Join our zoo community

Zoo animals you want to see but haven't yet

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Meaghan Edwards, 5 Nov 2008.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

sore loser :p

I think ratites is a good hand to play because they have a good mix of common zoo inhabitants (eg ostrich) and rarer ones that you need to travel to get (eg kiwi and most of the cassowaries). Unlike, say, hyaenas! How easy are they!? Just go to Berlin :D

Last edited: 4 May 2012
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

So near, and yet so far ;) as even disregarding tinamous I still lack all the kiwis, and two species of cassowary, and to get *any* of those I'd need a trip to the continent - Walsrode, by the looks of it, would be the best bet. To get them all, I'd need to throw in a visit down under!

3. Chlidonias

that's the spirit!!

4. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member

Still 4 species of kiwis to go and also my tinamu list is quite limited (just 5 species). I m wondering if someone here has all psittacidae. That would be impressive, I m quite far with the species in captivity (most notable one missing is the spix' macaw for the rest I have seen all species present in Europe).

5. Chlidonias

I think you'd have to phrase that as "I'm wondering if someone here has all the Psittacidae in captivity" because there are quite a lot that aren't or have never been kept. Even if only considering captive ones that would involve a truck-load of travel to accomplish (I think only a very select few of us have seen kakapo in captivity for example)

6. TeaLovingDave

I still need two species of hyena, and one of them is almost impossible to see in the UK - however I do have a trumpcard in having the Southern Aardwolf, which is pretty much absent in captivity!

The closest to a full set of mammals I have, in terms of groups with more than 2 or 3 species, would be big cats - I have all but one species, and being as the final one is the Sunda Clouded Leopard, I may as well call it a complete set ;)

7. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member

All psittacidae in captivity would be impressive already as except Kakapo it would also include rarities as the western ground parrot or some obscure species like bolborhynchus orbygneisus (in Europe down to a handfull pairs). Except for the spix I have seen all species that are (probably) in Europe but I miss some species that for most Australians are an easy tick like the varied lorikeet or purple-crownes.

And then we indeed don't even talk about South American genus like Touit or Pyrilia.

8. TeaLovingDave

Haha, in an ideal world I'd manage to time my visit for one of the occasions when Sirocco the kakapo is visible. There may only be three species of Strigopoid parrot, but I'd love to have *that* full set.

Of course, I'd be needing to get Kaka too :p

9. Chlidonias

when you go to Europe for the ratites stop by Stuttgart. I think they still have one kaka left.

10. TeaLovingDave

Lucky bastards :p still, even with my limited zoo experience I've managed to see one or two things which those of us in the USA and the southern hemisphere would KILL to see, so it works both ways.

11. Chlidonias

no, kakapo extinguishes all other claims

12. TeaLovingDave

It's a shame that kaka are so scarce in Europe when you consider kea are still relatively widespread.

13. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

Cat Ba Langur.

Northern White Rhino.

Just sayin'.

:p

14. Chlidonias

seriously? A monkey with a silly name and what is basically a big cow with horns on its nose? No contest I'm afraid :p

15. TeaLovingDave

I've seen a mesoplodont beaked whale in the wild, I reckon that's not too shabby!

I've also seen a leatherback turtle and basking shark in the wild, both on the same day! ;)

16. Chlidonias

oh, I may have to forfeit then :( I can't compete with a beaked whale

17. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member

Get your taxonomy right, it's a big horse with horns...

Kakapo is certainly impressive, is it as good as wild numbats?

I'm not really a lister or ticker but I have always like tapirs and have seen all but Baird's. But I'm going to Berlin later this year, so I'll also see Chacoan peccaries and complete the peccary set and so be able to charge double the rent and build houses and hotels, oh hang on I'm getting confused

18. TeaLovingDave

If it's any consolation, I haven't a clue which one it was, as I was only small when I saw it. :D

19. Chlidonias

ya, I went with cow for their placid nature, I wasn't really thinking taxonomically in that case

now that's just a low blow

20. TeaLovingDave

Of course, depending on what the eventual concensus on Pecari maximus is, your monopoly may be stymied!