Join our zoo community

Zoo Barcelona Zoo Barcelona queries and review

Discussion in 'Spain' started by epickoala123, 21 Apr 2013.

1. aim_foliksta

aim_foliksta Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. aim_foliksta

I don't know, but I have seen black vultures at the zoo since many years ago.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2013
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Maybe new pairing?

5. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Warthogs are beside tortoises

6. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Which species are on the artificial mountain?

7. aim_foliksta

There are libyan barbary sheeps, pied crows, aegyptian vultures, griffon vultures (only one), Hermann's tortoise, white storks, mouflons and spanish ibex.

8. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you;)
    I visited yesterday and was wondering what the vulture species was

9. Designaka

Designaka Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On Wikipedia it says that Snowflake's skeleton may be preserved. Does anyone know if that happened? I'm not sure why it would have been done as Snowflake was not unique because of his skeleton. I would have thought preserving his skin and fur would have made more sense.

10. aim_foliksta

For what I know only some DNA samples (skin, cells, ...) were preserved for investigation purposes. The rest was incinerated.

11. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I spent a most enjoyable day at Barcelona Zoo last week , a warm weekday with few visitors .

The groups of African monkeys continue to do well , with small baby drill , cherry-crowned and white-naped mangabeys . The enormous male drill was showing himself well . The new baby gorilla was a delight to watch . The extensively used glass makes photography difficult .

The Terrarium continues to exhibit a good diversity of crocodilians and two enclosures featuring Barcelona-bred Komodo dragons .

No umbrellabird or bellbird to be seen in the Bird House but two male ( possibly pairs ? )spangled cotingas . White-collared and blue-breasted kingfishers , toco toucans with two fledged young . Live goldfish were available as food in small pools in several aviaries .
    Elsewhere the Caribbean flamingos had a lot of well-grown chicks and the Southern ground hornbills had two fledged chicks and possibly a youngster from last year ( not as well coloured as the adult pair ) .

The three African elephant cows shared the same enclosures , but one kept herself separate from the other two . The 'glass-box' house has two deep sand substrate pens , the natural substrate paddocks seem to have quite a bit of enrichment . The new common hippo pool features a filtration system that seems to work continuously , their land area has a peat-like substrate .

A new enclosure for banded mongoose is near the Bird House . A new breeding room for the recently identified Montseny brook salamander is attached to the Tamarin House .

The warthogs are breeding well with at least a dozen , making a very attractive exhibit . The 3 'temporary' paddocks behind the Fenine House have nilgai , wapiti and a nice group of dama gazelle .

I saw the sealion 'show' in the Aquarama , floating platforms have been added to the former dolphin pool . The presentation is very much educational , rather than an entertainment .

12. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some notes on a recent visit. The male drill can now be seen much better in the new exhibit at the base of the mountain. Libyan barbary sheep are the only hoofed stock on the mountain. The spanish ibex or cabra hispanica will be greatly missed, where did they go ? The mouflon also left, the space they had is where the drills are. I counted 3 juvenile gorillas and 2 juvenile orangutans. One is with the gibbons. The orang exhibit is nice but difficult for photos. The spotted nosed guenon is with the talapoins and is easy to miss.
    2 groups of sahara dorcas gazelles, also saw the mhorr gazelles and the black faced impala, which according to the very nice webpage of Barca zoo may only be found in 4 zoos, San Diego Safari Park, Pretoria, Lisbon and Barca. Is this still correct ?
    The saddle billed stork is still as labelled as jabiru de africa. The island in front of the Casa de titis is being renovated. Interesting exhibit for the endangered monteseny brook newt at the titi house entrance. Brown spider monkeys had bred and had 2 juveniles.
    The nile and cuban crocodiles are not on exhibit at the terrarium, if they still remain at Barca. Various young komodos bred here are on exhibit. Nice to see that the turtle pond has spanish pond turtle not sliders. The bird house no longer has golden headed quetzals, but i did manage to photograph congo peacock and bali myna. The aviaries in the palm tree section also has some interesting species.
    I did not want to depress myself seeing the small african elephant exhibit so i missed the the young giraffe that was born recently and in the yard next to the elephants. Ni modo.

13. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ey Carlos... To my knowledge Lisbon and Barcelona are the two only zoos in Europe, with black faced impala.

I don't understand what do you mean about the saddle-billed stork.(Ephippiorhynchus senegalensis)
    In Spanish ;) it's named jabirú africano o "de África"

And yes, I agree with you, the elephant exhibit it's too small.

14. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I found a mounted saddle bill stork at the mexico city natural history museum labeled as jabiru. i placed the photo on zoochat here and there was some question as to why it was labeled as such. i then remembered seeing this species labeled as jabiru de africa in Barca zoo and that explained the sign at the mexico city museum.
    really like how barca zoo does conservation work with iberian species by the way. that is why i was sad to see the spanish ibex gone from the mountain.

15. redstarsmith

redstarsmith Well-Known Member

We made our first visit to Barcelona Zoo yesterday. I kept an open mind after reading a mixed bunch of reviews.

I was pleasantly surprised with the gardens within the Zoo and the amount of animals that are packed into a small foot print. I really enjoyed the bird collection and the reptiles in particular the number of crocodilians.

I would agree that the size of the exhibits are often very small, especially when the barrier distance must be some 20-30 feet for many of the hoof stock. The terraces for the big cats really are poor. While it is pleasing to see the development of the savannah area it is disappointing to see from the example of the new, almost complete, Giraffe paddock that still looks way undersized for a modern zoo exhibit.

I really enjoyed our visit and would go again if the opportunity arose. It has a lot of potential, if it is ever allowed to reach that would be another matter.

16. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In my opinion, the reptiles, birds, and (maybe) primates, are the three "big points" for the Barcelona collection.