Join our zoo community

Zanzibar Leopard caught on camera

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - General' started by Crowthorne, 9 Jun 2018.

1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is pretty much unexpected, that a large cat can hide for so long on a densely populated island (though it is full of inpenetrable scrubland where they could hide). The guides in the National Park on Zanzibar last year said the Leopard still existed there, but as guides are known to make some pretty wild claims I thought none of it. I wouldn't be surprised if some local people still see one from time to time...

Crowthorne likes this.
  3. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I guess it's a good news.

4. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The guys reaction was priceless! Also, what a fantastic find. It’s truly amazing that an animal of this size went missing for 25 years, but it’s good to see that their alive.

5. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Now that they have photographic evidence of the leopard's continued existence, I wonder if it will attract any attention from the Tanzanian government or from conservation NGOs. Even if they are surviving on the island, they are probably still at risk for extinction.

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Maybe this means we can eventually get a less horrific photograph illustrating the subspecies on the Wikipedia page :p

Brum likes this.
  7. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why are there so few news outlets covering this? The response seems very subdued for what appears to be fairly conclusive evidence that an extinct large mammal still survives.