Join our zoo community

Berlin Zoo Zoo Berlin News

Discussion in 'Germany' started by jwer, 29 Jul 2008.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice to see that a mainstay of the collection - bovids - is making a come-back at Zoo Berlin. I truly hope the breeding programme for anoa and its fellow Sulawesi counterpart babirusa may be rekindled across Europe (good developments lately in Indonesia and Surabaya Zoo)!

2. nene

nene Member

Last edited: 29 Jun 2009
  3. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

That's good news, thanks for the info.

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. SL70

SL70 Member

A male Black Rhino was born on sunday. The mother ist Maburi (born in Magdeburg). It is the first calf of Maburi. A very good news!

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have heard zoo berlin will build a new birdhouse, does anybody have more info on this, or, even better, a link to a website which contains more information about this project? I couldn't find anything on their own website.

7. kiang

8. tim b

tim b Well-Known Member

Yes,there is a plan to build a birdhouse on zoogeographic lines but it isnt past the design stage yet.It will be on the site of the current birdhouse.

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Let's hope it's going to be great. The current zoo manager doesn't believe in nice and beautiful exhibits, at least, so I've heard?

10. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Wow, Johnny, I'd say that's a bit opinionated. I have a hard time believing any zoo director would say I "don't believe in nice and beautiful exhibits".

11. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

ANYhuis, have you been to the Animal Park Berlin? The director Blaszkiewitz, who is unfortunately also the director of the zoo in the city center, believes in green fences and barren, boring enclosures.

12. ANyhuis

Yes, if you mean the downtown Berlin Zoo, I have been there -- about 2 years ago. I've seen prettier zoos, but I didn't think it was really bad. They clearly had the best animal collection of any zoo I've ever seen, and I've seen over 220 worldwide.

While I do agree they could do better, I just think it's a bit harsh to say the director "doesn't believe in beautiful exhibits". Sometimes the money isn't there to make everything beautiful.

13. tim b

tim b Well-Known Member

No he means Tierpark,both zoos in Berlin are in my top four in the world - how anyone could call either collection boring in any way at all is beyond me.

14. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No one has called the collection of either Berlin zoos boring. It`s the enclosure design in the Animal Park (not the downtown zoo!!) which is beyond boring.

Let`s continue this discussion after you`ve been to the Animal Park Berlin, ANYhuis.

15. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

I've been last weekend to the Zoo and the Tierpark Berlin. I think, not the view for the visitors is the problem of many Tierpark enclosures. Missing shade for equids, rhinos and elphants,or missing hiding places for most animals at the Tierpark are the bigger problem.

And I think, the enclosure sizes, especially for the elphants, is for the size of the elphant herds not acceptable. The space at the Tierpark can't be the problem.

A big problem is also the Alfred-Brehm house with the too small outdoor and indoor cages for the big cats, also the missing hiding places or water pools for the tigers in the cages. There is so much space around the Alfred-Brehm House to enlarge the cages.

Just my personel view of the situation. A big collecton is great to us zoofans, no question, but to have better exhibits for the animals, is much better for the animals, which have to live there.

Last edited: 4 Apr 2010
  16. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think one of the the biggest problems is that the zoo director still hasn't heard about the word "enrichment", the only thing he really cares about is how big and special the animal collection is...

17. ANyhuis

Do you mean "Tierpark Berlin" (in the former East Berlin)? Then yes, I have been there (in 2007) and I loved it! Amazing collection with many huge yards for the animals.

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The collection of tierpark consists mainly out of hoofstock. And too much hoofstock is quite boring. I did like their predator collection, but not the way they were kept.

@ Tarsius;

Don't overestimate the importance of shade for animals who live on open plains in very hot parts of the world;)

19. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

@Johnny. Don't Worry, I don't. But Grevy-Zebras , for example, do not live in open plains and I've often seen them in other zoos standing and resting in the shade under trees at hot summer days, also I've seen Mountain Zebras enjoying resting in shade, so I think, shade is an neccessary for them, and there is no reason in the Tierpark, to give not shade places. i've seen some desert animals, which prefere shade places for sun places.

I've seen all the african equids in the Tierpark a few years ago at a very hot summer day, they were standing as close to the stable as they could, to get just a tiny point of shade....

And I have pictures of Mountain Zebras in the Desert, resting under a Tree, there are trees in deserts and open plains also....So if you would give them a protected tree in their enclosures, the zebras at the Tierpark would be very thankful for that.

20. kiang