Join our zoo community

Zagreb Zoo Zagreb zoo visit

Discussion in 'Croatia' started by Shirokuma, 20 Oct 2013.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I'm going to Zagreb at the end of this month. Any thoughts on how long is needed for the zoo or anything in particular to look out for? It will be a fairly rushed visit as I am only in Zagreb for a day trip from Ljubljana and want to see the city too.

2. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would say 2 hours should give you sufficient time. I liked a lot the native snake part on the first floor of the marmoset and parrot night enclosures. I would also recommend the nocturnal house which had 2 galago-species, springhaas and some cuscus among others, when I was there. It is a nice zoo and you can see the improvements of the last couple of years.

3. Shirokuma

Thanks that's good and I can be a fairly speedy visitor. I'll post a review and pictures when I get back.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Birds of prey area!

BTW: is the zoo not to be re-sited?

5. carlos77

carlos77 Well-Known Member

It will be nice to see pictures from the zagreb zoo, which i visited several years ago when they even had elephants ( an asian and an african). It was a zoo in transition then. The bird collection was nice and i remember a tropical house with a very nice nocturnal section.
    Two to three hours is enough. The good part is that the zoo is in the central park of the city and very accesible. You maybe interested to know that various croatian castles near Zagreb have been locations for the "Game of Thrones" tv series. I canĀ“t remember which ones now.

6. Shirokuma

Actually I decided to stick to Slovenia for this trip and leave Zagreb for another time but thank you for the comments.

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member