Join our zoo community

Berlin Zoo Zoo Berlin news 2019

Discussion in 'Germany' started by lintworm, 15 May 2019.

1. taun

taun Well-Known Member

What is Berlins plans to raise them? In China they part hand raise twins swapping the cubs every so often so they both get equal time with mum and away from mum.

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

That is what Pairi Daiza are doing, so I wondered is it part of the package to have an experienced nurse(team) from China at the zoo.

3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Expect even if there is not a experienced member of staff from China there, they will obviously ask for advice on the matter.

With the fees involved, you'd expect China to be heavily invested in making every panda loan a success. Its good PR for the country and glosses over anything else that maybe happening there.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  4. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

According to the Zoo Berlin homepage that's exactly what they are also planning there - in close alignment with the Chinese expert team...

Schwarz-weißes Glück²

taun and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  5. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Was the breeding a result of a natural mating or of the "evil" A.I. (if this is known at all)?

6. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There has been both natural mating and A.I. So as with raising the cubs, the approach is a combination of natural behaviour and human Intervention.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When the carnivore house re opens, will the nocturnal exhibits also be?

9. markmeier

I would guess so. They don't change too much down there for as far as I know and the building substance should be in a far better condition as well.

Something else: The little fellows start to look a bit like Pandas by now:

Elephantelephant likes this.
  10. Choco115

Choco115 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When will the carnivore house open then? I am going to visit zoo Berlin for the first time in summer 2020 So I hope it will be ready then.

11. markmeier

In fact, Summer 2020 is exactly when the the reopening has last been scheduled.

12. Choco115

Choco115 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Okay, thanks

13. markmeier

The Panda cubs seem to do well. They just opened their eyes:

Elephantelephant likes this.
  14. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited Berlin zoo yesterday and the morning rain, instead of spoil my experience, made me spend more time in the World of Birds, Pheasantry and Primate house and observe the birds and primates in the indoor exhibits.

This is my 3rd visit and there are few new things since last year, that worth to mention.

I thought, that the former Warthog enclosure will be occupied by Pygmy hippo, but there is an another Anoa instead.

The Hippo bridge and the path between the Hippo and Tapir/Rhino houses is closed and seems like the preparation for the new Pagoda building are on the way. All the animals in the area are perfectly visible, though.

The bridge in front of Black Sable antelope was also closed, probably for repairment.

To observe Black Rhino mother and calf and One-horned Rhino mother and calf in the same day was great experience for me, but not the best out of my visit.

All the small cats / vontsira exhibits behind the lion enclosure are removed and there are no cats on-show for the moment.

The African Wild dogs pack is really awesome to watch, but looks like their enclosure start to be tight. It is a new metal ramp fence there, probably for the young offspring. Opposite the Wild dogs is another small gem - the White-nosed coati .

The afternoon bring some Sun and was great to watch how animals start to be more active and playful. The Birds of pray started to dry their wings in а great posture.

The highlight of the day was a Giraffe fight, between the two males, something that I have never seen before.

The Zoo closes at 16:30, but The Aquarium at 18:00, so is nice to combine both.

On my way out I bought the new German book dedicated to 175 year Zoo Berlin:
    https://www.amazon.de/Hauptstadt-Tiere-Geschichte-ältesten-deutschen/dp/3962890408

Last edited: 5 Nov 2019
    Neva, Goura, sooty mangabey and 3 others like this.
  15. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has it been released in English yet?

16. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

17. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I asked in the store, but they are not planing an English edition.

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  18. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

It is not the best book about the Berlin Zoo. It reads fluently and is written quite nice, but is very superficial, as concerns the animal inventory. Of course, it is intended primarily for the average reader and not especially for zoo-interested, but a little more about the development of the animal inventorywould not have hurt. It also contains many mistakes. I do not know if the 2nd edition, publsihed in september, was corrected. But there is also an english book about the history, "Through the Lion Gate - The history of Berlin Zoo". But as far as I know, that also should contain many mistakes.

19. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’ve read ‘through the lion gate’ it may contain some errors but it’s certainly a good read none the less

20. markmeier

Some updates on the carnivore building:

zoomaniac, twilighter and Crowthorne like this.