13 years for a new UK holder of Black Rhino and then three come along in one year... Good luck to YWP on this latest project

12. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well of course no collection can keep more than 1 species of Rhino:rolleyes:,so expect to see them have a second within the next 5-10 years;)

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would not be surprised. All the omens for a continuously growing captive population of GOH rhinos is more than likely. I am sure YWP has not changed its original plans, just added upon for ... a hopefully total African experience and sundry (when Asian and South American areas become even more robust).

15. ajdavisuk

ajdavisuk Member

Can't find any detailed plans atm. I guess they haven't been submitted yet?

Very exciting news though, looking forward to seeing the results. I must say it really is exciting to have such a rapidly expanding Park so close to home

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Quite remarkable, isn't it...?:D

17. veeboy31

From looking at all the plans there are doing 3 things.

1 - moving the camels behind the current giraffe house
    2 - moving the giraffe house next to the leopard/tiger enclosure at the other side
    3 - creating the rhino reserve where the zebra are currently kept

I hope they finish project polar first

18. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

It looks like it will also have the effect of taking the back leopard enclosure offshow as well. Plans look decent, though - and will create a quite big continuous 'African' area all the way from the giraffe house to the African Wild Dogs, with only the rather confused waterfowl paddock interrupting. I do agree with them that the African Plains paddock doesn't really look up to their landscaping standard these days.

The design statement seems to imply the giraffe house will stay in use and the new housing for the zebra/antelope/Ankole will just have a daytime shelter built in (the interior of the new building does not appear to be tall enough in any case, and this would mean the giraffes could take shelter during any brief spells of bad weather without having to be taken all the way in).

Slightly bemused that they don't think rhinos are a 'flagship species', though - they seem to retain that status for carnivores (they have form in this area - the sequence of guide covers from the second onwards always uses the biggest new arrival of the year, except for the year the biggest arrivals were an ungulate - giraffes - when we got a second lion cover).

19. veeboy31

20. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

still no orangs ;)