Join our zoo community

Berlin Zoo Zoo Berlin News 2022

Discussion in 'Germany' started by JurassicMax, 6 Jan 2022.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Several US zoos have and f.i. MZ Toronto will us4⁵e multiple sky bridges for Carnivora. Something similar is increasingly being used connecting individual enclosures for hoofstock and others to create incentives and triggersģ for wildlife to confront. Smells, scrapes, et cetera.

markmeier likes this.
  2. markmeier

markmeier Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The common guess in German forums interprets the iguanas as temporary occupants, until a second Jaguar arrives.

Kabomani and HungarianBison like this.
  3. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Which forum btw?

4. Shruikan

Shruikan Active Member 5+ year member

Zoofreunde forum

Mickey likes this.
  5. markmeier

Here you find the link. But you have to register first to read the threads. The second relevant forum is Schueling Forum which also often has some interesting updates on Berlin Zoo as well as Berlin Tierpark (you don't need to register there, unless you want to write). But unfortunately some traffic has moved to instagram, facebook etc.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  6. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wasn't the additional outdoor rotational spaces for bigcats planned to be built on the deers and waterfowls current exhibits ? That would imply the aerial tunnel cross the large avenue at the center of the zoo. Not super aesthetic but certainly spectacular and crowd-pleasing if a bigcat cross on top of visitors heads.

7. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Glad to see the cat house reopened and delighted there is a nocturnal zone; was the highlight of my 2016 visit and was sadly missed upon my return in 2019 (although this was more than made up for by a very active Giant Panda!)

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I apologize if this has been stated elsewhere, but is there a projected opening date for the new rhino house?

9. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The original plan was to open 2022, but this doesn't look realistic to me. There's a good progress there, tho.
    IMG_20220312_120128.jpg

10. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Spring 2023 is the planned opening.

11. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Around 5 months ago a female Kinkajou (Potos flavus) was born, does Zoo Berlin now have 9 kinkajous?

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Berlin (22/03/2022) Login • Instagram

Antoine and twilighter like this.
  12. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Antoine likes this.
  13. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Hey guys, is the zoo open even ehen raining?

14. markmeier

Yes, it's usually always open, unless there is a heavy storm. There are also enough buildings.

15. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

But most animals would be inside their night refuges right?

16. markmeier

I guess, for many animals it depends on the combination of humidity and temperature. I have seen a lot of animals in the rain, as long as it's warm enough. Besides that, you can see a lot of animals in the buildings as well. And the Zoo tends to be a bit less crowded on rainy days. So I wouldn't worry to much and adjust your visit to the conditions rather than cancel it. You could also spend a larger share of the time in the Aquarium, if you like the animals in there.

Mickey likes this.
  17. markmeier

By the way: On very nice days, I prefer Berlin Tierpark even more than on average days: Less crowded, more nature. On very bad days (cold, humid, windy) I sometimes really prefer Zoo and Aquarium. You can keep dry and warm most of the time (Aquarium, Bird House, Carnivore House with Nocturnal Section, Hippo House, Penguin House, Giraffe and Antelope House and (a bit less modern and attractive) Monkey House or Elephant House. If I didn't miss any. And soon there will be a Rhino House again as well.

18. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Walking through the Tierpark on a beautiful day is unmatched in the zoo world. It’s simply heaven.

matzek, Therabu and AthleticBinturong like this.
  19. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

After visiting the zoo yesterday, here's some unreleased news and developments at the park:

• They seem to be planning on an expansion to the Arctic wolves territory by cutting some space to the former polar bear enclosure now that theur female is dead, but this conflicts with what theur signage said about their polar bears' population, which is that they want to keep some at the park, we'll see how this ine goes;
    • The penguin interior was closed due to "improvements being made", so I didn't really see the penguins up close but at least they were visible from outside;
    • Some keepers were cleaning an empty enclosure attached to Hippo Bay, perhaps a new species? I don't really see it being a Pigmy Hippo yard...
    • The Tuatara exhibit and the mega mixed bug habitats were empty due to cleaning and maintainence for new species (from what I understood);
    • The Pig House was seemengly closed but I didn't understand the signage nor translate it;
    • There's now an empty deer enclosure on near the Elefantor entrance.
    Some personal notes on the zoo: it is really a unique experience as many say, I'd never get bored of visiting it everyday, only complain I have are the "invasive" species of the World of Birds attractions, such as mice and finches of the park.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2022
  20. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That could be the white tailed deer which have been moved to Givskud zoo in Denmark.

JurassicMax and Haliaeetus like this.