Join our zoo community

Zion Wildlife Gardens Zion Wildlife Gardens in Recievership

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 26 Jul 2011.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Zion park placed in receivership - national | Stuff.co.nz

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

gosh I wonder what his statement will say..... :rolleyes:

3. Chlidonias

I'm rather surprised there hasn't been more on this yet. I've tried googling and basically all that's out there is the original article and a slightly updated one (and of course the rabid outpourings from the Saint Craig worshippers).

4. Chlidonias

hmm, just after I wrote the above I see this article:
    Lion Man could buy back Zion - Local News - Northland Northern Advocate
    I'm not sure I can really give much credence to the various comments by Craig's spokeswoman Jill Albrow

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

what a complicated mess!

Do they have any pure tigers here, or are they all generic crosses?

6. Chlidonias

a lot of the problems there really are solely due to the back-and-forth fighting between Craig and Patricia, the monetary one in particular is partly due to the costs of the court cases between the two. As for the tigers they are all "Bengal" (read generic) and white tigers. The other cats there are "Barbary" lions, white lions, I think some generic lions as well, two cheetahs, two servals and a black leopard.

The following item just appeared this morning (NZ time). What a joke.
    'Lion Man' has new plans for Zion - national | Stuff.co.nz

7. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

Zion plans

Sorry, Not buying any of that. Craig should just take his sheepish followers money and disappear.

8. Chlidonias

Receivership spurs concern for Zion's cats | Stuff.co.nz

9. Chlidonias

Zion Wildlife Gardens locks receivers out - Local News - Northland Northern Advocate

10. Chlidonias

Receivers locked out of Zion | Stuff.co.nz

11. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

What a debacle! Mrs Busch sounds like a bit of a ratbag, and what a ridiculous statement to make about receivers running into cat cages - they're most likely NOT Lionman zealots, and should have some common sense. I imagine their focus will be on the books and not playing with the cats.

Hix

12. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Both parties - Patricia and Craig seem to be similar in personalities. Although it seems Patricia takes things one step to far every time.

It seems in all of this no one remembers the animals. Very sad.

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What a weird set-up. All those legal wrangles over somewhere that keeps a load of impure and colour morph Tigers and Lions, appears not to have any genetically pure cats and yet manifests desires to breed more of them. I wonder what they see as the ultimate aim of this-I can't see the point of any of it myself..:confused:

Last edited: 16 Aug 2011
  14. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

The sooner Pat Busch and her daughter are pulled out of there the better. They have had some great staff, and some fantastic advisors, but they refuse to listen to them.

The best thing for that place would be to kick the Buschs well clear of it and set up a trust to run it. And do away with the stupid idea of conservation and breeding of freakish cats, the breeding of while lions and tigers is not conservation any more than breeding two headed kiwis is.

Craig's idea of forming the place into a sort of open reserve is nice, but impractical. I seriously doubt MAF would license any sort of big car enclosure that allowed the public entry. Orana closed down there big cat drive through years ago because of safety concerns, I can't see another one being allowed to operate.

The best option for the park would be to lower the entry price, encourage local contributions and participation, and keep it as a sort of retirement place for the cats, most of which have been declawed, to live out their lives in comfort.

And definitely stop any more breeding, they are over crowded as it is.

Although the cats themselves seem to be following that polciy, the last time they tried to breed more white tigers the male killed the female.

And their cheetah breeding project is a joke, which is a good thing as they dont need more cats of any sort.

15. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

Im surprised there hasn't been more mention on this, when the subject came up some time back there were a few defenders of the park.
    But the trend is for those who work the hardest and support the park the strongest to get ***** on by the park managment and cast aside, so it could be that has happened to the recent batch of fans.

It would be sad to contemplate the almost inevitable fate of these cats, but it is a sad fact they are inbred freaks of nature that should never have been born, and further mutilated by declawing. And if that wasnt enough they are confined to small bare enclosured with no enrichment or diversity, despite what several dedicated followers have said.

the best thing that could ever happen is for the Busch clan to be given the boot right out of there, the whole place turned over to a trust, and advantage taken of the many offiers of assistence and help that have been made over the years but have been turned down because the pair of weirdos who run the place are so paranoid.

16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. paks

paks New Member

whole thing is a total joke. many fans raised much money for the return of the hero to his babies. instead they use funds raised on a pathetic bancruptsy case against his mother. the man is serial con artist. Does anyone know the name of the park in Kerikeri where CB 1st conned a widow out of everything she owned including her big cats. Time this man was exposed for what he really is. At this time CB is in Africa where it is rumoured to be buying land while also "an offer" has been put in. Also CB's 5 previous convictions before he knocked 7 bells out of the late Karen. Where was he in 1991 for the other assault charge. This man is a liar & a cheat using his fame to gain funds. a fame that he is not entitled too. the man is only interested in hanging his mother out to dry. not the cats of Zion.

18. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

What is likely to happen to the animals at the park?? Could they be moved to other collections with N.Zealand or could they go abroad to the UK or USA??

19. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

There is a good chance that the park will not be closed and a buyer found, hence the animals will just stay at the park (hopefully in upgraded enclosures).

However, if the park was closed and animal collection dispersed, the cheetahs alone could probably easily find homes in NZ (as they are South African imports and could be integrated into the species breeding programme). I don't know much about the history of the servals (except they came from New Plymouth - presumably Pouakai?), but they too could be rehomed in NZ (may still belong to Pouakai?). Some of the lions and tigers, and the elderly baboon (if still alive?) could potentially go to Franklin or Pouakai (who already have some of Zion's tigers) zoos in NZ. More lions and tigers, and the black leopard, might find homes at private zoos in Australia, but not all of them.

After considering these local zoos, remaining animals could be sent to the UK or USA, or even that lion park in Bali. Some did come from the UK, e.g. the black leopard, (and maybe USA?) originally. The other animals at the park (deer and ostrich) would be sold to local farms most probably.

20. Chlidonias

the baboon died a couple of months ago