Join our zoo community

Zoo and Aquarium Membership Cards

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Arizona Docent, 1 Aug 2017.

1. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In Detroit a family membership--two parents and up to four children--is $109.00. I don't know offhand if this is the price for residents of the three county area, who get some small discount because a millage goes in part to the zoo. At the gate prices are $18.00 for adults and $15.00 for children 2-18. So if the parents and two kids go more than once a year it pays to have a membership. And if you travel at all, as said above, a lot of zoos offer reciprocity, usually half off. Also, I think parking is another $6.00, and members don't pay for that.

I live quite close to the zoo and usually go once a month or so, so I more than make my money back.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I understand third-world countries having fees for National Parks, but it seems pretty backwards for a first-world country to have this as a standard.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In some, you have to pay for maps, too.

4. Alex Bensky

I can't speak for other countries, but such fees are standard in the US...and in Canada. There's a Canadian national park near Detroit, Point Pelee, and they charge a fee. In Michigan, at least, I pay ten bucks extra when I renew my license tags and that gets me into all the state parks.

5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

American national parks are generally much larger than those in other first-world countries. They require a lot of money to protect, manage, and police, along with road maintenance, various staff for gift shops, food vendors, etc. Even under the best presidents, the NPS doesn't receive half as much money as they need to maintain the parks system. Charging fees at the 59 Parks, as well as some of the lesser NPS units (there's nearly 500), helps maintain those that are free, as well.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Are they? Where does that statistic come from?

m30t, Mr Wrinkly and ZooBinh like this.
  7. meadowvale

meadowvale Active Member 5+ year member

I have two memberships one to the Toronto zoo and the other to the aquarium.

The aquarium card has my name/photo on it, barcode, membership type and expiry date. It also has a "ripley's aquarium of Canada Annual pass" on the top. The other side has the aquarium name and a picture of a mantis shrimp.

The Toronto zoo card is green with the zoo logo as a watermark. It has the member number, member type, expiry date, barcode and my name on one side. The other side has the benefits listed and terms and conditions

Both cards are plastic and they send a new card with each renewal. The card I have is only good for one person and they give a small discount to other places but the ripely discounts are bigger and apply to their other attractions at niagra falls

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In October 2018 I reported on this thread that Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum had reverted to cheap paper membership cards. When I renewed in fall 2019 they were back to plastic cards (like a credit card). It has a bar code and no expiration date (and a silhouette of three wolves on the front with the saying member of the pack). I also let my San Diego membership expire and replaced it with Phoenix Zoo, which has a hard plastic card (no printed expiration) with a photo of a sloth face.

9. Alex Bensky

Detroit's is a plastic card with a picture on the front--a bald eagle this year--and the society logo. The back has the name, the type of membership, an ID number, a bar code, and an expiration date and this reminds me that mine expires at the end of the month and I need to renew it this week.

They give you a new one every year and the office has a little machine so if you stop in to renew you get your new card before you leave.

Arizona Docent likes this.