Join our zoo community

Zoo Animals Populations that will Expand in the Future

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 28 Aug 2016.

1. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

AFAIK All European Zoos that keep koalas are supplied from Eucalyptus farms located in Britain.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At least the German zoos have other suppliers, either locally or in the US...

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I don't know why would be so problematic or expensive to grown you own eucalyptus trees in a glass-garden or in a indoor koala enclosure/(sub)tropical house (in colder climatic zones). Anyway, you'll need one average backyard planted with gum trees (several species) to support at least 2-3 koalas year-round with fresh leaves. Plus once imported, the trees can be vegetatively grown and multiplied. I think I can grow them even in my home as house plant (hopefully - don't have them yet).

Adult koala consume on average about 200-500 grams (0.2-0.5 kg) of eucalyptus leaves/per day. I don't know how much all leaves on a live tree would weight, but once cutted they grow again. If we suppose that leaves mass on an adult eucalyptus tree would weight at least 100.0 kg (very obviously), then you have food to sustain one koala for about 200 days (although not all leaves are consumed).

Last edited: 13 Oct 2016
  4. Nikola Chavkosk

Koala already present in 12 zoos in Europe, including 3 zoos in Belgium! (I didn't knew that Antwerpen zoo is also koala holder!)

Also seems that soon will be additional 3 holders of Tasmanian devils in Europe, another species that would expand though slowly.

5. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Try 1,000 trees per koala, closer to the mark.

animal_expert01 likes this.
  6. Nikola Chavkosk

I read that too on EAZA paper, but why so much trees? Do you know? I disagree with that.
    The only logical reason I see behind this is that tree to be protected with only minimal cuts for koalas. But imagine if you only cut daily diet for a koala from one tree, then you wll need almost 3 years to cut branches from all trees one by one. It is not logical.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2016
  7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

you disagree with someone who actually has koalas, on the basis of you not knowing what you are talking about??

8. Nikola Chavkosk

See above I just edited my post. It is just unlogical. And would love to read more reasonable explanation. I think that was just mentioned as example (and for more secure food supply) (on the EAZA paper, not like mandatory requirement).

9. Nikola Chavkosk

10. Chlidonias

don't look at it as a "mandatory requirement", look at it as "if you don't have enough trees your koalas will starve to death". Cut branches need to be changed at least daily - the leaves need to be fresh, and the koalas only eat certain stages of leaves. If you tried to feed a koala on just one tree as you suppose above, then you'd probably have a dead tree within not very long because it wouldn't have any branches left. And then what do you do?

11. Chlidonias

but it doesn't really matter what you think. What matters is what is actually required.

12. Nikola Chavkosk

But koalas consume aproximately 0.4 kg of leaves/per day. Plus they eat older leaves too (that is also stated on official document of Australian Government for Conditions for Oversea transfer of Koalas - that can be fed with old leaves too). I suppose that cuts sufficient for one-day diet for one koala, from one tree, made each 30 days/per tree, will not be detrimental to tree, and hence you'll need about 30 adult trees to sustain one koala. Plus in the said document, there is not such requirement that you need 1,000 trees per koala, but that you must prove that you can supply needed leaves (either by your own plantation or by purchasing them on a regular basis).

13. Nikola Chavkosk

I have just realised that MRJ is actually operating the Moonlit Sanctuary (and first time I read about this sanctuary) housing also koalas, and MRJ can explain best whether some 30 adult gum trees (from several eadible species for koalas) are enough to sustain one koala, if he don't mind. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Oct 2016
  14. Chlidonias

I can tell you for a fact that MRJ will tell you that "30 adult gum trees" is NOT enough to sustain one koala. He almost literally said so further up the thread, and you said you disagreed with him.

Here's what you could do, when you get your zoo. Apply to the Australian government for some koalas, or ask San Diego to loan you some, but tell them you only have 30 trees and that's all you need. I doubt they would be diplomatic in their response.

It is no use you just repeating that you don't think koalas in captivity need x number of trees per koala to provide adequate forage, because you are wrong. Repeating it over and over again will not make you right.

15. Nikola Chavkosk

Ok Chlidonias, it would be not problem even to plant 1,000 trees if you already have the funds and land (and the operating zoo). I searched on net, one gum tree cost about 7.0 AUD. I just taught that number 1,000/per koala it's not logical.
    The fact is that I am VERY VERY far from opening a zoo (and even farther to obtain a koalas), and getting frustrated about that :( when I am earning aproximately 250 euros/month. I think I would had much greater chances to open a zoo in New Zealand; Would you ever try? :)
    If I have a zoo I would be satisfied with several primate species like ring-tailed lemurs, several spotted felids, deers/wallabies, parrots and snakes.

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

So let me get this straight..... you come out with a wild assumption about the amount of trees needed despite later admitting you *have* seen the correct figure on the EAZA guidelines for the species; then someone who actually keeps the species tells you that you are wrong and you reply by saying you disagree with him and the EAZA guidelines, on the basis 1000 trees sounds like a lot.

Then, when informed that the person you effectively refused to acknowledge actually *knows* what they are talking about you then have the cheek to ask him if he can support the very figure he already dismissed once.

That about sum it up? :p

So you think the logic behind how many trees a koala needs to adequately sustain it is determined by the cost of the trees?

Given some of the things you have said in this thread about being in favour of illegal smuggling of reptile species if it means establishing the species in captivity, I doubt the New Zealand government would let you *into* the country, never mind open a zoo there!

17. Nikola Chavkosk

I can't understand completely what you like to say. No and Yes?

No, logic is determined by amounts of leaves needed/amounts of leaves trees have.

(last quote)
    So this mean that zoos should not be supported in programmes for captive breeding of species that initially were brough into captivity by illegal means, like for example Fiji-banded iguanas? And I am not supporting illegal trade (except in exceptional circumstances, and never been implicated in) or legal trade for pet market, of wild animals. And don't love to open a zoo in New Zealand, but only in my living place. I just said that because of higher sallary people gets in New Zealand and thus asked Chlidonias.
    If you are about t open a zoo in New Zealand, you will have very limited opportunities to obtain different zoo animals, and no snakes.

18. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Hello Dunning-Kruger my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...

19. Nikola Chavkosk

Actually I'am quite opposite of this, if you imply on me

20. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I do. You consistently make claims about animal knowledge and husbandry. When those claims are proven to be false, incorrect, or harmful, it shows us that instead of actually being knowledgeable in the field, you are at best ignorant and at worst dangerous.