Join our zoo community

Zoo Animals Well-Represented & More-Numerous in America, but not in/than in, Europe

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 31 Dec 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Another animal that is not present in European zoos is Geoffrey's spider monkey (CR EN species), but AFAIK this species is present and breeding in U.S. zoos? Anybody can confirm this and inform us how many zoos in U.S. (and eventualy in Mexico and Canada) holds this species?

This species was also managed in Australasian region, I think this was the species of spider monkey present in Auckland Zoo in New Zealand (I will check this).

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Incorrect; ten collections in Europe and Israel hold non-subspecific A. geoffroyi with a handful breeding the species.

Moreover, several collections hold pure subspecies; yucatanensis is held at Poznan Nowe, nominate is held at Kefar-Daniel, vellerosus is held at Prague, Zlin and Hai Park and breeds at the first of these, and ornatus is held at Chemnitz, Pont-Scorff, Peaugres and Jurques.

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Am not at clear, I proivided this info from ZTL - where it is listed only one (Israeli) holder of Ateles geoffroyi geoffroyi . I am not very familliar with subspecific classification of these beautifull NW monkeys, I'll must research this.

Edited after 2 minutes:
    Forget this, You are totaly right I dissmissed the other listing of no-subspecific status. Thank you TLD.

I had some impression that one spider monkey species is quite well-represented in USA but not in Europe, do you know for any such?

4. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

I answered this incorrectly, my apologies. It was actually 8 at the time (I'd forgotten Fort Worth) but is now at least 9, with Bronx.

5. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member

I too would argue that Europe has a surprisingly good collection with the UK letting the side down. I do often wonder if a collection (probabaly a theme park) really spent a good couple of million on a top, top dolphin exhibit how much it would attract the public, I think they'd be a great deal of people go to see them despite any protests.