Join our zoo community

Zoo Animals that have done better in Asia, but not in the Western World

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by aardvark250, 23 Jan 2017.

1. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Seeing that Nikola have make a thread similar for America, I decide to make one for Asia.So, which animal do you think have done better in Asia, but not in Europe or America?

I can think of:
    Different types of cetecans like orcas,beluga and porpoise.
    Pangolin(They have bred in Asia but only one in Europe)
    Asian Black bear(Are they being phrased out?)
    Sun bear(The same)
    Black faced spoonbill(?)(At least they bred in Asia?Does that count?)

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sumatran rhino.
    The more delicate leaf-eating monkeys e.g. Proboscis, Douc Langur.

Thatzookeeperguy likes this.
  3. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe the only zoo in modern times to have bred the Sumatran rhino was in the USA so apart from a small semi captive group in Asia better outside its home!

4. Pertinax

Despite successfully breeding three times in Cincinnati, several of their Rhinos died of Iron storage disease which is a dietary-related problem so long term they did not really prosper there. There is better hope of maintaining them longterm in their native environment.

5. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I can think of giant panda, though it is also doing good in Europe and America, but it is more numerous in China in captivity (over 300 animals in captivity).

What about:
    -Snub-nosed monkey
    -Proboscis monkey
    -Nilgiri langur (last one in Europe was euthanised in Germany)
    -Indian sloth bear
    -Bengal tiger
    -Javan leopard
    -Indochinese tiger
    -Koalas (more numerous in Japan than in Europe?)
    -Storm stork

Last time I checked there were also about 50 pygmy hippos in Asia, wich can means they are doing quite well also there, but largest captive population remains in Europe (with about 170) (North America 80).

Some other numbers for some zoo animals in Asia:
    -Black rhinoceros: 60
    -Eastern bongo: 50
    -Orangutans: 420 (greater than number in Europe (350) (but possibly there is a great proportion of hybrids) or in N. America (280))
    -Western lowland gorilla: 70
    -Sumatran tigers: 40 (in Indonesia only)
    -Siberian tigers in China: there are estimates of more than 3,000 in captivity - though not officially recorded.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2017
    aardvark250 likes this.
  6. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just search at JAZA and there are 8 facilities in Japan holding koala. Chimelong and Taipei also have them too.
    Also South China Tiger and some pinniped(Baikal seal,caspian seal are in Japan and I suppose none in other country except Russia?)

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  7. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@aardvark250: Some of your examples are incorrect. In the way of "keeping" the animals you listed, there is no difference (or even sometimes a "pro" for Western zoos). Cetaceans live in at least the same (but in generall probably better) conditions as in Asian zoos/marine parks. Highest age record for their species is - afaik - for orcas and belugas kept by western institutions. Also, I have never heard that an asian zoo has had more breeding records for orcas as the SeaWorld Parks (and I have in mind that record breeder of belugas is a Canadian Marine Park, but may be wrong in this case).
    For pangolins you are right. The main reason is that some Asian zoos can feed them with their natural diet, because the animals come from the same country where the zoo is located (e.g. Taipeh Zoo). Also they were (until recently in Chicago?) never imported in big numbers to establish a breeding population in Europe and North America.
    Ref. Asian Black Bears: They have done (and still do) very well in Western zoos. They breed well and became very old. But because they are not so endangered, they have been (and will) replaced by other and more threatened bear species.
    Ref. Sun Bears: Breeding records in Western zoos are in indeed in generall insufficient.
    Black faced spoonbill: Never imported in big numbers, also very similar to species that could be easier acquired like African or Eurasian spoonbill.

@Pertinax: Sumatran rhinos do not better in Asian then in Western zoos, because they have never been exhibited in big numbers (at the same time) in any of the two continents, so there was never a chance to "compete". (Even the "base material" US- and UK-zoos collected in the 80/90ies were not sufficient for a breeding population).

8. Pertinax

I was taking the title literally- it says animals in Asia, not Asian zoos. I maintain that overall Sumatran Rhino does better in its home environment in Asia than when it was sent in number to Europe or US Zoos. I know captive environments in Asia have lost these Rhinos too, and lack the expertise in breeding of Western Zoos, but at least I think they are free from dietary problems there.

