Join our zoo community

Zoo Atlanta Zoo Atlanta Tips

Discussion in 'United States' started by Mary, 7 Jan 2024.

1. Mary

Mary Well-Known Member

Hi all! I’m visiting Zoo Atlanta for the first time next month and was wondering if anyone had any tips in general and for a few species I want to see.

What do you think are the best times to see the drills and the sun bear?

What are some hidden gems at the zoo?

Thanks!

2. Davdhole

Davdhole Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Former Georgia resident and Zoo Atlanta volunteer. Here's what I got.

According to a weather site I checked predicting next month's weather, the highs in the beginning of the month seem to be hovering around mid-high 40's, with the rest of the month anywhere from low 50s to low 60s. I wouldn't guarantee seeing the drills or even bears during the low 40s days, although I have a couple times, it isn't common for them to be out in that type of cold. The other days should be fine to see them, from my experience. Best shot for the drills is the warmest point of the coldest days and the morning when their food is first laid out and they're foraging.

The apes likely won't be out on the low 40s days either, however many other popular animals will be. Elephants, lions, rhinos, African hoofstock, and pandas will more than likely all be out and about. If the elephants or rhinos aren't outside you can try looking in their indoor areas for them. The tigers, mainly the female hates cold, so they may more than likely be inside on the colder days and even the mornings of the "warmer" days.

Most if not all the birds will be viewable.

The giant tortoises have an indoor area near the back of the zoo not too far from the petting zoo/ Wieland boardwalk area. The Komodo dragon will be in his indoor habitat attached to his outdoor habitat near the red pandas. Every other reptile and amphibian should be where they always are in the reptile houses, the hard part is just finding the more shy ones in their enclosures, especially the several tree frog species the zoo houses.

Zoo Atlanta isn't a huge zoo and has a pretty easy layout. Enjoy

3. Mary

Mary Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! I’m considering going the second week of February, and the Weather Channel’s almanac said temperatures average around 58 that week. Do you think that’s warm enough? I really appreciate this reply, it was very thoughtful!

4. Davdhole

Davdhole Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh, the site I used had different temperatures. Well if it's going to be around 58 when you go then you'll likely have a lucky visit and see the drills.

5. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

Get to panda early! When I went (during covid) we got like 30 minutes just to ourselves.
    Take your time also just because you don’t see the animals (especially the raccoon dog) doesn’t mean they aren’t out.
    Have Fun!!!!:D:D:D

6. Mary

Mary Well-Known Member

Thank you! I believe their last tanuki passed away unfortunately. It’s a species I always wanted to see, so I’ll have to make a trip to Oklahoma City sometime.

Spike likes this.
  7. King of Komodo Dragons

King of Komodo Dragons Well-Known Member

I visited back in December and the weather was around the 50s and it was rainy, the sun bears and Drills were both out and active during my visit. the sun bears were out and about basically all day, the Drills were more active in the midday.

some hidden gems besides the Drills, Giant Pandas, and Sun Bears include Western Plantain-Eater, Wonga Pigeon, Giant River Otter, Seal Salamander, Bontebok(I didn't see it, but it might still be around), Mona Coqui Frog to name a few.

StoppableSan and Mary like this.
  8. biggest_dreamer

biggest_dreamer Well-Known Member

Correct, both of them passed away in early 2020 unfortunately.

Personally, I’ve never had any trouble whatsoever seeing the drills. They’re usually active and front and center. The sun bears are much more hit or miss. There’s viewing windows from both above the exhibit as well as head on and neither of them really does a great job of showing where the bears most commonly hang out. Your best best is catching them during a mid-afternoon feeding, but I don’t know what time that’s done unfortunately.

JVM and Mary like this.
  9. Torgos

Torgos Well-Known Member

I think they have some weird black and white bears not seen elsewhere. Forget what they are called.
    They also have Boelen's python and Papuan pythons on exhibit plus Guatemalan and black beaded lizards and slender-snouted crocs.
    Verreaux's eagle owls, lappet-faced vultures, kori bustards are my bird favorites. Nice but small bird show on weekends.
    LOTS of gorillas, nice elephant exhibit, sunbears and drills as you know. And those black and white bears again.

Mary likes this.
  10. Mary

Mary Well-Known Member

I'm very excited about the whole collection! There's a lot of species there that I saw when I was a child, but haven't seen since I really got into zoos. So exciting to plan my trip!

SwampDonkey and biggest_dreamer like this.
  11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Don't skip the children's zoo area, there are a lot of nice smaller aviaries there along with some small primates and sloths.

Mary likes this.