Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo zebras

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by nicola08, 4 Jul 2009.

1. ZooGirl101

ZooGirl101 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know when Monty was born?

2. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

Any one heard of a zebra called Monty and I am trying to find out who the old breeding male from hamilton zoo could have been who fathered the foals from 1997 - 2003 any ideas thx.

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Monty was born in 1997 to a male I think was called Shane. Shane would have been the breeding male to the early 2000s.

4. Animalgeek

Thank you so so so so mutch Jay!!! I have been lokking for this almost every where where was monty born hamilton zoo and is Shane well was shane the breeding male at hamilton in the early 2000's

5. Animalgeek

Hey i just found that Shane cant be his father as he was born in 2001 at hamilton i found this artical stating that a male called Magnum and Shane moved to the farm in Taupo in 2003 so we solved that mystery but the question is still there when where and who was monty born/to?

Heres the link tot he story -http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&ved=0CDYQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nzherald.co.nz%2Fnz%2Fnews%2Farticle.cfm%3Fc_id%3D1%26objectid%3D3506660&ei=MA8jUezNKrGSiAf3vYGgDw&usg=AFQjCNH0XjZ65IVIySkxQH53fb8aFIMTBg&sig2=njVxqEHWwhmV1iU21dBlQg

6. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So Auckland Zoo’s current herd are:

Carlo (stallion born 2007) Monty x Itika at Auckland Zoo
    Itika (mare born 1992)
    Layla (mare born 2011) Bwana x Marble at Hamilton Zoo
    Dalila (mare born 2013) Bwana x Mirabai at Hamilton Zoo
    Unnamed (foal born 2018) Carlo x Layla at Auckland Zoo

Does anyone know what happened to the previous two females that were at Auckland up until a few years ago (I can’t find their names for love nor money but they arrived 2010 from Hamilton Zoo). They were in a herd with Machano and Itika. Obviously Machano was swapped out for the new/returning stallion, Carlo, but why did the two females get replaced with Layla and Dalila from Hamilton?

Last edited: 6 Jan 2019
    Jambo likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

If I’d bothered to read Post #9 of this thread I would have known the two females were Nyah (born 2008 at Hamilton Zoo) and Lindiwe (born 2009 at Hamilton Zoo to Bwana and Mimi). These two fillies joined stallion Machano; mares Shiloh (died 2012) and Itika; and foal Unyazi (Machano x Itika).

Nyah and Lindiwe appear to have died/been transferred by late 2012. They were not mentioned in a Zoo Alive edition (2012/2013) which mentioned the recent export of Machano to Keystone; the return of Carlo (from Keystone) and the import of female, Shamwari, from Werribee Open Range Zoo. No idea on what happened to Shamwari either....

Last edited: 6 Jan 2019
  8. Zoofan15

Yes, this is the same Maria @ZooGirl101. She was born at Auckland Zoo in 1987 and transferred to Hamilton Zoo (most likely in the early 1990s). There was a female named Mimi born 1992 at Hamilton Zoo, who I’m guessing was Maria’s daughter. Maria was still at Hamilton Zoo in late 2003, when her daughter Marble was born. Maria was later transferred to Franklin Zoo; before moving to Orana Wildlife Park in 2012.

There was a female named Molly born at Auckland Zoo in 1990 (later sent to Wellington Zoo). It is almost certain she and Maria (born three years earlier) share a mother as it was Auckland Zoo’s tradition throughout this time period to name animals born at the Zoo with names starting with the same initial as their mother’s name.

Two other zebras mentioned in this thread are Sheena (born 1979) and her daughter, Shiloh (born 1992). We can conclude that Sheena was not the mother of Maria and Molly (because Maria and Molly don’t have names starting with ‘S’). I don’t know how big Auckland Zoo’s herd was throughout the 1970s to 1990s, does anyone know? Assuming it wasn’t huge, I’d guess Sheena was born in 1979 (before the naming convention kicked in) to a female whose name began with M (who later gave birth to Maria and Molly). Again, can anyone confirm?

Jambo likes this.
  9. Zoofan15

Auckland Zoo - Grant’s Zebra

I’ve recently come across some information on the founders of Auckland Zoo’s Grant’s zebra herd.

The first Grant’s zebra was a mare called Dot. She was born at Chester Zoo and arrived at Auckland Zoo in 02/08/1963. Dot was pregnant on arrival and delivered a colt named Dasher 16/02/1964, noted to be the first zebra foal born in New Zealand.

Dot gave birth again 10/11/1965 to a second colt, sired by a Grant’s stallion named Shiner. Shiner was also imported from Chester Zoo, following Dot’s import.

Dot gave birth to her third foal 06/01/1967. The filly was the first female of her species to be born at the zoo. The zoo was noted to have 3.2 zebras following her birth, which were presumably the five mentioned here.

Patrick Keegan likes this.