Join our zoo community

Yorkshire Wildlife Park Yorkshire Wildlife Park News 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by claret, 22 Jan 2016.

1. veeboy31

veeboy31 Well-Known Member

Any picture updates...rhino enclosure, project polar??

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The park will receive a 2yr old pair of black rhino from Zoo Berlin in October

3. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Duerener1

Duerener1 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. kiang

6. veeboy31

Been today (24.10.16) Rhino doors are open but the rhinos are too shy/timid to venture out into the outside paddocks.

Lots of construction at project polar. Finishing fencing, planting the enclosure up, finished cave. Think they are waiting for more rock to finish the surrounds of the lake.

7. veeboy31

8. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited yesterday, for the first time, as I was in the area, on a VERY busy halloween inspired themed day.
    On entry I thought I was at a theme park, with the piped music, theatricals and fun-fair food on offer! I may be spoilt from visiting Paignton!!
    However, once I passed the chaos and madness I could see how this place would be great with less people around. The Baboon exhibit was fine, the Hunting Dog enclosure sound but Project Polar blew me away! WOW!! Kudos to the Park here. Four bears, all active and engaged and it did actually resemble Arctic Tundra from some angles. I could see the nearly finished paddock 3 and its potential and how the fourth 'quarter' will complete an excellent exhibit.
    Other highlights were the Grevy's Zebra, the Giant Otters (very active - wish Paignton could hold this species), Lion Country and the Wetland area lookout.
    I will visit again mid-week in term time and appreciate all it has to offer. I read somewhere about plans to add Indian Rhino to the wetland areas? That would be quite something!

9. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I tend to avoid visiting when the kids are on holiday as this has quickly become the areas top attraction and so it can be very busy, especially in the walk-through's.

I think that the wetlands area, at least closest to project polar will be one of the next areas to receive a bit of care as they look to encourage people to follow the loop. I seriously doubt it will be Indian Rhino anytime soon though. In fact it's really difficult to say what YWP will do next as they seem to quickly develop for whatever is available.

10. thezootoday

thezootoday Active Member

It looks like the next new species will be okapi if planning applications are to go by.

mazfc likes this.
  11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

So it would (surprisingly!) seem! In the area between the old camel area and the Sitatunga paddock, apparently.

(it's case ref 16/02539/FUL on https://planning.doncaster.gov.uk )

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not going to complain about the intended development, given how much I like the species.

13. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Really? That's great. Where did you here this?

14. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well it seems I got the area to be developed right anyway. I'm not sure YWP still hold sitatunga? I certainly didn't see them on my last few visits but I could be wrong. And from the way I understand the plans it seems the okapi will have that paddock as well. With their new enclosure stretching down to the wetlands and having the same wooden walkway as the tigers only offering limited views onto the water.

The plans also show that they are building a new bigger lemur house finally.

15. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I know of another Zoo getting Okapis in the future too. They are a lovely species and I cant wait to see more of them!

16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well YWP are the only collection in the near future that will be getting Okapi,any others in the UK either didn't respond,fail to get a proposal for the design of the enclosure,or were rejected by the studbook when they requested a proposal of what the collections planned on doing to house them if they were excepted by the studbook,as a result any other places will now have to wait about 3-5 years for the next chance to be able to try again to get the species!

17. kiang

Anyone got any photos of the new rhino house/enclosure?

18. 73SLMK

73SLMK Active Member

So sad to hear of the passing of Danni, twin brother of Simba. YWP confirmed that he had increasing neurological issues which resulted in them making the extremely difficult decision to put him to sleep. RIP Danni, I am sure Simba will be very sad for some time as they were very close brothers.

19. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

Do we have any idea if/when the rhinos will be in display? I was considering stopping by for a quick visit at some point this week.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They've been allowed outside access for several weeks but so far, Hodari is too nervous to go out and Dayo will only come out for few seconds before going back indoors

giant_anteater likes this.