Join our zoo community

Zoo Community - Fantasy Zoo Game

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by ZooBinh, 4 Jan 2019.

1. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member

This is a game where each participating member has their own zoo. Each member is a director of their own zoo, and each zoo (if qualified) will be part of a zoo association, which is directed by me, though, every year, a new association president will be elected (more details in the time to come). In the coming time, you can submit a fantasy zoo in this thread following these guidelines. My zoo will be the example below.

1. You must say where the zoo is located and the environment around it.

My zoo is located in a large residential lot, with a polluted stream located within it. It is in a suburban environment of Las Vegas, a city in need of a quality zoo.

2. You must state the size, and a budget to get your zoo to an area where you can start up.

My zoo will be 87 acres large, and will have a budget of starting out of $200,000,000.

3. Give a list of 8 animals you know for sure will be on display

My animals will be: Red-Tailed Black Cockatoo, Capybara, Reticulated Giraffe, Siamese Crocodile, Sumatran Tiger, Black Rhinoceros, Arapaima, and Maneless Zebra.

4. You will briefly describe your exhibits for the animals above.

A small tropics trail will have lush and extensive exhibits for the cockatoo, crocodile, arapaima, capybara and tiger. Two large African Savanna paddocks for the rhinoceros, giraffes and zebras.

5. Give one reason for your zoo to be accepted, along with a conservation program for your zoo with one of your eight species.

My reason for this zoo to be qualified is the efforts that the zoo will put in to create sustainable habitats for the Sumatran Tigers, and we will work to rehabilitate the animals bred here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your zoo is accepted or not, you still can participate. All zoos have the right to exchange animals with each other, import and export animals, and build new exhibits. Also, after 5 years*, you will be able to open up a new facility elsewhere in the world, whether it be a breeding centre, aquarium, or another zoo.* Though, only accredited zoos can vote for a new association president.

To talk moneywise, you will be responsible to keep track of how much money you have and spend. All zoos recieve $100,000,000 per year, and visitor numbers will be decided on how much activity you have (but every year, each zoo will have at least one million visitors). Also, keep track of your land, of how much land you have and use.

*one year = one month, though I will be the association president for the whole of 2019, to get the game started and stable

Thank you for reading, I hope you participate, and happy new year! All suggestions will be taken into mind, and I hope we have a great online fantasy zoo community here on ZooChat!

2. ZooBinh

Sidenote to everyone - IF one of the species you choose for your started eight could cause a taxonomic debate, please go with what is the normal use (unless, of course, the species name was targeted by taxonomic vandals). Let's avoid one of the infamous taxonomic debates here that don't always end merrily.

SpinyLiving and Jambo like this.
  3. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member

I quite like this idea, thus I shall participate.

My zoo is in of a large plot of land mostly forested but with a few open areas of grass here and there. It is located the Texas backcountry (I don't have any city in particular in mind)

2. You must state the size, and a budget to get your zoo to an area where you can start up.

My zoo will be 98 acres large, and will have a budget of starting out of $234,567,891.00

My animals will be: Eastern black rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis michaeli), Gharial (Gavialis gangeticus), Grévy's zebra (Equus grevyi), Malayan tapir (Tapirus indicus), Malayan tiger (Panthera tigris jacksoni), Okapi (Okapia johnstoni), Philippine eagle (Pithecophaga jefferyi), and Western lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla)

The zoo would have three "zones:"

Zone 1: "Asia" - multiple densely forested habitats with large lakes for the tapirs and tigers, several massive aviaries (I mean like SDZ Owen's avairy size) for the eagle, and a massive lake for the gharials

Zone 2: "Africa" - the okapi and gorilla habitats would be like the tiger and tapir ones (minus the large lakes)(and also the gorillas would have many climbing structures in addition to the trees), the zebras and rhinos would have several large savanna habitats

Zone 3: "Rescues" - many multiple-purpose exhibits and aviaries (currently empty). This area will allow the zoo to take in injured local wildlife, in addition to unwanted/confiscated exotic pets. The enclosures would be small to extra large in size to potentially hold anything from sparrows to lions

5. Give one reason for your zoo to be accepted, along with a conservation program for your zoo with one of your eight species.

