Join our zoo community

Zoo Basel Zoo Basel News

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by kiang, 18 Mar 2015.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In July 2017 2 Cheetahs were born, now they are on public display.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

New species to the zoo are Visayan warty pig, two females are now in with the rhino, otter and muntjac

Summer Tanager and FunkyGibbon like this.
  3. vogelcommando

Article about the Cheetah-birth :

Cheetah Cubs Born at Basel Zoo

4. vogelcommando

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The king and gentoo penguins have left the zoo and are temporarily in Wuppertal, their enclosure will be renovated and extended (about 2.5-3 times the current size) and this should be finished within a year from now.

Back again in the zoo are Spotted garden eels, the Swainson's toucan seem to have left though.

Last September another West-African chimpanzee was born, the second this year.

6. scuttleclaw

scuttleclaw Active Member

7. scuttleclaw

I vote for "weird" - and I bet I'm not the only one :cool:

8. scuttleclaw

Den Baslern sind sie zu heimisch geworden: Zolli gibt die Wolf-Haltung auf

Above link leads to an article of a Swiss Boulevard Newspaper. For those who understand German or translate it word by word – I don’t like the tone of the article.

They wrote the article based on the yearly zoo report (which has not yet been published). So, no direct confirmation from Basel Zoo.

Too domestic for Basel Zoo - « Zolli » gives up keeping of Wolves

Basel Zoo’s strategy, to minimize the species kept for the benefit of giving more space to remaining species, works out well. Next species which will not be replaced are the Wolves and the old Sun Bear lady.

In last year’s not yet published annual zoo report Basel Zoo gets good grades. Samuel Furrer oft he STS-office (STS = Swiss Animal Wellfare) counts it among the three best zoos of Switzerland. But still, there are enclosures which are not meeting requirements of STS.

For example they claim that the wolf enclosure is too small and not up to date anymore. This reports «Schweiz am Wochenende». Furrer says he contacted the Zoo after his inspection and placed his complaint. Apparently the zoo is going to end keeping wolves. Once the two – already old animals – are dead they will not be replaced.

Focussing on exotic Species

The Zoo’s spokeswoman Franziska Viscardi says : « Wolves are domestic animals again. Our zoo focusses on exotic animals. ». The space of the wolf enclosure will be used for a «not yet defined purpose».

Another species which will not be replaced is the old sun bear lady. This enclosure will be used for other animals.

In the past years Basel Zoo gave up several species and used the new space to improve the enclosures for the remaining animals. Species like the Canadian Otter, the vervet monkey or the spectacled bear have already are no longer residing at the Zoo.

9. scuttleclaw

This is me speculating/my own opinion.

Latinka (the sun bear) is old and I already suspected that she will not be replaced. The wolf enclosure really is small. I imagine that if they wanted to keep breeding wolves they'd done something about it.

There are a few empty spots in the zoo (and near the wolf enclosure) which inspire me to dream.

If you walk up the stairs just beside the wolves there's a meadow - and if you turn left towards the flamingo pond there's the old agouti/wild goose enclosure which has been empty for years.

So maybe they enlarge the enclosure towards the upper level – or they could enlarge the snowy owl enclosure which is located right beside the wolves and looks tiny too. Or they enhance the owl "castle".

It's all a matter of finances. There are enough ideas around. Basel has been doing good up to now, so I am not worried. They will do the right thing. I am curious for what there is to come :)

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can hardly believe the zoo spokeperson would term wolves as "domestic animals again", unless she meant wolves now once more grace some open spaces in Suisse.

However, as an conservation education exhibit - same goes for lynx and wild cat - it remains imperative given that none of their populations are overtly robust, some remain as "vagrants" at best and lack fully adequate protective measures outside the Swiss conservation cohorte.

I do agree and found it surprising to read that in case of the lynx reintroductions since the early seventies, it indeed seems to have been a little on the naive. For instance, to not do a proper predator-prey base study beforehand and the total absence of any predator kill compensation scheme untill the start of 1988 ... (in a country with an important rural livestock presence) and thus opposition remained under some of the hunters', farmers' and rural folks communities alike This is probably worked against re-establishment of lynx in some parts of the country and I am not sure whether eastern and western populations have since connected (???).

To illustrate all this, I attach the KORA lynx reintroduction project pages as well as the WWF Switzerland policy document on Carnivora in Switzerland for your perusal.
    LINK A: http://www.kora.ch/malme/05_library...The_reintroduction_of_lynx_in_Switzerland.pdf
    http://www.kora.ch/malme/05_library..._Die_Rueckkehr_des_Luchses_in_die_Schweiz.pdf

LINK B: WWF Switzerland

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Given the context of the passage (and also assuming it is a translation into English), "domestic" means "native", not "domesticated".

Summer Tanager likes this.
  12. scuttleclaw

Kifaru Bwana - as I said at the beginning - it is an article from a boulevard newspaper. I posted it because I they mention the yearly zoo report. So there's some truth in it.

But yes Chlidonias, I translated this article (the link to the original is at the beginning of the first post) and this would make more sense than "domestic". Sorry for the confusion.

I'm sorry but I somehow can't quote your post?

Last edited: 27 Nov 2017
  13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Use the "Reply" link, not the "Quote" link, and the quote should appear in the text box. Using the "Quote" link is a pain to use.

14. scuttleclaw

Oh now I know how to use it. Thank you very much! :)

15. vogelcommando

16. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

It’s only Latinka left at Basel now? How old is she? I will try to go to see her in the next couple of months.

scuttleclaw likes this.
  17. scuttleclaw

Yes, she is. I know she's old, but not how old exactly.

18. agnmeln

I don’t know why, but I had been under the impression there were three or so bears at Basel. I can’t wait to see her, anyway! I hope she is keeping well.

scuttleclaw likes this.
  19. scuttleclaw

I found an old press statement of Frankfurt Zoo of October 2010 regarding her departure to Basel. It says that She is "approximately 23 years old" - which makes her 30 years old this year.

Summer Tanager likes this.
  20. agnmeln

Oh, thank you so much for sharing this information! So yes, she really is very old indeed!

Summer Tanager and scuttleclaw like this.