Join our zoo community

Berlin Zoo Zoo Berlin News

Discussion in 'Germany' started by jwer, 29 Jul 2008.

1. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

That's news to me, thanks.

2. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

A crazy woman jumped today in the morning into the polar bear exhibit. She was attacked by one of the bears, who injured her very much, but the kepers could save her. Hundreds of people and children watched it,and I bet, some videos will come to youtube and pictures will be send to the Bild-Zeitung, the most famous yellow press newspaper in germany.

Thanks God, the bear is doing well.

3. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Let me guess... she jumped in so she could hug Knut?

4. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nope, she was in the moat of the other enclosure.

5. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

What a knob. I bet she tries to sue the zoo, I really hope the bear doesn't get enuthanised for this.

6. Zebraduiker

No, he won't. It's not the fault of the animal, if a crazy woman jump into his exhibit.
    Many years ago, a man took a shortcut to his car through the tiger exhibit at cologne zoo. He was drunk, and this people have mostly good luck, so this guy. The tigers were being fed, so only the female was palying with him a short while.... He survived his meeting with the tigress, and she wasn't killed for that.

I can't remember a case, when an animal in a german zoo was killed after such accidents,
    only if the animals escaped from their enclosures, so the chimpanzees at cologne in 1985.

A zebra stallion killed a man in a german zoo, after he tried in the night to mate with one of the females. The man survived the attack and could get out of the exhibit, but he died later at the hospital. The keepers found a long blood trace of this guy through the half of the zoo...This has happen at the beginning of the 70ty years.

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Here is the AMAZING video of this dangerous and reckless woman being rescued from the polar bears enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is a pretty bizarre situation.!!!..:eek::rolleyes::confused::(
    I guess the stallion was jealous?

at the London Zoo a deranged man climbed into the Asian Lion enclosure some years ago. He was attacked but was rescued and survived. The lions were not destroyed as again, the man entered their enclosure, so his fault.

9. Zebraduiker

What an boring video, no blood, no screams, nothing. Boring.Unspectecular. Our beloved Bild-Zeitung has much better and more bloody videos on their homepage.

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Zoo animals are never euthanized after accidents with caretakers or visitors entering their exhibit. Why should they be? Everybody knows that they are wild animals. Other safety measures will be taken in such cases, which is the most logical thing to do.

11. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Do you know how many larger zoo animals have been shot over the years (usually by policemen with no experience whatsoever of how to properly kill an animal...) because they either attacked humans, or merely were outside of their enclosure? I can tell you, it ain't a few, and the tiger in San Francisco is just a recent example.
    Nowadays, most zoos try to keep the animal in question alive; but in emergency situtions, humans come first-and animals draw the blank...

12. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

Then again, here in the UK at least, we're becoming a health-and-safety-crazed nation (or the Goverment is-most people are just being driven mental!), and had that woman tried that sort of stunt here, I wouldn't be surprised if some pen-pusher did try to have the animal(s) destroyed :mad:

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I don't know that, but I didn't mention cases where animals were outside their exhibits, but accidents that occur within exhibits. I can understand that escaped predators are shot, tranquilizing them would take time, and if the animal wounded or killed someone within that time, that would be unacceptable. And accidents in an exhibit, well, nobody expects a tiger or lion ( or bear, just fill it in) not to attack when they have the chance. So there isn't a good reason to kill them after an incident within the exhibit.

14. Sun Wukong

@Johnny: This was a merely rhetorical question, as I doubt that anyone has ever kept track of this presumably not too low number. If so, I'd be interested to read that.
    There have been several cases of animals being shot as a "preemptive strike" due to visitors entering their exhibit. Obviously, those visitors had not expected to be attacked (or were just too dumb, drunken or crazy to expect anything at all) and had to be "rescued" by killing the animals. I think there existed a book by Thor Larsen mentioning such cases in zoos involving Polar Bears. And who doesn't remember those stories of "Killer Elephants" like "Black Diamond" or "Murderous Mary" killed in various zoos and circuses over the years for injuring or even killing humans?

15. urbantiger

urbantiger Member

I am waiting as i'm sure one day the Character "Lion man" in New Zealand's Zion wildlife park, will come to an untimely end eg: eaten.
    They keep Lion's and Tigers mainly and as most of them have been hand reared or had close link with man he goes in and plays with all of them every day.
    I watch the programme on Uk tv and go hot and cold,
    as i can remember years ago a keeper that was killed by a Tigress at Port Lympe Zoo in Kent, they always went in with the big cats until that day and the poor Tigress was shot. Can never understand why as the keepers there knew of the dangers before going in and it was her territory.

16. Sun Wukong

17. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what happens when Pedro gets annoyed! :D

18. Zebraduiker

@Sun Wukong. Och Joeh......Hope, nothing happend to the chimp, to fat meat isn't good to them.

19. Sun Wukong

@Zebraduiker: I rather think naughty Pedro will get plenty of treats from the zookeepers...;)

20. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Berlin zoo has received a pair of lowland anoa, from Chemnitz and Prague zoos.