Join our zoo community

Zoo animals you like to see the most

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by BigCatConniseur24, 29 Jun 2020.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The list below is not so much a "every zoo should have some of these" thing, but more that I have a special thing for these groups or species, and that I very much enjoy seeing and photographing them. That said I am definitely also able to enjoy a zoo that does not have many or even any of the species on this list. And I definitely appreciate animals and their conservation in general.

Some of the groups and species that I personally enjoy the most are:
    • Psittaciformes (Parrots, parakeets, parrotlets, lovebirds, amazons, lorikeets, budgerigars, cockatoos, macaws, rosellas, ...).
    • Wetland, waterfowl, wader and shore-type birds such as flamingos, herons, storks, spoonbills, ibis ducks, geese, screamers, waders such as lapwings, plovers, stilts and avocets, penguins and terns. As you can tell by my avatar the Inca tern is a particular favorite of mine.
    • Galliform birds like quails, pheasants, junglefowl, chickens, guineafowl, peafowl, megapods, curassows, guans and chachalacas.
    • Hoofstock (Artiodactyla and Perissodactyla) like antelopes, giraffes,, deer, wild sheep and goat species, takins, zebras, rhinos, tapirs et cetera. I have a special fondness for small ungulates like duikers, dik-diks and gazelles.
    • Tortoises, especially the larger species such as red-footed tortoises, Sulcatas and giant tortoises.
    • Tigers (any subspecies).
    • Wolves (any subspecies).
    • African hunting dogs.
    • Bush dogs.
    • Fennec and corsac foxes.
    • Pretty much all species that are rare and uncommon in zoos will be able to catch my attention.

2. BigCatConniseur24

BigCatConniseur24 Well-Known Member

I’m glad that we both agree that there are more leopard subspecies to be exhibited than Amur Leopards. My zoo has Amur leopards, which I love because after all they are leopards and leopards are my 3rd favorite cat (1. Tiger 2. Jaguar 3. Leopard 4. Snow Leopard 5. Cheetah 6. Lion 7. Cougar 8. Caracal 9. Lynx 10. Bobcat), but if I could control which subspecies they’d put in, I’d definitely recommend an African or an Indian leopard. I mean, they are considerably bigger, stronger, and more powerful almost weighing as much as a cougar or a jaguar. Nothing against the beautiful and spectacular Amur leopards, but let’s face it, they are very small in comparison to other big cats, let alone other leopards. It wouldn’t surprise me if they are the smallest of the big cats.

Another thing that I don’t like is zoos major bias towards endangered and threatened animals when deciding which species to phase in and out. Yes, I understand why animal conservation is so important and the roles that zoos and captive breeding programs play, but the animal doesn’t have to be a threatened species in order to be enjoyed by guests in a zoo. For example, I’m not a fan of zoos deciding to phase out brown, and North American black bears. No, neither species is threatened, BUT their raw size and strength alone is quite the sight to be seen. I’d much rather see those bears than the more threatened species, because I personally prefer larger species. I like big, strong, and powerful animals. I’m also not a fan of non-threatened crocodilians being phased out for their more threatened cousins, namely gharials. Again, I’d rather see a larger, stronger and more powerful reptile, than one who’s smaller and feeds primarily on fish. I apologize if I offended anyone, but these are just my personal preferences.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2020
  3. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

So, we agree and disagree ;)
    Yup, I would like to see programmes for other leopards. Here in Europe you can meet with a few subspecies (like North Chinese, Amur, Persian and Sri Lankan. There are few Javan and in Wuppertal zoo you can see the only ones Indian leopards in Europe), but as far as I'm aware it's hard to find that variety in US.

However if it would take to choose the other subspecies I disagree with proposition of African and Indian leopards strongly. @Jarne got a good argument that Indian would be easier to reach and start a new programme.
    However I think that both aren't threatened enough to be the first choice.

Javan leopards live in area which is under a great human pressure. They have Critically Endangered status, so they are one step from extinction. Similarly to Indochinese leopards. These two are in far greater trouble than Indian leopards and we can loose them soon.
    I think zoos should focus on cases like Javan. Why to keep Indian leopards if they still can manage their surviving, their numbers are high in comparison to others Asian subspecies and they probably won't collapse? Because of their appearance?
    Of course they need help but zoos have limited capability to deal with many programmes for one species, at least for now. The place which would be taken by less endangered animals, could be destined for the leopard truly in need.

According your second part I have two thoughts.
    Firstly, I like biodiversity as well. "My" Wrocław zoo opened some time ago a new wolf enclosure. I still think the place could be designed for more endangered dhole, but they did it for wolves. I'm okay with that in perspective of education - wolves are ambassadors for people who goes to zoo to see famous species (but briefly know *the* species deeply).
    I think the key is cooperating which each other and planning the strategy - to make place for these less endangered ambassadors (not to phase them out at all) as also for more endangered one (like: we plan to have dholes and wolves in Poland - who will take dholes? who will work with wolf ambassadors?). I'm aware this exist of course but I still think it's not on the level it could be. And of course I'm aware it's not so easy and there are many variables.

Secondly, we can discuss about our fascinations and in an simple discuss everyone could be right. Like - I really enjoy photographing tigers and jaguars. But in general I'm on the side of smaller species which are in the shadow of larger. Why this happened? Because they are less majestic?
    Maybe it's just a matter of perspective. For years we know only the perspective, the beauty and the greatness of large animals.
    We are in a zoo, an area which is designed and I believe it can be design in a way to show little species as impressive ones.

@HungarianBison I hope the Hungarian trip would be possible to me on Autumn! Sóstó was from the very beginning on my list :). Thank you!

PS: If I went offtopic again as it's the thread for "zoo animals you like to see the most" not "why", then 1. I would like to apologise... but it's too interesting to leave, 2. I could ask for another thread for the discussion? :p

4. BigCatConniseur24

BigCatConniseur24 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your feedback and your opinion. You made a lot of very good points.

Neva likes this.
  5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any small cat, the rarer in captivity the better. This is followed by any big cat, though the one cat species that least excites me is lion.

Neva and Xenarthra like this.
  6. Xenarthra

Xenarthra Well-Known Member

Slightly off-topic to the main thread, but related to some of the mentions of innovative, interesting exhibits: are there any small cat exhibits that you think do a good job of showcasing their species?

I ask because small cats, like a number of small carnivores in my experience, tend to be in "filler" enclosures due to their compact size and are overshadowed by their better-known neighbors. I don't know if a caracal or black-footed cat could ever match the public reception of lions, but I like to think that more engaging exhibits like Oregon Zoo's caracals with the dwarf mongoose tunnels (RIP) would help that along. Maybe then we'd have more folks excited about seeing the little critters :D

7. ThatOneZooGuy

ThatOneZooGuy Well-Known Member

Personally I LOVE hoofstock, for me this includes Gazelle, Antelope, Giraffes and Okapi, etc.

I can still remember how excited I was when I first spotted Nile Lechwe at San Diego Safari Park :D.

I am also a very big fan of most birds, especially Wading Birds (Spoonbills, Storks, Herons, Ibis, etc) as well as all Ratites.

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

NEW Zoo has a wonderful Bobcat exhibit.

9. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll never get bored of anteaters (giant or tamandoea).

Xenarthra likes this.
  10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have started a new thread on the topic, which you can view here: Best small cat exhibits

Xenarthra and BigCatConniseur24 like this.
  11. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

*breathes in*

Elephants
    Primates, especially great apes
    Snakes
    Crocodilians
    Active specimens of large carnivorans
    Cranes, storks, and herons
    Really, any kind of long necked and legged bird.

12. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Any rare or uncommon species excites me