Join our zoo community

Zoo Boise Zoo Boise's African Plains Exhibit

Discussion in 'United States' started by Ituri, 2 Aug 2008.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoo Boise is in the late phases of construction for their $2.8 million exhibit complex that will transform 3 1/2 acres at the south end of the zoo into an African Savannah and Village. Over 35 animals of 17 species will call this new exhibit home including rock hyrax, DeBrazza's guenon, serval, lion, bat-eared fox, Grevy's zebra, giraffe, black-casqued hornbill, purple roller, West African crowned crane, hooded vulture, weaver birds, and African spurred tortoise. The exhibit will also feature a boat ride on the lagoon, and a classroom space with windows opening into the new lion exhibit. The exhibit is scheduled to open in October of 2008.

2. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

An African Savannah without any antelopes ?

3. Ituri

There was originally planned to be, but when the decision was made to keep the Grevy's zebra instead of acquiring Grant's zebras, the antelope were nixed. Grevy's zebra don't generally mix well with things smaller than themselves (but honestly I think the zoo is nervous about them with the giraffes as well)

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zebraduiker-Most of our Zoos don't have antelopes in their savannahs and that's because they just aren't availiable so I can see what you mean.

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

The SD WAP used to have their Grevy's Zebra in their African exhibit with other species untill some time later they moved them into there own exhibit because they were to aggressive

6. Ituri

7. Ituri

Another news article, this with more description. Has a species list too

reticulated giraffe

African lion

Grevy's zebra

serval

De Brazza's guenon (monkey, summer only)

bat-eared fox

rock hyrax

African crowned cranes

African spurred tortoise

African plated lizard

Kenyan sand boa

dung beetle

black-casqued hornbill

trumpeter hornbill

purple rollers

red bishops

violet turaco

Zoo bringing a bit of Africa to Boise | Local News | Idaho Statesman

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Zoo Boise builds an African world | Life | Idaho Statesman

The price tag appears to fluctuate every time I read a different newspaper article, but now the African Plains exhibits are listed as costing $3.7 million. This October the zoo will open its largest expense ever, and the first major habitat opening since 2000.

9. Ituri

Yeah as I understand it the construction costs keep going up and up as they build. The last number I heard was 2.8 million but having been watching construction, I can easily see the 3.7 million number being true.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2008
  10. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

It doesnt help that fuel prices continue to rise...

11. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

When you look at the species list and consider the number of enclosures and aviaries, as well as the holding areas, viewing areas, plumbing and electric required....this is either the most frugally budgeted exhibit of the past several years, or it may be the worst.
    In other words, all this for $3million?!?!?!

12. Ituri

Well this is a rather small-market zoo, so you're not going to see something necessarily the same quality (at least as far as the animal exhibit themselves go) as you'd find in a zoo with a larger budget. I'm pretty sure there is not a lick of artificial rockwork to be seen in this exhibit.

13. Ituri

I just got done with a pre-opening behind-the-scenes tour of the exhibit and I must say, for the money I'm quite impressed. And the statement about rockwork turned out to be not entirely true, there are some artificial termite mounds. The zoo used entirely local labor and lots of volunteer and staff labor. They really stretched their budget.

14. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Did you take pics of the new exhibit?

15. Ituri

No not yet, once the exhibit is opened and populated with animals I will.

16. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

When will the exhibit be opening?

17. Ituri

October 4th

18. Ituri

I have returned from a visit to the new African Plains exhibit and will follow here with a review. I figure since few if any who frequent this board have visited this small zoo in Idaho's largest city, I'd add on a full review for the entire zoo. Zoo Boise was accredited in 2002, and for the most of the last century it existed beforehand was mostly neglected and mismanaged (at least as near as I can tell). The current zoo director took over in the late 90's and that is when the zoo really started to turn around.

