Join our zoo community

Noah's Ark Zoo Farm Zoo admits connection with circus

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Peter Dickinson, 19 Oct 2009.

1. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

Sorry if I am overlapping a thread here somehow. I searched but could not find the link: Zoo admits connection with circus

I just thought I would mention...though I could not see the name mentioned would lead ....circus.....Martin Lacey.....ex curator Sherwood Zoo....ex owner Sherwood Zoo....ex animal/zoo expert Magpie TV programme...plus connections to other zoos and nests of worms

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

3. Peter Dickinson

Okay...sorry about that. It was a bit hidden away. Deserves a separate thread as there cannot be too many UK zoos dealing with circuses these days. I wonder what Born Free thinks.

4. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I cannot see the problem with Zoo's and Circuses dealing with each other, if both are permitted by the gov to hold the species, whats to stop them trading them!

5. Peter Dickinson

Sorry ZYBen if you cannot see what is wrong.

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

No worries!

@ ZYBen - I'm much more concerned by the fact that they have been concealing this from Biaza (I'm not sure what Biaza's stance is on circuses but I suspect they would not approve). I must admit to hoping that this gets the place kicked out of the organisation.

7. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

If a circus has been approved by the appropriatte authority to hold the species, they must have adequate facilities and expertise to keep them.

8. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I cannot believe that BIAZA does not know about this. I thought the Noah's Ark/Martin Lacey connection was common knowledge - certainly no secret.

BIAZA's stance is that it does "not recommend" dealing with circuses. However there are senior representatives of BIAZA who have dealt with Mr.Lacey in the recent past so I can't imagine that the "investigation" will come to much. What is there to investigate after all? Mismanagement of animals at Noah's Ark, a far bigger matter as far as this collection is concerned, should be considered a separate issue from the fact that they deal with Martin Lacey.

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The program mentioned in the link is on channel 986 for those with a Sky Box. It will be on I-player at some point this week as well.

10. zebedee101

zebedee101 Well-Known Member

Why would what Born Free think, an anti zoo, anti circus charity, have any credence?

11. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Haven't Noahs ark, stated in the past that they would like to bring in elephants too, wonder where they would come from too.

12. camel leopard

camel leopard Well-Known Member

Hmm maybe they would try and cross asian and african lol

13. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Historically, zoos and circuses have always transacted with each other. In fact some zoos would not exist today had they not got their start from the generosity of circus people.

The swapping of animals between the two types of exhibitors can be good for the businesses and good for the animals involved.

I am in no position to pass judgement on the standards of NAZF or the GBC [although I have visited both] as animal carers but, as a position statement, I would say that it is legally and morally defensible for any licensed animal facility to transact with another.

14. Steve Robinson

Indeed, why would anyone care what a revenue raising charity for out of work actors have to say on any subject?

15. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Well-Known Member

I have just watched Points West on Channel 986 that BIAZA are investigating Noah's Ark. Unbelievably, the owner, Anthony Bush is really arrogant and has no such sympathy for animals. Wild animals are still moved from location to location, repeatedly loaded and unloaded, cramped into beastwagons or chained within trucks and trained to perform demeaning stunts. Encouragingly the popularity of circuses with animals is in decline as the public seek other forms of entertainment.

I feel strongly Noah's Ark should be expelled from the BIAZA.

CAPS expose zoo breeding tigers for circus owner

16. Gentle Giant

AN ANIMAL rights group has begun a campaign against Noah's Ark Zoo Farm after an undercover investigator accused the zoo of breeding tigers and camels for a circus.

The Western Animal Rights Network begins a series of pickets outside the Wraxall attraction today to mark the start of a campaign aimed at closing it down.

The group is a coalition of animal rights activists based in the west of the UK and they intend to hold protests asking people to boycott the zoo and to ask those who advertise the attraction to stop doing so.

They will also contact schools in the area to discourage them from taking pupils to the farm.

17. Steve Robinson

Must be too cold to hug trees in the winter in the UK?

This should give them something to do instead.

18. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

This issue was apparently featured on a program called inside out west on BBC1 tonight, did anyone catch it? I can't seem to find it on the iplayer :(

There are more pressing things happening in the UK zoo community then the improper disposal of a tiger carcass!!

19. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Not on iplayer don't know why but watched it and saw the shocking truth about Tira the Tigeress.

20. Gentle Giant

Here's BBC iPlayer:-

BBC iPlayer - Inside Out West: 19/10/2009