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To clarify, there is only one collection with Pangolin in Europe, but there are actually four individuals present there - not one.

10. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ahem,.. well my English is not so well, but the title clearly says: "ZOO animals that have...", so it is logical to me that he is thinking on ASIAN and WESTERN ZOOS...-;)

Batto likes this.
  11. Pertinax

Okay, my bad. I'll grant Sumatran rhino has done better in Western Zoos than in any Asian ones which have kept them previously. But it seems whether we like it or not that their future will now be in Asia, though not in Zoos as such.

12. Zorro

Last time I checked there were also about 50 pygmy hippos in Asia, wich can means they are doing quite well also there, but largest captive population remains in Europe (with about 170) (North America 80).

In regards to the number of Pygmy Hippos in North America is that the numbers in AZA zoos or the number in total in the USA?

13. Nikola Chavkosk

No that is total number for all North America (but of course most of them, if not all, are in the U.S.) - I researched that some 2-3 years ago, I don't remmember now. I have a list in word for approximate numbers (sourced from different published documents) of some zoo animals in Europe, North America, and for fewer also for Asia, Africa, S. America, Australasia.

14. Zorro

I believe there are a lot more in private hands in the USA than what would be shown in the above figures!

15. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think it would be more interesting to list the Asiatic native species that do better in Western zoos than Asian zoos, and discuss the reasons :p

Coelacanth18, jayjds2 and FunkyGibbon like this.
  16. Nikola Chavkosk

Actully the number of pygmy hippos in 2012 in North America was 61, after the International studbook from 2012: http://zooreach.org/ZOO_WILD_Activities/2013/Bulkmail/HippoStudbook2012.pdf

And that in Asia not 50, but 113 pygmy hippos! I was mistaken it with the number of African bush elephants in zoos in Asia.

I don't believe that population of pygmy hippos in private hands (if any), would survive on a long therm without coordinated breeding and collaboration between private hands or between private hands/and zoos, and that will go unnoticed from the zoos, thus this can mean that such population in private hands (not in private zoos) is very small to non-existent. Do you have any reliable info about existence of such population?

(The number of pygmies in Europe increased from 119 in 2008, to 137 in 2012, and now probably close to 170) (http://eaza.portal.isis.org/activities/cp/yearbook20072008/37_Tapir_Hippo_TAG.pdf).

Last edited: 25 Jan 2017
  17. Nikola Chavkosk

It is interesting because Asia holds far greater number of pygmy hippos than North America, despite perhaps less capacious zoos than America. Is this can be linked to greater number of founders than initially Asia got from Liberia/other West-African countries, or it is result of more intense exchange with those in Europe, and American zoos at the same time did not were so interested in this species compared to European and Asian zoos. (60 holders in Europe, 36 in Asia, and just 16 in N. America in 2012).

Last edited: 25 Jan 2017
  18. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

There are only around 35 pygmy hippos in the AZA, maybe close to 40 now with births and imports. The majority of the population, however large it may be, is held privately.

North America at one point had a much larger number of pygmy hippos in zoos, but they were largely phased out in the 1980s due to lack of interest. The population has stayed around where it is since the mid-1990s, but in the past couple of years there has been a concerted effort to increase the population and more zoos are adding or considering adding them.

In terms of Asian vs American zoo capacity, its not surprising to me that pygmy hippos are that common in Asia, since they use less space and resources than river hippos. American zoos seem to prefer river hippos because their size and familiarity makes them popular with visitors, although fortunately that perspective is changing.

19. Nikola Chavkosk

So this means that pygmy hippos are held as pets in private homes (not private zoos) (and in what number if there are estimates)?

Another question: Some time ago, on Wikipedia site for okapi, was mentioned of some private owner of approximately 25 okapis in private farm in the U.S., I think the owner was a (former) football player? Is this true or was just speculation that proved false and thus is no longer present on wiki's okapi site? Thanks, :)

20. Zorro

Another question: Some time ago, on Wikipedia site for okapi, was mentioned of some private owner of approximately 25 okapis in private farm in the U.S., I think the owner was a (former) football player? Is this true or was just speculation that proved false and thus is no longer present on wiki's okapi site? Thanks, :)[/QUOTE]

You maybe are referring to the group at White Oak?