Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Zoo Center

Discussion in 'United States' started by loxodonta, 6 Jul 2009.

1. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

The first few times I visited Bronx the Asian elephants were on display at Zoo Center and Wild Asia, Malayan tapir at Zoo center and Jungle World and two rhino species were on display at Zoo Center (Rapunzel) and Wild Asia (Greater one horned). Does anybody know why Bronx removed the tapir and elephants from the Zoo Center building? I understand that Rapunzel died, so that would empty that exhibit but why move the elephants and especially the tapir? The outdoor yards were nice but I understand the night area and indoor displays were very small. I also heard they wanted all the elephants in one area. If anyone has information I am interested.

2. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't know much about this, but I've read in other threads here that the Bronx Zoo is looking to phase out elephants. I haven't been to the Bronx Zoo since last summer, but last summer there were Malayan Tapirs and Babirusa in the Zoo Center, where I'm guessing the rhino was kept because no way were those areas big enough for elephants. The area which I'm assuming housed the zoo's elephants now houses Bactrian Camels.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The Bronx Zoo announced a few years ago that they will phase out elephants after they are left with one elephant still alive. Then whomever is the last to be kept at the zoo will be probably transferred to another establishment.

4. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where do they go in winter?

5. snowleopard

@zooman: the elephants at the Bronx Zoo are probably like all the other northern-based pachyderms. They have the choice to either freeze in the snow and rain, or rock back and forth in a warm, heated barn.:)

6. loxodonta

The bactrian camels are in the old elephant yard. The babirusa are in the old tapir yard and when I went, last summer, nothing was in Rapunzels old yard. I do know they are phasing out the elephants but I don't understand why they moved them? For their remaining years have them in the Zoo Center so people can watch them for as long as they want. I also know the 2 current females do not like the monorail and have been known to try and attack it.

7. snowleopard

Here is a good question: once one of the female elephants dies, where will the remaining elephant be sent? Is there already a zoo lined up?

8. loxodonta

Probably a sanctuary due to their age (mid to late 30's) but this is just a guess.

9. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was sure they went offsite.

10. OneHungryHippo

OneHungryHippo Member

Actually, now the Indian Rhinoceros is in the old Camel/Elephant yard.
    The babirusa has actually never been in the old tapir yard, it's been in Rapunzel's old yard. The tapir yard has the sign "Malayan Tapir", but there aren't any there. It is believed this spring, the exhibit will contain tapirs again.

11. loxodonta

Thanks. The old elephant/camel yard would be excellent with the large body of water in the front of the viewing area. How many currently reside there?
    I

12. OneHungryHippo

OneHungryHippo Member

I have only seen 2 rhinos, and they were on YouTube. I went in October, and I didn't see any. 1 mother, and 1 calf.

13. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

When I was there in Sept and then again in Dec, the indoor holding area that used to have camels from 2098 to at least Feb 2009 (last time I went there before June...) had some form of singular female rhino. Personally, that made me quite sad as those aware of that inside area will recall that it is smaller than most apartment bedrooms.

I haven't looked at the yards outside the building since it held elephants. Honestly, Bronx's decision to phase out elephants is a poor one in my opinion. Yes, people go to the zoo and expect elephants blah blah blah. But Bronx has always made it a mission of their exhibits to set a standard in care and animal maintenance that other zoos follow and or do even better at. The hear that Bronx is 'giving up' on helping the world's largest land mammal always puts a sad spot in my heart. Their exhibit on the monorail is about average, perhaps a bit better and there's the room in their plans to make it even better. But no, no...