This zoo should be accredited as we not only focus on saving species but on saving individual animals as well. For of our conservation programs the zoo would work with locals in Africa to stop rhino horn poaching and teach communities the value of these animals.

Also, the zoo's name would be "The A.R.C. Zoological Park" (A.R.C. means "Animal Rescue & Conservation")

Mbwamwitu, Jambo and ZooBinh like this.
  4. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member

I love the sound of this - I don't have much time today but will hopefully be able to come up with a proposal tonight

ZooBinh likes this.
  5. ZooBinh

Good proposal. But, you must prove yourself. Every proposal will have to answer 3 (easy) prompts for accreditation.

1. If, your Philippine Eagle breeding program was subject to a violent animal rights program, what would you do?

2. If, your zoo had an exhibit that is "deemed" boring to the animals, how would you change them

3. What should the public take away as they make their way out of your zoo?

SpinyLiving, Mbwamwitu and Hipporex like this.
  6. ZooBinh

The name of my zoological park is the "Nevada Zoo".

7. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

My zoo:

Cobourg Zoo
    The Cobourg Zoo is on a 79-hectare parcel of land, mostly abandoned farmland. A lake known as Barris Lake is located on zoo properties
    1. Whitetail Deer
    2. Turkey Vulture
    3. Plains Bison
    4. Eastern Moose
    5. Grey Wolf
    6. Black Bear
    7. African Leopard
    8. Biwa Catfish
    The zoo begins with a walkthrough exhibit for the whitetail deer and turkey vultures, with interpretives on animal collisions and how to prevent them. The bison live in a multihectare paddock replicating the central plains of Canada, while the nearby moose live in an enclosure which does a similar thing for northern Ontario's woodlands; the rotating bear and wolf enclosure overlooks the caribou exhibit. The leopards, meanwhile, live in their own enclosure with indoor and outdoor viewing. Finally, the Biwa catfish live in a small pool with a mesh over it to prevent predators from getting in.

The Cobourg Zoo will function to educate visitors on Canada's unique fauna and as a place to conserve them. Conservation efforts at the zoo would include wildlife rehabilitation and coordinating rarer species, such as the Biwa catfish.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2019
    Hipporex likes this.
  8. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member

1. If your Philippine Eagle breeding program was subject to a violent animal rights program, what would you do? We would take this opportunity to educate the public on the importance to captive breeding programs and zoos in general. In this specific case, we would educate the public on the plight of the Philippine eagle and how deforestation through logging and expanding agriculture has brought them to them to edge of extinction.

2. If, your zoo had an exhibit that is deemed "boring" to the animals, how would you change them? We'd practice the three E's: Enrichment, Enrichment, Enrichment. We would do whatever it takes to keep our animals happy, whether that means live prey for our carnivores or mud wallows for our ungulates. We also might establish a rotation system for some of our creatures like the one at the Point Defiance Zoo so the animals would each day be given a new habitat with new smells, sights, and sounds.

3. What should the public take away as they make their way out of your zoo? That animal live matter. That as the dominant species on this planet, it's humanity's job to protect other species. They'd hopefully leave knowing ways they too could protect endangered species, things like not buy palm oil products, not wasting plastic, etc.

SpinyLiving, Mbwamwitu and Jambo like this.
  9. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

The Calamaro Zoo

My zoo is located in a area of large parkland in Brisbane, Australia. The zoo is next to a large urban residential area and the Brisbane river.

My zoo will be 100 acres and will have a starting budget of $300,000,000.

My animals will be: White Cheeked Gibbon, Asian short clawed Otter, Sumatran Tiger, Koala, Yellow footed rock Wallaby, Emu, Rainbow Lorikeet, Zebra Finch.

My zoo will have two themed zones.

