Join our zoo community

ZOO Antwerpen Zoo Antwerpen news 2021

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by KevinB, 6 Feb 2021.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Earlier this week Zoo Antwerpen communicated on Facebook that during the summer holidays of July and August, when schools are out, membercard holders will also have to make reservations again at all times, including on week days.

Starting tomorrow, July 1st, face masks will no longer be mandatory outdoors in the zoo, unless social distancing cannot be maintained at all times, and will only be mandatory inside the buildings.

ZOO Antwerpen

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. KevinB

Clip of the two marabou chicks that hatched on June 3rd, as I previously reported in this thread. These are the first marabou chicks to have hatched in Antwerp and in Belgium altogether (Pairi Daiza also keeps marabous, but hasn't bred so far).

vogelcommando, Jana, Antoine and 2 others like this.
  3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. KevinB

She was wild-caught and was found by customs at Kigali airport, Rwanda, as an infant being illegally transported, in 1992. It is believed she was born in 1989 or 1990. In 1994 she was transferred to Antwerp Zoo, where at the time a small breeding group of her subspecies still lived.

5. GreatApeFan7

GreatApeFan7 Active Member

Thank you! I had deleted my comment because I hadn’t realized it was also asked at the start of this thread ;)

6. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

Amahoro came from Congo. DNA testing from a few years ago showed her DNA matched that of an Eastern lowland gorilla, so she's not a mountain gorilla as some think.

Perseus6 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. KevinB

According to a post at the Laafsekikkers forum a new Goodfellow's tree kangaroo recently arrived in the marsupial house at Antwerp.

8. KevinB

Photos placed in a fan group on Facebook suggests that the three lion cubs born earlier this year have now started going outside in the new outdoor separation cage that was placed a few months ago.

StoppableSan and Max Blundell like this.
  9. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As I've mentioned in the gallery (Fire-fronted serin, Serinus pusillus - ZooChat), since very recently Antwerp is home to Fire-fronted serins, the only zoo in Europe to have them currently. Unfortunately though (and I realize now that I probably should have posted this here earlier so that more people had the chance to see them), it seems like as soon as they came, they're gone again, because the bird I saw is already back off-show. The same, unfortunately, goes for the Spangled cotinga that was new since this year.

I also don't think anyone has posted that recently a group of 3 Elegant crested tinamou was added to the parrot aviaries.

Red-browed firetail seems to have disappeared from Antwerp though, presumably the final individual(s) died some time this year or last year, which must have gone under the radar. Of course it's possible that they're still around off-show, but given that it seems like all other waxbills from the old dark hall now share an exhibit it's weird that these would be omitted.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2021
  10. KevinB

Zoo Antwerpen's newsletter edition sent out today confirmed that the new Goodfellow's tree kangaroo that arrived earlier this summer is the 1.5 year old male Wako from Beauval.

11. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

The genders of the lion cubs have been revealed: one male and 2 females!

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Antwerpen (13/08/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CSgZ-6dLiqz/

csartie likes this.
  12. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

csartie likes this.
  13. Perseus6

Perseus6 Well-Known Member

To my knowledge they just use contraceptive pills last time I chatted with keepers.

KevinB likes this.
  14. Perseus6

When talking about Amahoro she does interact with Vizazi and Thandie, however there is a minimum of contact with Matadi and the rest. She often secludes herself ever since the death of Kiki she interacts way less with the group. She is a very interesting gorilla.

KevinB likes this.
  15. KevinB

I forgot that generally human contraceptive pills can be used with great apes.

I'm not someone who often lingers at the ape exhibits for a huge amount of time, but aside from the two youngsters I've never seen Amahoro near any of the other Western lowland gorillas. But she seems to get along well with the youngsters, and she is living in a social group with the possibility to interact. So I think that's the best they can do for her.

Apparently she's not the only one seeking contact with the apes, but her behavior seems to have been perhaps the most egregious. The clips I've seen of her talking about and interacting with the ape were really not normal and something you really don't want in a zoo. I hope the warning will work, for her and others, so no further steps will have to be taken. The letter also seems to have come after several spoken warnings that went ignored, so they decided to sent a written warning. I understand the actions of the zoo, and there wasn't much else they could do - they are actually still giving her a chance to behave rather than just banning her. But the zoo is being portrayed quite negatively in the media, whether that is because of purported harshness or because of media reporting. So this case still leaves a bit of a foul taste for me.

16. Perseus6

Yeah the whole Amahoro case is a little double In my opinion i might be good to try and start a breeding program for Eastern lowland gorillas all be it in sito in rescue centers because the population is declining rapidly (66% in latest reports only the African Grey parrot doing worse in the report with 99% decline) However I'm not opposed to her staying in Antwerp. I just wanted to let you know the situation used to be better before Matadi got introduced with Kiki dying.

But yeah the case with the chimps is a tragic one and ridiculously portrait in the media. Chita is a chimp who interacts with anyone he can not just the regulars in the zoo and the argument that other people are allowed is ridiculous there are signs that state it's forbidden and keepers often ask people to stop interacting. I think the zoo should have reacted better being honest that the chimps they have with a lot of them having tragic backgrounds are difficult and that the keepers often have to stay the night because they can't calm the group down enough. However if they would do so they kind of open themself up to criticism with them intending to breed with the group even though Tambuzi will 100% commit infanticide. Or if they even were more honest with Chita getting beat up for interacting with people. But yeah I've often talked to people like that trying to explain why it's a bad thing to do. People who genuinely don't know I don't blame but more often or not after explaining they either don't care or just do the same thing the next time you see them even on the same day. So i was happy they finally banned someone for it.
    But yeah remember the media likes to sensationalized the issue.

17. KevinB

Although I was a member of the zoo at the time Matadi arrived and Kiki died, I wasn't really keep up to date with the apes at the time. That really only changed for me when the new ape exhibits at Antwerp were built.

Which report exactly are you referencing here, with regards to the population declines?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2021
  18. Perseus6

KevinB likes this.
  19. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are you sure about that? Ik never have heard this before. What could they do it night else then waiting till the group calms down?

20. Perseus6

Yes I'm sure, the chimps are kept in smaller groups at night as is fine with the whole fision fusion structure in the group. But if the chimps aren't calm enough they might hurt each other or even kill one another so keepers need to stand by trying to calm them or ready to interfere with the hose or fire extinguishers. Since there aren't enough indoor enclosures to split the entire group with the whole regulation of animals in Flanders needing to be locked inside at night. Chimps are very difficult to keep especially if there are a lot of males in the group.

Tiger likes this.