Join our zoo community

Zoo Brno ZOO Brno

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Woxys, 21 Mar 2009.

Tags:
  1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe the new lion enclosure is supposed to open today. I was there a few days ago and it looked quite good.

3. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After 17 years since last breeding, two Sri-Lankan Leopards were born.

FunkyGibbon and LaughingDove like this.
  4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. HOMIN96

2 lion cubs were born on 29th December

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Brno has first surviving Margay kitten. It´s offspring of breeding male Yoro they borrowed from Jihlava zoo for a few months.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Great timing for my visit next month - hopefully I’ll get to see the kitten when I’m there.

8. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited Brno Zoo last month, it rained the entire day, but still visited the entire park. Some good enclosures (brown bears and wolves come to mind) some bad (chimpanzees, leopards , manul, polar bears, and the worlds smallest lemur island) but mostly average.
    Nothing too spectacular. The least impressive zoo of my trip (which also included Praha, Plzen, Zlin-Lesna, Dvur Kralove and Ostrava)

* Lion enclosure is finished, but due to the rain, I did not see any lions. It is quite spacious. For sure a whole lot better than the cages the Sri Lanka leopards live in.
    * Saw the margay kitten. It's doing great.
    * In addition to the giraffes and zebras, the savannah now also houses blesbok. There are no more wildebeests, though.
    * The Tropical House now displays Short-tailed opossum! Although, I didn't see any (it's a diurnal enclosure).
    * New as well; European badger (It's not on the map or the website, and it was not mentioned on ztl)
    * Another recent addition is the long-nosed potoroo. The also still keep rat kangaroo.
    * Another recent addition are the white-faced marmosets in the Tropical House.
    * Near the entrance, a new aviary for European birds is being constructed.
    * The chimpanzees are also getting a new, much bigger enclosure. This was much needed.
    * The new chimp enclosure is being build where the ibex enclosure used to be. The Siberian ibexes have moved in with the geladas. The barbary sheep that were there before that, seem to have left the collection.
    * I THINK the wallaby enclosure is no longer walk-through and I didn't see any yellow-footed rock wallabies, just the Bennetts. Theres still some photographs of the yellow-foot, but no actual signage.
    * Saw my first Freshwater morays (Gymnothorax tile) here. Awesome creatures and well visible. This one and a lot of other fish species were not on ZTL yet, so I updated it, for those who are interested.

Last edited: 22 May 2018
    xmoose and sooty mangabey like this.
  9. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well you compare Brno with best zoos in Bohemia (and Moravia), thats bit unfair :D
    Leopards are still in cage? I thought they have an "open" enclosure (not too spacious and with net above, but definitely not a cage)
    Are there another expositions which are under construction now? (Himalaya, muskox?)

10. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The leopards have 2 enclosures, one cage and one netted enclosure. The netted enclosure is somewhat more spacious and somewhat acceptable, but still not huge. The cage is just bad. (But Ostrava was even worse!) The zoo has enough space to expand the enclosure, one might think.
    I have photo's, I'll upload later.

There were signs about the Himalaya area, but no works going on yet. I don't read Czech, but I remember snow leopards, kiangs, yaks and takins being in the plans.

11. xmoose

Yeah, I know about plans and seems interesting for me (there is not something like that in Czech and in Brno with it´s terrain it could work good)
    And yeah, I really like Ostrava but big cat enclosures are more or less meh (at least tigers should get soon bigger space, not sure with lions and leopards)

12. Shruikan

Shruikan Active Member 5+ year member

If Ostrava would make enclosures for tigers, leopards and lions like the bear enclosure it would be awesome!

13. xmoose

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Himalaya is the next project. I think it is due next year or so. The chimp exhibit should be finished this year.

15. HOMIN96

That has been the case for last 4 years (seriously) :D

I think the Chimpanzee exhibit won´t be that big to incorporate the Ibex´s exhibit. Maybe there are some repairing works going on but zoo has lined-up Himalayan tahrs for this exhibit.

Barbary sheep had certainly left the collection.

The Himalaya area should have according to Zoo´s website Snow leopards, Tibetan macaque, Blue sheep(not confirmed but heavily rumoured, other option is Goral), Vultures, some Pheasant species, Kiang, Takin and some domestic cattle

16. HOMIN96

It´s Brno...so I´m going to be really surprised if those timeframes become true. (The chimps might be likely, but I´m sure that they´ll find some way how to delay it :D )

17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Now that would be an interesting acquisition. Any idea where they would be sourced from?

18. HOMIN96

No idea...But the thing is, Brno has quite a habit of putting unique species to plans of new exhibits, but they never really get them.

19. HOMIN96

The enclosure is still walk-through maybe it was just closed that day for some reason... There is a group of Swamp wallabies, and I'll try to find out if the yellow-footed are still present too.

20. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone knows if Brno really received Javan ferret-badgers as per zootierliste?

Brum and FunkyGibbon like this.