1. The Asian trail- This trail will start with an enclosure for the Otters, which will have a small stream running through it which leads to a massive pool with a viewing window. The land in the enclosure will mostly be dirt and large rocks for the otters to climb on. Next will be the Sumatran tiger enclosure which will have an array of plantation in it. It will also have a big lake for the tigers to swim along with several viewing windows including an underwater viewing. Lastly will be an enclosure for White cheeked Giboons. The enclosure will be filled with climbing structures along with a few natural trees, which the Gibbons will have access to

2. The Australian trail- The trail will begin with an enclosure for Koala. The enclosure is not largely sized and features five large Gum trees for them to climb on. Next is a large avairy holding Rainbow Lorikeet and Zebra Finch. Then lastly is a walk-through Emu and Yellow footed rock Wallaby.

My reason for this zoo to be qualified is the Conservation program that will be focused on the Sumatran Tigers and White Cheeked Gibbons. The Conservation program will be about humans harvesting Palm Oil and how that affects the animals who live in the rainforest.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2019
    SpinyLiving, Mbwamwitu and Hipporex like this.
  10. ZooBinh

Welcome to the association!

Current zoos:

Nevada Zoo
    A.R.C Zoo

Mbwamwitu and Hipporex like this.
  11. ZooBinh

Time for your three questions:

1. How does your zoo respond to a water chemistry fluctuation that can kill your whole Biwa Catfish population, ending a conservation program?

2. If the government were to respond to a possible conservation program for a small invertebrate living just in one city, saying that you were to stop this program. How would you compromise?

3. Give one example of a constructive way to reconstruct after a physical disaster.

1. How could your zoo be more phenomenally eco-friendly than other zoos?

2. How would you have a two-sided view on animal rights groups, with their stubborn views, along with our conservational views?

3. If you were faced with a situation where people think that it's not useful to save critically endangered species, as they will probably die out anyway, how will you respond (two-sidedly) to this review?

Mbwamwitu likes this.
  12. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

1. How could your zoo be more phenomenally eco-friendly than other zoos?

We will use Biodegradable waste bags in replacement for normal rubbish bags. At our gift shop we will sell things such as Zoo themed Stainless steel drink bottles and clothes with Recycled fabric. We will also have plenty of bins around the zoo to minimise littering and have lots of Solar pannels installed around the zoo.

2. How would you have a two-sided view on animal rights groups, with their stubborn views, along with our conservational views?

We would encourage the conservational views and educate them more about the views that they share. We would discourage the Stubborn views while also explaining why we disagree with their views and why they should change them.

3. If you were faced with a situation where people think that it's not useful to save critically endangered species, as they will probably die out anyway, how will you respond (two-sidedly) to this review?

We would explain to them why the species are important for the planet and the whole ecosystem around them and that we are doing everything we can to save them for this particular reason. We would also say their view is fine and we won’t obligate against it but the reason stated above is why we are trying to save them from extinction.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2019
    ZooBinh likes this.
  13. ZooBinh

Responses 1 & 3 are amazing, but 2 has a minor problem. By having a two-sided view, you have to enlighten and take part of their view that you agree with, and use that as one of the two views. But, congratulations! You made it!

Current zoos:

Nevada Zoo
    A.R.C Zoo
    Calamaro Zoo

Mbwamwitu and Jambo like this.
  14. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

1. We decide to move the catfish to a simple aquarium tank
    2. Work with another zoo.
    3. Start funding films for further funds.

15. ZooBinh

You need more detail with your responses. Sorry, these responses aren't worthy of an accreditation. I will give you one last chance to give better responses for accreditation.

16. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member

Fife Zoo

1. You must say where the zoo is located and the environment around it: The zoo will be located in a woodland just north of Dunfermline.

There will be 100 acres of land available
    Starting budget: £300 million
    Species: Red Fox, Snow Leopard, Scottish Wildcat, Malayan Tapir, Harpy’s Eagle, American alligator, Masai Ostrich and Helmeted Guineafowl

The fox enclosure will resemble a Scottish forest, with a water area for rehydration, and will be fed a deer's carcass. The snow leopards would get a rocky enclosure, with high fences to prevent escape. There will be good viewing opportunities. The wildcats will be in a large enclosure which will resemble the Scottish Highlands with a replica of a loch ( what we Scottish call lake.) The tapirs will be kept in a indoor enclosure, with an adjacent enclosure which is outdoors for when it’s the right temperature, the tapirs will be let out. The eagles and alligators will share an enclosure ( not quite really, but there’s a invisible fence separating them which will give a vibe of a shared enclosure. This enclosure will be indoors. Then visitors see a large enclosure (1,000sq ft2) which looks like the savannhes of Africa where a large group of each species (Masai Ostrich and Helmeted Guineafowl.)

The aim for this zoo is to provide conservation help for each cat species. The harpy eagles will be a part of a breeding program.

Mbwamwitu likes this.
  17. ZooBinh

I love it! Your questions are:

1. If you had an exhibit for an extremely rare species, and it was easily stressed out. How would you exhibit it without problems?

2. If you had to stop one conservation program, which would it be and how would you make it more beneficial than harmful?

3. How does your zoo respond to animal rights groups?

18. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member

1. What specific species? (I like to live life specifically lol)

2. The wildcats' as there are many collections in Britain that display this species, we can just exchange individuals. Then we can make our own conversation program.

3. By refusing to let them win, with arguments that get too specific and they bail out because you can’t argue with experts, can’t you?

19. ZooBinh

Let's go with Philippine Tarsier as your proposed species.

I love your third response, full of sass! :p

20. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Sure I'll bite.

Bole zoo

A 50 acre zoo located near the outskirts of the Bole region within Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. We have a starting budget of 250,000,000 thanks to the partial funding of Zoo Leipzig.

Species: Gelada, Ethiopian Wolf, Nubian Ibex, Northern (Nubian) Giraffe, East African Oryx, African Lion, Nile Crocodile, Somali Wild Ass

The zoo is currently split into two separate regions, Ethiopian highlands and the Great Rift Valley.

The Ethiopian Highlands is located near the Axum plaza which is the first thing you see entering the zoo. The exhibits are modeled and designed to be like the Simien mountain range with the background of the exhibit being a cliff face and the front of the exhibit being a slightly steep field with the occasional large rocks protruding from the ground. The exhibits with the rocks are home to a troop of 26 geladas (From European zoos) and a herd of 6 Nubian Ibex (From Israeli zoos). The main purpose for not putting the more rare Walia Ibex was due to how more research needed to be done on it's captive needs. The Ethiopian wolves were a lucky risk that was taken by the zoo as the process took too long to help adapt these wolves to a captive lifestyle (training the wolves to eat more accessible rodents instead of big-headed mole rats). The two wolves were wild caught from the Bale Mountains but we caught 5 wolves in total. We wanted to start a breeding program within the zoo so we needed to be sure none of them were related hence why we captured 5 individuals. There is a separate private conservation facility similar to the Smithsonian National zoo were we have housed the rest of the wolves as well as a handful of other species (Including Walia Ibex). They are not apart of the main zoo though. The two wolves have a similar styled exhibit to the mixed species one but less rocks. The wolf exhibit can only be viewed from the boardwalk path that runs through the exhibits while the mixed species exhibit has both glass and boardwalk viewing (Think the Oakland zoo California trail's Jaguar exhibit but without the mesh).

The Great rift valley is a typical African exhibit with the Giraffe exhibit being the largest in the zoo. They have 3 acres of land to run and a large giraffe barn. They share the exhibit with the Oryx who tend to stay near the waterhole. The exhibit is similar in style to Fresno's but at a smaller scale. A separate exhibit is home to Somali Wild Ass and the Lion exhibit overlooks the main savannah exhibit as they can view the ungulates if they climb their rock in the center of their exhibit. The crocodiles have a basic glass viewing of their exhibit and an above view.

(Sorry for overdoing it I tend to go too deep into details)

The zoo want to preserve Ethiopia's fragile wildlife by educating the people as well as participating in conservation efforts in the region (as well as starting some of our own). We also hope to establish breeding populations of Ethiopian wolves and other endemics with other zoos so others can learn about these species and other zoos can use their more advance technology to help preserve the species. We are working very closely with Leipzig and we hope to expand the zoo to other African species as well as Foreign species to the continent so we can be more involved with the zoo community.

Mbwamwitu, Jambo and ZooBinh like this.