The zoo is bisected by a lagoon. The African Plains exhibit is across the lagoon from the entrance. In this coming spring you will be able to take a pontoon boat ride to the African Plains exhibit past an exhibit for De Brazza's monkeys. As you aproach the bridge to Africa two round enclosures which used to make deplorable procyonid enclosures, now house two species of hornbills, black-casqued and trumpeter. Nearby is the boatdock and a small "travel agency" building that highlights the continent of Africa. This is the beginning of the African experience here. You cross a mock suspension bridge and take a crushed volcanic rock path past an attractive mesh exhibit of servals, to the entrance to the African village. The village has a house, a food/retail facility and a school house. The school house is made up just like a school house in Kenya would be, except it has windows looking out into a spacious lion enclosure. On the other side of the village is the giraffe barn, which has viewing windows for inclement weather. The spacious giraffe exhibit (Grevy's zebras will soon be joining them) is on the edge of the village. Nearby is the ranger station with interesting artifacts and several live reptiles and insects. The ranger station also has a little courtyard that is inhabited by violet turacos, rufous-crowned rollers and bishop weavers. Nearby are mesh enclosures for bat-eared foxes and rock hyraxes. Also there are bronze elephant sculptures that are rigged with water to spray passers by. All in all it is a very well conceived and executed exhibit particularly for a zoo of this size and budget.

Back on the other side of the bridge there are two large aviaries that are divided into several different enclosures for native hawks, eagles, several owl species, Andean condors, black-crowned and sarus cranes, swift foxes and one has even been converted to an outdoor enclosure for the gibbons from the nearby primate house. The primate house is dismal. You enter one side and see concrete and steel enclosures for De Brazza Monkeys and white-handed gibbons. The young gibbon born last year is quite entertaing to watch. The other side of the building is only viewable in the summer as the walkway is outside and they have large garage type doors between the walkway and the bars that are closed in the winter. These cages house hyacinth macaws, green iguanas, and white-headed capuchin monkeys.
    Lining the main mall of the zoo are small glassed in enclosures for bobcats, coatis and ocelots. There is a second bridge that leads across the lagoon to exhibits for bighorn sheep, magellanic penguins, Patagonian cavies, and a Harris' hawk. The penguin pavilion is fairly new, but not very impressive. It was converted from a beaver/otter exhibit at not a great expense and so does not very well replicate the birds' natural habitat. It is fun to watch them swim underwater. Also in this area is a small buildign housing cotton-top tamarins and several frog species. (The zoo has acquired many frogs for the year of the frog and they are in weird places all throughout the zoo, there isn't a single enclosed building without some in it)
    Back on the other side of the lagoon is an area devoted to animals of Asia. Amur leopards and snow leopards had painfully small, dreadful enclosures, but have had large grassy yards added on to them. This is a nice way to improve an exhibit without a major expense. The one break from the Asian theme is a large enclosure filled with llamas. In Boise Idaho, llamas don't make a good zoo exhibit as they can be seen ALL over town. This area has a large grassy exhibit for Amur tigers with glass viewing, a wooded sika deer enclosure, amd a large mesh exhibit for red panda (with a new baby this year). The bear grotto is a 1960's brutalistic architecture piece and as such is gruesome. The zoo has broken out the concrete flooring and replaced it with vegetation, but much still needs to be done. The exhibit houses a single female sloth bear. Next door is an outdoor enclosure for an extremely shy binturong. Few guests ever see him.
    The other area of the zoo is the Small Animal Kingdom. This nice set of exhibits opened in 2001 and is broken into three sections, Islands, Deserts and Rain Forests. You walk around the outside of this building viewing the exhibits through glass (think San Diego's reptile house) Most of the larger inhabitants have outdoor yards attached as well. The Islands section has exhibits for Aldabra tortoise, ring-tailed lemur, several small lizard species and a large and impressive male Komodo dragon. The deserts section has meerkats, crested porcupines, desert tortoises, Gila monsters and a few other reptiles. The Rain Forest section begins with a slide for children that offers an elevated view of the outdoor spider monkey exhibit. This effect is really fun, and the spider monkeys seem to enjoy watching the children at play. Following this you enter the building into the Rain Forest section. Plants (both real and artifiicial) and vines attempt to give you the impression of entering a rain forest. It's not fair to compare it with large zoos rain forest buildings but it is kind of nice. The indoor section has a two-toed sloth, indoor viewing of spider monkeys, chevrotains and a large Burmese python.

All in all, it's a very modest little zoo with many improvements needed, but if the new African Plains exhibit is any indication this little zoo has a very bright future.

19. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review Ituri

20. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for giving such a detailed review. I love it when people do.