Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by claret, 22 Jan 2016.

1. claret

claret New Member

black rhino reserve including hoof stock enclosure

looks like the council have given permission for the Formation of African reserve and black rhino reserve cant wait

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Could have sworn that was a trio of gerenuk in the first illustration!!!!!

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zooming in, I think they are supposed to be Kudu (albeit not very well drawn ones)

Be nice if they did add Gerenuk though..

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the article mentions lechwe, so I would guess at the illustration being a representation of those.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would think so too, although the illustration is admittedly a bit awkward tendentious towards kudu ..

The entire design plan and spacing and pathways for the very diverse savannah look very promising. Admittedly, it is very welcome that new holders are forthcoming as the population in Europe is expanding …

Time for another visit. There have been some fine developments in the last few years!

7. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The lechwe are like rabbits at YWP! Can't keep them down! :)

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Was there mention of a new antelope species, rather than the existing stock?

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that has just come from this discussion? I imagine they will just rehouse the Lechwe herd in the new exhibit first, before deciding if there is room for another additional species.

10. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to Munich Zoo's website , their young male polar bear Nobby , born December 2013 , is due to be moved to YWP this month .

11. veeboy31

veeboy31 Well-Known Member

Awesome news!!

I really hope they finish the next two enclosures at project polar before they begin building/landscaping for the rhinos. They shouldn't leave project polar half like a building site!

12. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Too late i'm afraid.I was there on Sunday and they had already started on a building in the old Camel enclosure. I assume it will be the Rhino accommodation. The camel enclosure has been halved in size so the construction can start. The African plains has also ben fenced off at about half its original size and markers have been placed at an angle where the new walkway will bisect the enclosure. The Zebras have been moved to a field along side the access road and can be seen when entering the wildlife park. The new walkway along the as yet unfinished new camel enclosure can be seen through the woodland behind the Giraffe housing block.

I too am gutted they haven't finished at least 1 more Polar bear enclosure before they start on the Rhino exhibit as it is probably 70-80% finished,but if they have a deadline to hit where they have to have Rhinos by a certain date to fit in with the current holders then I suppose that takes priority.:(
    I have heard rumours about a Red Panda exhibit but haven't been able to verify that one. I was also lead to believe that a male Hunting dog had arrived,but the keeper I saw said it was news to her!! I didn't see one anyway.:rolleyes:
    Drake,the male Amur Leopard ,couldn't be seen in the main enclosure,and the cubs and Freya kept them selves in the quieter rear one.:)

13. tw2310

tw2310 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE I have heard rumours about a Red Panda exhibit but haven't been able to verify that one.QUOTE]

There were details of a red panda enclosure included in one of the old planning applications (either the leopard or giraffe plans if i remember correctly). One of the planning maps showed it to be located around the large tree between the leopard enclosure and the current African plains area. Most of that space has become a picnic area since then. I don't think it was ever mentioned in any great written detail within the plans, but was clearly detailed on one of the maps. It'd be a great addition if it were to happen.

14. tw2310

tw2310 Well-Known Member

15. ajdavisuk

ajdavisuk Member

YWP have a countdown on their instagram page that will reach zero at 9am today teasing a big announcement, probably another polar bear but worth keeping an eye on.

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Might that not be the rhinos & Co. arriving? :)

17. Kaza

Kaza New Member

Nobby has arrived

18. Gary D

Gary D Active Member

And is already in with Nissan, swimming and wrestling :)

19. Kaza

Kaza New Member

Great for Nissan to have a playmate

20. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

I had better get my skates on tomorrow and get some photos on here quick sharp. Then again, if I take photos of some diggers in a field it will get more views ;)

God I'm dreading being near the bears now,can't wait for the first thousand screams of "NOBBY,WHERES NOBBY!!" from the assorted sniggering kids. I wish they could re-name 3 out of the 4 polar bears to something more fitting.:eek: